Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:14:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Street" Line  (Read 10740 times)

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
Re: "Street" Line
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2012, 09:05:52 AM »
By definition the motorcycle has crossed the center line. Is he riding over his head, not even close.
  I searched for local statutes and can't find that MN defines the tires as the definition of what is (or is not) considered to be "within the lane".   Are you aware of other statutes that clarify?   https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=169.18&year=2011

Without clear statute, any officer can make a determination of what is part of the vehicle.

In case there is any confusion, my original post was about the advertising value of the picture when a stated goal of this website is to attract new MSTA members.   I believe that in some corners the safest way around is across the yellow (for example when there is sand in your lane).  However, I don't care to cross the line when there is no reason to.  I enjoy riding curvy roads and find I have a tendency to try to straighten them if I ride them too fast. My observations in group rides is that speed wins out over precision sometimes and then we tend to see the bikes hang over the yellow.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 06:11:36 PM by Aprilian »
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2012, 11:51:47 AM »

Different strokes for different folks.

Note the 4 bikes and their following distance. Even at 40mph that is probably .3 of a second. And this is the national MSTA newsletter.
The outrage!
Harumph harumph!
*sarcasm*

http://ridemsta.com/download/stareview/currentissue/STAReview3101DIGITAL.pdf

« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 01:38:36 PM by Greg »
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline Tim...

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2012, 02:38:42 PM »
So you are supporting the line in the picture (willing to cross the center line) and are willing to take some liberties with The Pace, or are against taking risk?  And you're here to spark conversation among a handful of active participants who respect the rider in the picture but then you question the thoughtfulness of responses...  I'd like to question the thoughtfulness of the question; I unfortunately can't tell if you're asking about an Idea, an Event or a Person.
Have ridden for many years and many miles with the rider in said picture.  My intention is talk about an idea - is this a safe line.

As I mentioned, my line is dictated by a number of environmental factors; and yes it is the line I would take given the factors Vince mentioned previously.

Offline Tumbler

• View Profile
    • Better Livivng Thru Mondern Chemistry
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2012, 02:52:10 PM »
The outrage!
Harumph harumph!
*sarcasm*

Love the "Blazing Saddles" reference.  LOL
Mark Cell  612-910-3339    Business website: http://www.amway.com/justlivin
Check it out...great deals for riding season snacks & such!!

Offline Tim...

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2012, 05:42:53 PM »
Different strokes for different folks.

Look at their lines though, not one of them is anywhere near the double yellows.

What is the point of throwing out meaningless numbers 40 mph and .3s - all that equates to me is 58 2/3 ft, which means what?

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2012, 07:39:47 PM »
My point being that you can find a myriad of photographs in the motorcycling community that exhibit less than perfect riding behavior and the world doesn't stop turning.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 09:45:59 PM by Greg »
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2012, 02:16:29 AM »
Maybe they rode close together just to get the pic? Just sayin..
"you thought you had it bad, try staring at his butt crack the last 50 miles"

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2012, 03:17:44 AM »
Maybe they rode close together just to get the pic? Just sayin..

True... and they are riding slow and most people tend to bunch up at slow speeds. Since they have funny colors on their gear it's okay.
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride