Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:39:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Helmets, as in buying a new one.  (Read 3443 times)

Offline Sanders

• View Profile
Helmets, as in buying a new one.
« on: May 06, 2010, 04:01:07 PM »
Seems like the on-line prices are the same everywhere. Even the same as Brick and Mortar. Price fixing in place?
Last edited by Temporal Security Agency: 8-25-2026 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Deleted unlawful reference to future history

Offline dl

• View Profile
Re: Helmets, as in buying a new one.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 04:42:26 PM »
Ha ha, "Bug Run"
'99 Sprint ST

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 07:44:40 PM »
Seems like the on-line prices are the same everywhere. Even the same as Brick and Mortar. Price fixing in place?

As best as I can tell, no one really inventories many helmets, and everyone gets them from the same distributors, so if they don't sell a helmet, they don't get profit, but they also don't have inventory carrying costs driving them to discount heavily to get it to move. Retailers with inventory, don't discount, because they don't want to undermine their in store inventory prices. The sellers with inventory to liquidate are the only folks who seem to discount beyond the norm, and most of them only have a few helmets to move. The place of choice to move a few units of excess inventory seems to be Ebay. I've bought a few helmets over the years off Ebay.

PKPK

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 08:21:54 PM »
Another avenue is to look for clear-out deals on older models.  Distributors do not want to carry old stock when a new model comes out.  Yeah, you won't get the bleeding edge material but you can buy a nice graphic lid for half price (or more) on one of these flushes.

Offline dl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 08:48:04 PM »
The Dennis Kirk scratch and dent store in Rush City always seamed to have a large selection and lower prices. But they may or may not have your brand, color, size. Its been a few years since I've been there,
'99 Sprint ST

Offline Sanders

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 04:47:23 AM »
I have a wierd shaped melon (no comments from the Kolbo gallery) a long oval in XL with all kinds of dents and bumps so when I find one that fits that is my priority and then I'll look for it in solid white.
8 yrs or so back I found a $200 difference between on line and B and M prices on the Arai Signet
Thanks for you help.

Jeff
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 02:45:30 PM by Sanders »
Last edited by Temporal Security Agency: 8-25-2026 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Deleted unlawful reference to future history

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 04:17:31 PM »
Sanders, Some brands are price protected, so the online seller can't show their true price.  Those sites usually say, "Call for our best price."

Lloyd, I snapped a sideplate on my Shoei a few weeks ago and brought a replacement sideplate from Midwest Cycle Supply.  Depending on your brand, you may be able to replace the broken part (for example Icon are known for not supplying replacement parts).  Check the online helmet sellers for highest probablity of finding the part.  GL  
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 07:25:24 PM »
I know that if Dennis Kirk sells the helmet they have replacement parts in stock.

Offline allonm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 06:00:57 PM »
Bought the new RX-Q from the Helmet shop a couple of weeks ago. It's my third Arai from that place. I tried other brands, but they don't work for me.(Although I still have hard time with taking off and putting back an Arai shield. ) The helmet shop final price was almost $100 less than what is advertised on their web site. Once you check out, they give you the discounted price. Very strange, but it was a good surprise.  I am very happy to have the brow vent again.  ;D