Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:51:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need help choosing a helmet.  (Read 5710 times)

Offline Pipes

• 2008 DL1000 V-Strom
    • View Profile
Need help choosing a helmet.
« on: July 04, 2012, 02:50:36 PM »
Need some help choosing my next helmet.  My last two helmets ( Shoei and AGV ) that I have had push on my forehead and become uncomfortable after an hour or so.  I know that Aria has a longer shape but I was wondering if there are other brands that fit similar.
Paul Johnson

Offline Hope2Ride

• View Profile
Re: Need help choosing a helmet.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 03:05:50 PM »
I've bought two Scorpion exo-1000 and love them. They have the air pumps inside that help make a better fit.

2011 Honda CBR 250R

Offline EdgeRyder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 09:10:57 PM »
Just bought the Exo 1000 this spring and really love it.  Besides the inflatable cheak pads it also has a built in sun visor.    Only complaint is that there isn't much ventilation unless you crack open the sheild.  They just discontinued them last year so you can pick one up fairly cheap.

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 10:27:33 PM »
Those exo's are heavy that's the only thing I have against them
Chris
----------

Offline flyinlow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 06:59:08 AM »
If you're choosing an Arai, you need to take a look at the different models they offer. Each one is made for specific head types, you need to figure out what yours is and choose the right one. Go to Arai's web site and take a look. Also, you need to make sure you have fitted the helmet correctly. There are many dealers that don't know how to fit a person correctly for a helmet. Each manufacturers fitting is a little different, but they all follow some general guidelines. Attached is a doc on helmet fitting

2008 Ducati Monster S4Rs Tricolore

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 09:14:24 AM »
Paul, check out this site. linky
Chris
----------

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 10:08:55 AM »
I think it's safe to say you get what you pay with helmets.  You didn't say which model of Shoei that caused an issue but the new models, like the RF-1100 have removable inserts that allow one to properly fit the helmet.  They tend to be spendy but I usually get a good 6 years out of mine and you only have one brain.

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 04:12:20 PM »
I have 8 years on a KBC VR1 and it fits a long oval very well - with the best of Arai for fitment on my head.  My head goes in and out easy but no slop inside.  I just bought a slightly used one off ebay so I could get all new pads in mine.  I had the same issue as you with helmets being super tight, had to realize I had to real selective on which helmet to wear.  Decide to stick with what works despite the fancy advertising from Arai targeting me...  Try a KBC VR1X you can get new old stock ones on Ebay for about $100. 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 04:18:42 PM by carlson_mn »
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride

Offline Pipes

• 2008 DL1000 V-Strom
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 05:23:44 PM »
Thanks for all the input. Chris I have been there but need to go back to compare the helmets that I am interested in.  I will most likely go to Larsen's in Cambridge to try on as many helmets I can.  I work across the street from Dennis Kirk but it is a pain to try on stuff there.
Paul Johnson

Offline Powershouse

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 09:57:59 AM »
The most knowledgeable folks I've found in town for helmet fit are at Dr. Mudspringer in Spring Lake Park.  They will walk you through fit and selection, and have a variety of pad inserts to get the fit that you need.  They have pretty good prices also.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 08:26:12 PM »
The UK govt posts results of their helmet evaluations.  Take if for what it's worth but it sure appears to have comprehensive test and fitment data.

https://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

Offline kp

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 09:27:11 AM »
Pipes - you're talking about the Arai Profile helmet. It's a long oval shape. I
have the same problem with fitting a helmet. I purchased the Profile a few
years ago and while it's  the best fitting helmet I've had so far I still had to modify
it slightly. I think it feels a bit on the heavy side as well. The visor system to
me is such a huge pain in the ass I'd never recommend it based solely on that.

Sometimes it takes about 30 seconds to change it, sometimes I have to futz with
it for 15 minutes, swear at it and walk away. Then come back and it snaps right
in like it's supposed. And I don't want to hear "you're doing it wrong", this is a
common complaint with the helmet. I know a lot of people that solve the visor
problem by never changing it!

I think my next helmet is going to be a Bell Star or a Nexx.

Offline Pipes

• 2008 DL1000 V-Strom
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 06:15:33 PM »
Pipes - you're talking about the Arai Profile helmet. It's a long oval shape. I
have the same problem with fitting a helmet. I purchased the Profile a few
years ago and while it's  the best fitting helmet I've had so far I still had to modify
it slightly. I think it feels a bit on the heavy side as well. The visor system to
me is such a huge pain in the ass I'd never recommend it based solely on that.

The Aria profile is now discontinued and replaced with the Signet Q.  I need to find a dealer that stocks these helmets so I could try them on.  The Profile is still available in limited quantities.  I went to Larsen Cycle in cambridge and had no luck.  They suggested Bob's cycle.  I might just hold off until next year and try on helmets at the bike show.
Paul Johnson

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 10:31:43 PM »
I tried on helmets at the bike show with great success.  It was fun with all of the factory reps, too.

I really like the Arai.  I understand finding the viser system frustrating, although I learned how to do it well and never had a further problem.  The rep will happily demonstrate, of course.

Even better, it protected my noggin perfectly in my crash.

Offline mikey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 03:07:57 AM »
bell star is prolly the most comfortable helmet i have ever owned.  little on the pricey side, but shop around and you can get last yrs model for 50% off.