Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:21:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How old can one ride?  (Read 2529 times)

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
How old can one ride?
« on: March 26, 2012, 10:22:09 PM »
First of all.. No this does not have to do with any current discussions starting with 'Back in the day.... "

I know tons of riders in their 50s.  Many riders enjoying themselves in their 60s.  Maybe only one older than 70 though that I know?? 

So that is my question ... how old do you plan, or hope, to be still actively riding a motorcycle?  I'm talking be capable of going out and enjoying at least a half a day ride, say a couple hundred miles or so.  There's about ten thousand variables that could be brought into this discussion, I know.

Sometimes I think and expect that my best riding years may be after I retire, when time is ample.  However, I have no idea what age that will be.  Lets just say it is a long ways off.
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
Re: How old can one ride?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 10:59:43 PM »
Well last year at STAR a guy who's name was Glen I think was in his late 60's. Rode like the wind. My relative always ask when am I going to grow up. So I must have a lot of years yet.

Offline Mike Duluth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 07:11:34 AM »
I'll  be 62 this year, at the time I start tipping over at the stop signs, I will be ridin a can am. Won't stop ridin that till I start fallin asleep. I don't know if I will get too old to ride, but I do know I will get old if I stop riding.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 09:55:35 AM by Mike Duluth »
Push Harder

Offline Gramps

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 08:31:24 AM »
You're right Matt...too many variables.
I started in 1970 & plan to continue 'till I can't.
Marc
'13 TEX 1200

Offline 4kless

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 09:11:12 AM »
Earlier this year I went riding with my friend John who lives in north San Diego county. He had just received a 696 monster from his wife for his 78th birthday. He still has 5 bikes in the garage, goes all over the western US and rides offroad with his (adult) kids & grandkids regularly. He's still very smooth in the twisties and can still do the long days (although he has switched to the cruisers for the long stuff). He has no special regimen other than walking a lot with his dogs. Like Gramps I will ride until I can't, and it's nice to know that there is something like the Spyder out there if i get to the point where that is the best option. 

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 01:08:47 PM »
This is a really good question.  I have several friends who quit riding in their late 60s and early 70s.  I used to ask them why, but I didn't understand their answers.

I think I understand better now.  I think the rewards probably diminish, while the perceived risks increase.  I try to remind myself that I won't heal as quickly or completely as I would have 20 or 30 years ago, and I try to remember that my reflexes aren't as good, either.

If I ever get to the point where I don't get enough enjoyment from riding to justify the risks, I'll stop.  And I doubt I'll be anywhere near Ardys Kellerman's level when I do.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ardys+kellerman&ie

She rode over 100,000 miles in 2007 at age 74.  She rode her millionth mile on BMWs last year.

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 01:43:07 PM »
Well I might not be behind the controls, but I sure will be bugging others to give me a ride!
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 02:13:21 PM »
Well I might not be behind the controls, but I sure will be bugging others to give me a ride!
What no riding Gear????? how unsafe :)
Chris
----------

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 05:59:22 PM »
People like Ardys and Voni Glaves just amaze me, not so much for their miles, but for their passion.  Imagine wanting to ride, ride, ride practically full time in your retirement years.  I would love to be the same, but suspect I will not.

As I start looking at that phase of my life on the horizon, I think about things like....finances, health, my relationship with family, especially my wife and daughter.  If things work out, I'll be like George Catt who uses the motorcycle as a vehicle to cross the country 10 times a year to see his grandkids. 

However there are some realities one needs to think about.  Gas is expensive.  Will I even be able to afford to budget for more riding after retirement?  I know guys with nice bikes, but limited budgets who have to count the pennies just to start the bike. 

Anyway....buzzkill....it's still a ways off.   Hard to say where my passion and budget will be in 20 years.