Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:29:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Street" Line  (Read 10738 times)

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
Re: "Street" Line
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 08:40:40 PM »
By definition the motorcycle has crossed the center line. Is he riding over his head, not even close.

Offline Tim...

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 08:51:58 PM »
Ok, I was hoping for a more thoughtful answer.

My lines, on the street, are dictated by the road conditions and my knowledge of the roads .  Will cross the centerline when I have the site line, as it is, in some circumstances, the safest way to navigate a turn.

Being dogmatic to the PACE, is, IMHO, a fallacy. 

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 09:06:30 PM »
Tim,
   This exact subject WAS beaten to death 2 years ago. Seams like you're just picking a fight.
If you want to split hairs, sure .... some could argue that picture isn't the most flattering a line. What's your point, to embarrass him?
I guess I could take your criticisms more in stride if you were a more active participant in riding.
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 09:16:39 PM »
Looks like a guy having a blast is all I see and a great picture. 

I probably took a thousand curves today and if there was a picture of me taken at everyone there is probably one or two that make me look like the dumbest rider in the world....
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 09:48:27 PM by carlson_mn »
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride

Offline Tim...

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 09:23:15 PM »
Just trying to spark some conversation, and to quote "Great minds talk about ideas. Average minds talk about events. Small minds talk about people."

Tim,
   This exact subject WAS beaten to death 2 years ago. Seams like you're just picking a fight.
If you want to split hairs, sure .... some could argue that picture isn't the most flattering a line. What's your point, to embarrass him?
I guess I could take your criticisms more in stride if you were a more active participant in riding.
Tim,

Duc Man

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2012, 09:49:46 PM »
+1 on a topic beaten to death

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 10:55:03 PM »
Here's a specific discussion of the topic people had and may not want to rehash:

http://mn-msta.com/index.php/topic,359.0.html

a.s.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 11:05:20 PM by aschendel »

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2012, 11:05:52 PM »
Also, these threads are the ones where certain sides of long-lived arguments tend to get fired up and eventually turn passionate / un-civil, and I think if we can keep that from happening yet again, that would be great.

a.s.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 11:08:43 PM by aschendel »

Offline Tumbler

• View Profile
    • Better Livivng Thru Mondern Chemistry
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 01:20:47 AM »
Also, these threads are the ones where certain sides of long-lived arguments tend to get fired up and eventually turn passionate / un-civil, and I think if we can keep that from happening yet again, that would be great.
a.s.

Sometimes that's the best way to gain new knowledge and/or perspective on our own riding style/skills.

While I don't want to see "civil unrest" on the forum I do agree that healthy conversation is a good thing.

Well as long as it remains just that....I do agree sometimes that doesn't happen though.
Mark Cell  612-910-3339    Business website: http://www.amway.com/justlivin
Check it out...great deals for riding season snacks & such!!

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2012, 07:15:27 AM »
 As long as the DUMBS are catered and coddled to on this forum, no thread with any intent of being helpful will ever get any traction. You add to that, the fact that there are too many "just want to ride" attitude members and the overwhelming majority will always be of the mindset of "shut up, I am so good there is nothing you can tell me (without being offended)"or "I am good enough, I don't need to learn anything else or refresh any skills.....ever, I just want to ride to ride"

Just look at the "new" safety section......dead in only 5 days, with little there worth reading anyways.

The attitude of "I don't want to hear it because I am already so good" surely prevails--only a DUMB would actually believe they don't need to improve further or practice what they once knew.

As far as the homepage picture. It is a snapshot in time-it doesn't convey the story or show enough for an "outsider" to know the road, know the circumstances, or know anymore than seeing the lean angle, body position, lane position and make assumptions. Can you really ascertain ones riding skills by a single snapshot? I'll guarantee you this rider is a far better rider than 99% of the people who will ever see this thread.

That said- I don't think it sends the best image of what "we" (I use the phrase lightly nowadays-since clearly "we" has dwindled as the DUMBS have taken control of the attitude on the forum and the rides) represent on this forum to JOE PUBLIC.
 Perhaps had his body not been on top the centerline-the picture would be the perfect grab your attention and wow me picture to portray to JOE PUBLIC. So while I take no offense to the picture, I also know the rider, know the road, ride similarly to the portrayed rider and don't view it as some DUMB on a sportbike trying to drag a knee or take "race lines"....but is it the perfect home page picture? NO. Is it a good home page picture? absolutely.

And since part of the goal Ray talked about is recruitment and public image, a better question may be;
 -Does the homepage picture portray the right image to passersby viewing the forum?

What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2012, 07:35:33 AM »
That said- I don't think it sends the best image of what "we" represent on this forum to JOE PUBLIC.
 Perhaps had his body not been on top the centerline-the picture would be the perfect grab your attention and wow me picture to portray to JOE PUBLIC. So while I take no offense to the picture, I also know the rider, know the road, ride similarly to the portrayed rider and don't view it as some DUMB on a sportbike trying to drag a knee or take "race lines"....but is it the perfect home page picture? NO. Is it a good home page picture? absolutely.

And since part of the goal Ray talked about is recruitment and public image, a better question may be;
 -Does the homepage picture portray the right image to passersby viewing the forum?

I actually don't think the general public thinks much about it unless they are physically right there when it happens.  There probably is a better picture out there somewhere, and there probably is a better question to use as food for thought too.

a.s.

Offline Tumbler

• View Profile
    • Better Livivng Thru Mondern Chemistry
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2012, 07:47:34 AM »
So does "DUMB" stand for something according to you Lloyd?

Just curious due to the way it read.
Mark Cell  612-910-3339    Business website: http://www.amway.com/justlivin
Check it out...great deals for riding season snacks & such!!

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2012, 07:59:57 AM »
That picture is why I chose my signature....

He's over the center line, right?  If so, he's not over enough for me to worry about unless there was a vehicle approaching from the other direction - and since he's not a DUMB, I assume there wasn't.

There are very few riders on this forum that could take that line aggressively without major risk.  Is that something we want to portray?

My lines, on the street, are dictated by the road conditions and my knowledge of the roads .  Will cross the centerline when I have the site line, as it is, in some circumstances, the safest way to navigate a turn.

Being dogmatic to the PACE, is, IMHO, a fallacy. 

Ok, I was hoping for a more thoughtful answer.

Just trying to spark some conversation, and to quote "Great minds talk about ideas. Average minds talk about events. Small minds talk about people."

So you are supporting the line in the picture (willing to cross the center line) and are willing to take some liberties with The Pace, or are against taking risk?  And you're here to spark conversation among a handful of active participants who respect the rider in the picture but then you question the thoughtfulness of responses...  I'd like to question the thoughtfulness of the question; I unfortunately can't tell if you're asking about an Idea, an Event or a Person.

It seems like the general consensus is that this rider, on this road, at the time of the picture, which at least one person witnessed first-hand, was well in control of his bike and not behaving badly.  There also appears to be general agreement that this image may not be the ideal image for the homepage due to the fact that it is possible to misinterpret the risks "we" are willing to take.

I searched for awhile last night trying to find old threads that covered this stuff and found a few.  They usually start with videos posted that are much, much more worthy of inspection and thoughtful dialog than the homepage image.  And there was a user "YUL" that chimed in for awhile...

a.s.

Offline Mike Duluth

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2012, 08:13:56 AM »
Quote from Lloyd, Does the homepage protray the right image to passersby viewing the forum?

Of course it does, most of us think that's what we look like comin around the corner (in our minds anyway) If we are trying to attract non spirited riders it might be the wrong picture. I have been ridin with you guys for over a year now and I have not seen too many of us that don't want to look that cool goin through a corner.

I say if you want to citique someones riding, critique your own. And those that need advise don't be too proud to ask for it.
Push Harder

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2012, 08:58:32 AM »
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82