Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:03:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Truck Ramp  (Read 3219 times)

Offline ARS

• memory's the second thing to go I forget the first
    • View Profile
Truck Ramp
« on: December 06, 2012, 08:55:10 PM »
I threw this on the ZGGTR.org forum, but I thought I'd query the locals too. . .

. . .I have a perfectly good aluminum low rider trailer/ramp combo, but I'd like to get the bike in the back of the truck.  I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive ramp system that won't put me on a ramen noodle diet for the next three years. . . and yeah I know. . ."why not ride it instead of haul it". . .my bride is great on the back, but if it rains or gets too cold, mama ain't happy and 'course if she ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!

Bill

C14

Offline RCKT GRL

• View Profile
Re: Truck Ramp
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 09:05:13 PM »
I use this type of ramp.  Fold it up & slide it in next to my bike. 

http://www.discountramps.com/wide-atv-ramp.htm
Those who have actually NEVER tried riding the track could learn a thing or 10 about being a better streetrider; because let's be honest; none of us (Greg) are as great as we think we are. LMAO!

Offline ARS

• memory's the second thing to go I forget the first
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 10:00:02 PM »
Thanks Rocket.  I got this reply from the zggtr.org. . .it looks like it has a lower angle of attach, but a bit more expensive ($300) . . . 

http://www.discountramps.com/black-widow-motorcycle-ramp.htm

Both yours and the discount ramps are bifold, but yours is a lateral bifold and it looks like it makes for easier storage.  If I can clear the tailgate w/o bottoming out my C14, I'm sold.

Much appreciated.

Bill

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 02:32:53 AM »
http://maddogproducts.com/

These guys are local and they make a fine product.  I've been told that their warranty policies are fantastic; replace without question.  But I wouldn't know... mine has been rock solid.

Offline RCKT GRL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 09:36:16 AM »
As a side note when loading, you will want to utilize a way to have the tail-end of your truck lower to help reduce the chance of bottoming out when loading.   A nice thing about a ramp this wide is you are able to walk it up and/or down.  (I ride mine up when loading and walk it down when unloading)

I normally load at the end of my driveway and drop the rear wheels off of the curb.  Works great.  Also, since my bike is longer than the box of my truck, I do have to use a tie town strap to secure the tailgate closed.  I've never had any issues and I've hauled bikes from here to Texas. 
Those who have actually NEVER tried riding the track could learn a thing or 10 about being a better streetrider; because let's be honest; none of us (Greg) are as great as we think we are. LMAO!

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 10:51:34 AM »
i use a basic, wide tri-fold from northern tool and other than wishing i would have got the longer version it works fine.  i also use the curb / angle trick to gain the needed clearance at my house, although when loading or unloading at other places sometimes it takes a little creativity.

a.s.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 01:49:50 PM »
If I understand, you are looking for an inexpensive ramp to load a new model Connie?  I'm not sure I would trust myself to load something that heavy (688 lbs curb weight), let alone trust an inexpensive ramp to hold up to that sort of load.  I wouldn't use any folding ramp for this bike but that's just me.

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 07:22:44 PM »
If I understand, you are looking for an inexpensive ramp to load a new model Connie?  I'm not sure I would trust myself to load something that heavy (688 lbs curb weight), let alone trust an inexpensive ramp to hold up to that sort of load.  I wouldn't use any folding ramp for this bike but that's just me.
I agree, with that weight + you (guessing your a guy so 200+), thats almost 900LBS so you will need to look at something that can do 1K LBS or more, and that will cost $.
Can I ask why not get a little trailer?
Chris
----------

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 08:26:43 PM »
The first one Denyse posted for $127 has a 1200lb weight load and I think combined with finding a grade to back the truck up to would be easy to do yourself.  Certainly get one that is wide enough to straddle your bike or walk beside.  With the C14 or my FJR you would certainly be straddling it going up and down. 
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride

Offline Tim...

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 08:50:04 PM »
Pidgin Killer is definitely 200+  :-\

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 10:00:37 AM »
Pidgin Killer is definitely 200+  :-\

Wrong.  185  I'm proud to keep it there.