Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:38:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

What Should the Forum Do to Foster a More Civil Environment

Rely on Reports of Personal Attack and Uncivil Posts and Moderator Oversight to Delete Posts
22 (55%)
Moderate Posts When A Certain Number of Post Reports Are Received
3 (7.5%)
Implement Karma
1 (2.5%)
Implement a Post Specific Karma (note: May Not Be Technically Possible)
8 (20%)
Allow Original Posters of Topics to Have Moderation Control Over the Threads They Start
6 (15%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: April 16, 2012, 08:15:44 PM

Author Topic: Vote For How to Make The Forum More Civil  (Read 7466 times)

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
Re: Vote For How to Make The Forum More Civil
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 06:49:21 AM »
I'm surprised only 40 voted, I would have guessed more would have. Thank you to those that did vote.
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline feltonjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 07:32:13 PM »
I think that some people take this stuff way too personally. If you are really into how others feel about you, your riding style, or your personality. A forum about bikes may not be the best place for you to spend a lot of time. If members have comments about my riding skills, I might learn something and other members might benefit from a warning that I am painfully slow to ride with. If the truth hurts, that's too bad. If a forum succumbs to a PC attitude in exchange for openness and expression of honest (even misguided) commentary, why even participate? Really, it is easier to ignore the folks you dissagree with than to get upset by their posts.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 09:56:55 PM »
I think that some people take this stuff way too personally. If you are really into how others feel about you, your riding style, or your personality. A forum about bikes may not be the best place for you to spend a lot of time. If members have comments about my riding skills, I might learn something and other members might benefit from a warning that I am painfully slow to ride with. If the truth hurts, that's too bad. If a forum succumbs to a PC attitude in exchange for openness and expression of honest (even misguided) commentary, why even participate? Really, it is easier to ignore the folks you dissagree with than to get upset by their posts.

Not sure that was the point.   I don't believe this had anything to do with people passing advice about riding, as much as it was about strong personalities who potentially send a thread down a negative vibe. 

But to address your thought, it's one thing to ride amongst friends who make friendly light of a goof you made at lunch.  It's another thing to ride with semi-strangers who make judgmental statements about your riding.  I've ridden amongst some of these guys for years and don't have any desire to  start having a stranger start telling me how to ride better.  (I go to ERC and ZARS for that.)  It's a totally unnecessary and negative vibe that tends to make riders stop showing up for rides.  You're better served by soliciting the advice at will, rather than feel obliged to accept it against your will.

Offline mikey

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 07:14:04 PM »

Not sure that was the point.   I don't believe this had anything to do with people passing advice about riding, as much as it was about strong personalities who potentially send a thread down a negative vibe. 

But to address your thought, it's one thing to ride amongst friends who make friendly light of a goof you made at lunch.  It's another thing to ride with semi-strangers who make judgmental statements about your riding.  I've ridden amongst some of these guys for years and don't have any desire to  start having a stranger start telling me how to ride better.  (I go to ERC and ZARS for that.)  It's a totally unnecessary and negative vibe that tends to make riders stop showing up for rides.  You're better served by soliciting the advice at will, rather than feel obliged to accept it against your will.

well said!

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 07:45:49 PM »
Thanks for all the comments and voting folks.

Based on the results. I'll keep looking to see if we can implement a post rating, and if I find one, just like the Karma system I'll turn it on and see what people think. If I find one that will work and looks decent.

With this said, I'm locking the thread.