Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:04:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Winter  (Read 6457 times)

boatwhiskers

Winter
« on: November 29, 2012, 08:53:21 AM »
I can already tell it is going to be a long off season.  :(
As I put away the bikes, the gear, and installed the plow on the wheeler, I couldn't help but feel a bit of sadness come over me.
Sure there are many other things to do, but, none have the ability to lift my spirit quite the way a brisk ride does.
I was just wondering if this time of year has the same effect on anyone else?
The wife say's "it's just me" I say maybe, maybe not.

JP

Offline Mike Duluth

• View Profile
Re: Winter
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 08:57:39 AM »
I know it's going to be a  long winter because I sold my sled. First time I'm sledless in over 15 years. I'm thinking of going out west or south on some bike trips instead.
Push Harder

Offline Hope2Ride

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 09:21:05 AM »
Winter sucks. Riding clears my head and is a nice stress reliever and a way to forget about everything for a while. When I can't ride I like to read books on riding like Twist of the Wrist, etc. I'm also taking my bike apart, fixing up a couple things and cleaning it up really well. Addiitonally, my gear all needs a good cleaning and all that will take time. During the summer I would always rather be riding then cleaning and reading so winter is perfect for this. I keep going to bike nights and staying in touch with riding friends. I also have a boatload of maps and have started planning new routes and new trips already for next season. By the time summer gets here I'm already going to have a list of places to go ride and explore. Lastly, I'm hoping to get more hours at work so I can either make mods to my current bike or upgrade to a newer one. I think with all this planned, winter will go by quickly and next thing I know I'll be back out there on the open road  ;D

2011 Honda CBR 250R

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 09:26:48 AM »
I love Christmas.  So it doesn't really hit me until the first week of January.  But then the IMS (International Motorcycle Show) happens and the waiting isn't so bad.  Once mid February rolls in, I start on my motorcycle projects and wrench on the bikes until the weather warms.

This routine has worked well for me over the years.  Ones of these days I'll start an ice bike project, and that will be my solution.

Offline Busa dave

• Faster for the Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 10:04:59 AM »
There are a number of things to do to keep busy and have fun. TONIGHT (Thursday) some of us are going Go-Kart racing in Maple Grove at 7pm...   www.prokartindoor.com     :)

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 10:26:54 AM »
There are a number of things to do to keep busy and have fun. TONIGHT (Thursday) some of us are going Go-Kart racing in Maple Grove at 7pm...   www.prokartindoor.com     :)

I'm excited.
"you thought you had it bad, try staring at his butt crack the last 50 miles"

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 10:42:29 AM »
Over Thanksgiving I pulled the wheels, shipped the suspension out for modification, read six months worth of bike mags and cleaned my riding gear.     I think the rest of the winter might be loooooooooooooooooooooooooong.

Prokart pit bike riding was a fantastic way to love the winter, but a bad accident there made it unlikely I'll ever use that activity to counteract cabin fever.

I can tell it is the winter by the foul mood of some of the recent posts.

As I try to remind everyone at the beginning of the winter, talk to your insurer about taking collision and comp off your bike (since it isn't moving till spring).   I just got my $100 refund which is going right into the suspension mods.
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline Tim...

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 05:38:42 PM »
If there is a lien on the vehicle, full coverage is always required by the lenders I have dealt with.  Some insurance companies may drop your rate during the winter months of the frozen "north", but the required coverage is the same.

Please tell me that I am wrong, and point me in the right direction.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 05:42:07 PM by Tim... »

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 08:13:33 PM »
I don't see it that way.  If your bike is parked and you have it insured against all possible losses, the bank shouldn't have any additional risk. However, if they think you are trying to play a game, they may say "no dice".  You should talk to the bank/CU.

Personally, I pay cash for all my bikes, unless they offer me 0% loans.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 08:15:39 PM by Aprilian »
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline Tumbler

• View Profile
    • Better Livivng Thru Mondern Chemistry
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 01:26:54 AM »
The way my State Farm agent explained my policy is that State Farm compensates for the fact that bikes are typically only ridden six months out of the year.

So they prorate the whole thing over 12 months which is why my GSX-R is about $80/month year round.  I did ask to take those two off but that was the explanation I got.

I'm sure every agent & company may be different on this.

As for me & winter.....I used to love it when I had a sled or had extra money to go downhill skiing but that hasn't been the case the past few winters.

Maybe a four wheeler may be in order instead of a sled.  That way I have another toy to ride in the summer (which my dad also rides them) and could stud it up for fun on the ice & ice fishing trips.

Uh oh...the list of wants is getting longer!!!  Must....work.....more....hours!!!  LOL
Mark Cell  612-910-3339    Business website: http://www.amway.com/justlivin
Check it out...great deals for riding season snacks & such!!

Offline flyinlow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 11:50:51 AM »
I have State Farm as well and they do set up their rates because you are not riding in the winter. Also, its great if you decide to throw it on the trailer in January and head south, you don't have to remember to put the insurance back on it. I did look into canceling the collision part over the winter and it would save less than $20 on my policy.

Every insurance company is different though, your mileage may vary.

I focus more on my photography in the winter, try to get away someplace warm in Jan. or Feb., but generally hibernate as I'm not a winter person, even though I've lived in this climate my whole life.

2008 Ducati Monster S4Rs Tricolore

boatwhiskers

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 01:42:24 PM »

Dave that sounds like fun! Your right! there are lots of things to do! (Although I haven't been able to fit in a go cart since I was 6' 210lbs. @ 12yo.) lol.

Offline Tim...

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 02:24:28 PM »
Even if you take out a 0% loan, there is still a lien on the vehicle and the lender will require full insurance coverage 365 days a year.

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 08:17:09 PM »
With progressive I just knock my insurance from collision down to liability only.  The annual premium I pay for full coverage is about $250 and liability is $85 so I get whatever that difference is over ~3-4 months I don't ride. 

I'd have a hard time stomaching paying $80 a month for a bike year round!  Damn.
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride

Offline flyinlow

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 06:46:22 PM »
With progressive I just knock my insurance from collision down to liability only.  The annual premium I pay for full coverage is about $250 and liability is $85 so I get whatever that difference is over ~3-4 months I don't ride. 

I'd have a hard time stomaching paying $80 a month for a bike year round!  Damn.

Don't you mean you knock it down to comprehensive? Collision and liability should only be needed if you're riding it.

2008 Ducati Monster S4Rs Tricolore