Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:12:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MotoGP vs WSBK  (Read 2073 times)

Offline Tim...

• View Profile
MotoGP vs WSBK
« on: July 24, 2012, 06:50:36 PM »
It baffles me that WSBK dominating riders such as Spies and Toseland fall flat on their faces when competing in MotoGP.  Are the riders in MotoGP that much better? It certainly cannot be the bike considering MotoGP has gone to 1000cc.

Don't get it!

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
Re: MotoGP vs WSBK
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 08:05:25 PM »
Are the WSBK bikes easier to ride at their potential, or at least nearer their potential than the MotoGP bikes?

Is it likely that more riders can approach the limits of a Superbike's potential, while fewer riders can come close to mastering MotoGP bikes?

If it were true, then it might help explain why WSBK racing is closer than MotoGP.

Offline Jared

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 08:58:36 PM »
Interested to hear what Ben has to say.  Sounds like there is a some backstory behind his trouble with Yamaha this year.  He podiumed 4 times last year, I don't think the change this year is lack of talent but who knows.

I'm with Brent too.  Seems like you hear a lot from wildcard riders in GP who can't get the brakes up into the temp where they work right (along with different tire tech, chassis, suspension, electronics etc etc etc).

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 01:58:53 PM »
Interesting question, it has been this way for years, John Hopkins comes to mind. I think Brent is on to it, like Jared said you here about the wild cards talking about having all kinds of issues with the lean angles the breaks and suspension.
Chris
----------

Offline slh7d

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 09:20:34 AM »
I have no idea how well Spies communicated with his team about how the bike handles, etc etc, but I think that comes in to play. You need to be able to accurately tell the team what is going on with the bike for them to get it setup correctly, maybe not as much in WSBK.  Prototype vs "Production model"

2010 Ducati Streetfighter S

Offline Tim...

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 12:27:56 AM »
Latest rumor has Spies going back to WSBK replacing Haslam.  Lot to be said over team communication, Melandri dictated his own garage when signing for BMW - looks like the Germans have come to the conclusion that the Italians run a better team as BMW will no longer be a "factory" team for 2013.