Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:20:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Earphones  (Read 6994 times)

Offline allonm

• View Profile
Earphones
« on: June 13, 2012, 08:22:21 AM »
What earphones are you recommending to use under the helmet with your MP3 players when riding your motorcycles? For so many years I have resisted it, but next week I have some long distance riding to  do and maybe this would be a good opportunity to  check this option out.

Thanks,
Allon

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
Re: Earphones
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 08:49:46 AM »
I used custom earphones for years, but since I broke them and haven't fixed them, I've been using my Etymotic ER6i earphones

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Isolator-In-Ear-Earphones/dp/B0002ZW5W4#replacementWidget

which have apparently been superceded:

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Isolating-In-Ear-Earphones/dp/B003S3RFIQ/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

The custom earphones are more comfortable for long days, and they cut out more noise, but the Etymotics sound great and work pretty well for their price.

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 09:11:36 AM »
Best $200 I ever spent. I actually own 2 pairs, one as back up if the other set fails. (Though they never have in years of use)

The company used to have a booth at the motorcycle show at the convention center.

http://www.plugup.com/custom_made_earplug_speakers_stereo_earbudss_s/73.htm
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline motorrad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 09:12:45 AM »
+1 on the Etymotics. They're quite good.

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 09:17:44 AM »
i use the ER6i's as well, for riding occasionally, but mostly for when I'm mowing, etc.

a.s.

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 12:45:23 PM »
I use Etymotic ER6is and have multiple pairs. If you're patient and lucky you can still find them used for a reasonable price. I bought my last pair last month. I'm debating having a set molded into custom ear plugs.

I recently bought a pair of Klipsch S4 earbuds as they were recommended on a forum and available for less than $30. They worked pretty well although they don't provide as much isolation as the ER6i. I also have some other sets but none of them work well enough under a helmet for me to use them when riding. So much of this comes down to fit in the end, so what works will to some degree depends on how well they fit.

Offline Joel S

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 01:44:18 PM »
like everyone else, i have a set of er6is but the page is showing discontinued. http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx
the seal is very good, and it blocks out wind noise and they seem to stay put.  amazon is showing a mc5 as a replacement, but they look much longer, not sure how they would function.

My gift to my self were a set of fitear molded stereo plugs. http://www.fit-ear.com/products-page/motorcycle-stereo-plugs/  i have the m2xb and have been super happy with them. the price is up there but great sound and fit. not sure how the ones greg uses compares for sound quality, but wind noise and filling ears with music seems like a more economical approach. seems like both of ours came from the cycle show. guess that wont help you in a week or two.

next gadget for tunes is my remote. i have a http://www.buyijet.com/remotes.html nav boss v2, use to have the standard black. i have it on my clutch master for easy reach. lets me play, pause, volume up and down next and back. it works great!!   Now if only i can find something similar for my android phone i would be golden.
16 FJR ES               More seat time, less feet time.

Offline allonm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 10:40:16 PM »
Thanks for everyone for the suggestions. I will give  Etymotic a try.

Offline allonm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 07:31:41 PM »
Bought the Etymotic Research ER6i and between Mankato to Worthington MN (The first leg of my 3200 mile trip) I found out I can't stand them. Honestly, my ears are very sensitive and most foam plugs will irritate me.

Bought them last month for $110 on Amazon. Selling for $55. Used them once on the motorcycle and once on the treadmill.

LMK  if you want them. 

Allon

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 10:20:51 PM »
did you try the other tips?  i switched immediately to the grey rubber ones...  i'll take them if you really end up not liking them.  and i agree, ears are a very sensitive body part.

a.s.

Offline 4kless

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 12:27:23 PM »
Allon, sent you a PM on the earphones. I'll take them if you still have them

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 04:41:53 PM »
I hated the ER6's - but thanks to Best Buy for their return policy.  I have used apple's in-ear phones for a couple years now and I am very impressed.  Pretty good sound isolation, they're very comfortable and the price is great, not to mention you can control your ipod or smart phone with the little in line controller that dangles right outside the helmet in a perfect spot.

I hate boomy earphones but the Ety's were too flat down low and a bit bright up top.  Apple's fit somewhere in between.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 04:43:35 PM by carlson_mn »
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride

Offline Hope2Ride

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 12:49:25 AM »
I've used a lot of headphones while riding and I really like the Bose in ear headphones. They are rubber and have 3 different sizes. Cost is $100 and you can even get them at Target. Sound quality is good and they fit well under my helmet. Some earbuds really "stick out" if your ear and are terrible under helmets but the Bose have a flatter shape which I like.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 12:51:03 AM by armybikr »

2011 Honda CBR 250R

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 09:48:51 AM »
Hope,  Don't the Bose have grills on the outside that let some external noise in?
Matt,   You should play with the custom equalizer on your iphone/ipod to fine tune any earbuds you use.

I use the equalizer to push A) the 4k band where I hae some hearing loss and B) the frequencies the same as wind noise to compensate for the helmet noise.

I would like to try the Beats earbuds, but while I have my Sensaphonics custom dual drive monitors, there is no reason to buy a set just to try.
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 04:46:30 PM »
That's a good tip to boost the EQ.  I'll research what f wind noise is, guessing about 300-500hz. 
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride