Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:15:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An Example of A Riders Briefing and Ride Posting  (Read 1260 times)

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
An Example of A Riders Briefing and Ride Posting
« on: March 27, 2012, 10:57:20 AM »
My riders briefing and ride postings go something like this (shorter and more implied is probably accurate):

*** PAY ATTENTION ***  THIS STUFF IS ALL IMPORTANT ***

Group tactics
* I will try to keep the group together.
* I will try not to do anything surprising, do us all a favor and try not to surprise those around you.
* Leave enough space and pay attention, nobody wants to hit someone else in the group and nobody wants to be hit.  Crash on your own before you hit me, seriously - I don't want to be hit from behind.
* I will try to avoid running yellow lights.
* I'll use some really basic signals for stuff you probably need to know (debris in the lane, cop), pass them back if you see them.
* Don't be a jerk, respect the farmers, sight-seers, kids and city folk we're riding by, and respect the rest of our group.  Let me know if you're unhappy with something and we'll see if there's something we can do about that.

Passing
* I will pass cars or whatever whenever I think it's appropriate enough, that includes double-yellows sometimes, which is of course "very dangerous".  If there's not enough room or you don't want to, just wait until it's right for you.  Once in awhile I won't pass something, I probably have a reason for not doing so, so I think you should be as patient as I am and just wait it out.
* Don't pass in "our" lane if you can help it.
* If you want to pass me that's great, please do but do it safely.  My routes are pretty stock, my route sheets are pretty good, we wait frequently at pre-determined points, and I'd love to have you lead a section.

Speed
* We will cruise at 8-10 over.  This means that on straights, major boring highways, and anywhere not covered below I'm going to speed, but not much.
* Into, out of, and in towns / cities I will not speed.
* Out in the boonies on roads I like I'm going to ride "my pace", you ride "your pace", I'll make sure you know when we're waiting next so don't ride over your head.  Some of the roads are really tricky and even scary, relax and keep your speed down and eyes up, you'll be fine.  A few sweepers will probably be 80+ but mostly I'll be running 10 or 15 over.  I might give my bike the old Italian tune-up once or twice if the visibility is great, feel free to leave plenty of room and clean yours out too.
* If you get a ticket don't blame me, if I get a ticket I won't blame you.  If anyone gets pulled over I'll stop, if anyone wants to bolt or not stop for others that's your deal and I'm completely fine with that I'll try to cover for you but make no promises, meet us later or not, no big deal.  I'm not going to go looking for you though, I plan to stick to the route sheet unless something crazy happens.

** BOTTOM LINE: I don't want to crash or go to jail and I do want to have a lot of fun; anyone who disagrees with that short list of priorities should probably bail now.

*** PAY ATTENTION ***  THIS STUFF IS ALL IMPORTANT ***
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 11:01:41 AM by Ray916MN »

Offline tk

• View Profile
Re: An Example of A Riders Briefing and Ride Posting
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 03:47:15 PM »
You are more thorough than I am.

I make sure everyone has a routesheet, if applicable.
I tell people to keep a minimum of 2 seconds following distance.
I tell people they can pass other bikes but it should be done in the next
lane over and only on the left.
I ask if anyone has any questions.