Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:41:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Why I ride Adventure-Tour Bike  (Read 7786 times)

Offline allonm

• View Profile
Why I ride Adventure-Tour Bike
« on: September 02, 2012, 03:21:54 PM »
Peter Egan said it better than I can.
http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/08/22/why-adventure-touring-bikes-are-so-popular/

and if you still don't believe it, next time we ride together bring your tricked out super bike.  :)

Allon

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
Re: Why I ride Adventure-Tour Bike
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 12:11:33 PM »
 There is not enough drama or passion lately so I'll bite....

So you come onto the forum bashing all of us sportbike riders....My completely non tricked out "superbike" can probably and has probably gone on roads far worse than most of those "adventure tourer" guys ever have taken their bike, plus it will get there and give more pleasure while doing so...

That is ok---you go ride your ride and I will continue to ride mine. I don't much care for your "close" passes and then audacity to wave me back as if you cutting me off is my fault anyways.
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline Mike Duluth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 01:15:01 PM »
I take it back, what do I know anyway.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 06:33:05 PM by Mike Duluth »
Push Harder

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 01:58:01 PM »
They sure are selling a lot of them, they must be doing some things right. :) l could see myself owning one someday. Maybe for a ride to Alaska or similiar!
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 03:10:35 PM »
They sure are selling a lot of them, they must be doing some things right. :)

Do you have some statistical facts to support your hypothesis?

They fit a niche, nothing more nothing less. Nothing better, nothing worse, just a niche. Everyone needs a bike they like and appreciate, so there has to be variety.
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 08:38:17 PM »
I saw these bikes in Europe back in the 80's. I never did understand them. A lot of dirt roads over there at that time. They are just a cheap standard bike. They are foe foe bikes. Not really good at this and not really good at that. They are heavier than a standard street bike and almost 3x that of a good dirt bike so what the heck good are they. Some of these bike even come with traction control. Tell me why on a dirt bike would you need this. Are you going to ride this tank in the mud. Maybe do a little ice racing. No I don't think so. The saddle bags are just Army surplus junk. Don't you guys remember seeing them. And what dirt bike come with a wind shield or a road racing fairing. Come on here. At STAR this summer I beat a hot shot to the top of Rocky Mountain National Park taking the dirt road for 11 miles and the other guy took the paved road for 15. I was on my ZX10R. Good thing you weren't riding with me that day Allonm. Lol. I did stop and took some pictures of the road with my bike on it.

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 07:45:10 AM »
Seams to me those Adventure-Tour bikes are also filling a niche in the sport-touring category that is lacking in choices in recent years. "Seasoned" guys and gals who don't really want the weight (or cost) of the Goldwings, ST's or FJR's are drawn to the ADV bikes. They sure look comfy (you know, from a "seasoned" riders perspective :P)

These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 09:24:44 AM »
now that i can get KTC-80's in the right size, i plan to make it to the top of the world on my ninja...

a.s.

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 09:33:57 AM »
I like ADV bikes.

More suspension travel
Equipped for water crossings
Lots of luggage options
And if it tips over... who cares?

But I agree with Vince that MANY riders use them as lightweight touring bikes.

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 11:02:05 AM »
and if you still don't believe it, next time we ride together bring your tricked out super bike.  :)
What is wrong with this statement.
You are telling others what to ride. You bought your bike because you like the way it looks. Or the price or where it is made or maybe it is because of the way you ride. Good for you. I don't have one bike you know I have many. And for a reason. I don't like bikes that don't do anything well. So I have single purpose bikes because I have the money to do so.
Just look at your bike. It has a windshield that isn't good for anything but lowering your gas mileage. Tires that aren't good for the street or the dirt. Look up why those tire are here. It is because of environment people thought knobby tires were hard on mother earth. Remember here the bike is for off road use.
Look at my Harley a good for nothing bike really. It does one of two things and I have two. One for making noise and the other for being cool.
My Goldwing. Come on we know that this bike is 2nd to none. You what to compare this to yours. No you don't. You surely don't what to compare it to my ZX10R. Smaller motor with twice the HP. Less weight, faster and yes easier to seat on. Better gas mileage as well.
Or how about my KTM EXC 200 Jack Piner. I have to stop for about 10 minutes. OK I stopped laughing.
I could go on and on but you get on your ADV bike. Go to the store and get a gallon of milk, ride back on the paved roads and up your dirt driveway. I am still not going to buy one of those bikes. I am glad you like yours.

Offline allonm

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 11:31:26 AM »
Personal  attack from someone I have never ridden before, but know that caused a few  of the regular MN  MSTA members to leave this forum???
I didn’t know who is “Mister” and  it took me a little digging to find out.  Now I am not surprised.
I am not bashing, I am suggesting and quoted one of the more respected motorcycle writers in the industry to  back it up. This is a “ Motorcycle Sport Touring Club” AKA MSTA. Which in such, most club members are into   sport touring.
Yes, there are the purist that ride bikes like the 916  for miles on (admirable) and on the other end of the spectrum you have the Iron Butt guys whom a lot of them ride Vstroms and GS (which had been around for 30 years now, and has been the number one seller for BMW for years)
If you ever been to  one of the national MSTA  rallies you would see that sport bikes are a minority.
I myself owned and still own a sport bike and other than the race track or small sections of roads like 95 from Hanson to  Arcadia, I would chose my adventure tour bike almost anywhere else.
For me, the current generation sport bike are way more aggressive than I like them to  be. The YZFs CBR etc.. from a decade ago would be considered sport touring bikes today.
I was skeptical and didn’t understand it for many years myself. Even when my favorite ridding buddy trader his 999 for a multistrada I wasn’t entirely convinced. People who know me  here, know I take my riding seriously. Just like when I go to  a ride and go over the route before hand and make sure my bike and gear is in perfect working condition, I don’t make bike statements and chose a bike on a whim.  I considered a light weight Sport tour bikes such as the Ninja 1000 or a used VFR800 and after over 6000 miles on my current bike in the last few months, I am very happy with my decision. These are not dirt bikes and have no intention of being one.  These bikes are intended for long distance riding, on street legal roads (paved or not) do two up in comfort and carry luggage and accessories at ease.  Just a few months ago MCNews did a Sport tour comparison and stated that they would have chosen the camera bike, an ADV bike, which was not part of the comparison, as the winner. 

So come to  the  MSTA endorsed ride I am putting together next weekend on your sport bike, which is mostly on legal roads in a 70 mile radius of the twin cities.  Personally, I wouldn’t have an issue running it on my old school sport bike, but I would definitely be more comfortable with my  ADV bike.

PS: I am done with this debate and have no intention and time to  continue this on my end. 

So you come onto the forum bashing all of us sportbike riders....My completely non tricked out "superbike" can probably and has probably gone on roads far worse than most of those "adventure tourer" guys ever have taken their bike, plus it will get there and give more pleasure while doing so...

That is ok---you go ride your ride and I will continue to ride mine. I don't much care for your "close" passes and then audacity to wave me back as if you cutting me off is my fault anyways.

Offline Stinger

• Yea Hey Der
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 11:47:56 AM »
Yikes  :o why the anger...

Allon

Posting some more info on Sunday ride?
Roger
I still dislike forums.
Red PC800, White DRZ400S, Black FTR1200S, Red Multistrada 1200S

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 12:21:57 PM »
Personal  attack from someone I have never ridden before, but know that caused a few  of the regular MN  MSTA members to leave this forum???
I didn’t know who is “Mister” and  it took me a little digging to find out.  Now I am not surprised.
I am not bashing, I am suggesting and quoted one of the more respected motorcycle writers in the industry to  back it up. This is a “ Motorcycle Sport Touring Club” AKA MSTA. Which in such, most club members are into   sport touring.
Yes, there are the purist that ride bikes like the 916  for miles on (admirable) and on the other end of the spectrum you have the Iron Butt guys whom a lot of them ride Vstroms and GS (which had been around for 30 years now, and has been the number one seller for BMW for years)
If you ever been to  one of the national MSTA  rallies you would see that sport bikes are a minority.
I myself owned and still own a sport bike and other than the race track or small sections of roads like 95 from Hanson to  Arcadia, I would chose my adventure tour bike almost anywhere else.
For me, the current generation sport bike are way more aggressive than I like them to  be. The YZFs CBR etc.. from a decade ago would be considered sport touring bikes today.
I was skeptical and didn’t understand it for many years myself. Even when my favorite ridding buddy trader his 999 for a multistrada I wasn’t entirely convinced. People who know me  here, know I take my riding seriously. Just like when I go to  a ride and go over the route before hand and make sure my bike and gear is in perfect working condition, I don’t make bike statements and chose a bike on a whim.  I considered a light weight Sport tour bikes such as the Ninja 1000 or a used VFR800 and after over 6000 miles on my current bike in the last few months, I am very happy with my decision. These are not dirt bikes and have no intention of being one.  These bikes are intended for long distance riding, on street legal roads (paved or not) do two up in comfort and carry luggage and accessories at ease.  Just a few months ago MCNews did a Sport tour comparison and stated that they would have chosen the camera bike, an ADV bike, which was not part of the comparison, as the winner. 

So come to  the  MSTA endorsed ride I am putting together next weekend on your sport bike, which is mostly on legal roads in a 70 mile radius of the twin cities.  Personally, I wouldn’t have an issue running it on my old school sport bike, but I would definitely be more comfortable with my  ADV bike.

PS: I am done with this debate and have no intention and time to  continue this on my end. 

Mine was not a " personal attack"---so go cry wolf to somebody who gives a shit.

My statement was FACTUAL and ACCURATE. We did ride together once, and that was too much for me. You lingered at the back of the group that was spaced perhaps 100' between riders and as we came down C nearing 95 to head up towards E you suddenly decided you NEEDED to be at the front on Rays ass up the hill. So as you cut off riders one after another you did your typical douchebag move of acting like they were crowding you because you chose to put yourself into a spot on the road where there was no room for you. So your hand wave of trying to push riders back....so uncool.

This is why I will not ride with you, you didn't get up the hill any faster or take the turns any faster than had you stayed in the back where you started, as a matter of fact you held me up all the way up the hill as you steadily lost ground on Ray. You are a selfish rider, and not that good based on my experience with that one ride.

I already stated, hey great good for you that you like your bike, but that doesn't mean it is the bike for everyone or anyone, which seems to be what you are selling or ass kissing.
  It is just another bike, who cares. So go ride whatever roads you want on your adventure bike and I'll ride all the roads I want on my sportbike, by the grace of the motorcycle god may we not ever cross paths again.

Not a chance in hell I would attend a ride you post up, so go have fun on Sunday.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 12:34:51 PM »
now that i can get KTC-80's in the right size, i plan to make it to the top of the world on my ninja...

a.s.

As long as it doesn't rain. They suck in the wet.

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 12:47:22 PM »
I must have interpreted the article wrong, he said he prefers a smaller lighter bike most of the time and likened big ADV bikes to SUVs, i.e., good for some.

Anyhow, I do think that ADV bikes are interesting even heavy, breakable and expensive as they are, and I love reading the stories some people find on them as the ADV folks appear quite willing to type / share at a commitment level not many other groups seem to attain.

I'm not ready to compromise (at least that's what I'll call it) yet.  I can ride a sportbike on gravel well enough to get to my own stories/memories, and I've always made it back thus far...  Stuck up to the fairings once in the mud, by myself, that sucked pretty bad, but polished off the final 850 miles of my SS1000 once some strangers got me out.

I was looking for details about your next ride, are they posted somewhere?

Thanks,

Andy