Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:05:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Heads-Up...2 MC Permits issued this week...  (Read 2524 times)

Offline Plus_P

• View Profile
Heads-Up...2 MC Permits issued this week...
« on: May 23, 2013, 12:56:50 AM »
...to my two sons, Austin (19) and Blake (18). Austin got his project CBR1000F back into running condition after a couple months of tinkering, and that was his motivation to get legal. I took it out for a few miles in one of the "dry" half hours this week, it does what it's supposed to. Not a great "learners" bike by any means, unless your in training for a rhino rodeo, but it may hit Craigslist very soon, make a couple dollars profit, or at least break even, and a more suitable "first bike" acquired.
Blake saw gas hit $4+ and thinks his plan is a good one, to ride this "great deal" he can get from one of his buddies...a '72 Yamaha AT2 125 (yep 2-stroke) street legal enduro. So far, everytime that one has left the garage, it has gotten quietly pushed back in. Good exercise program, if nothing else.
Debbie and I could see what was coming, so for their birthdays a couple weeks ago we gave them each a Basic Rider Course...hopefully they pick dates soon, before acquiring any bad habits, or lessons learned the hard way (but is there another way to learn them?!?)
+Wade
Wade T. (Plus_P)
Crew Chief
www.cqcmotorsports.com

2011 GSXR750 (Wrench it II)
2008 CBR1000RR (Wrench it)
2006 GSX-R 600 (Track only)
2004 KLX110 (Ride it, winter)
2003 Aprilia Falco (Ride it)
1987 Yamaha FZ600 (Revived it, Sold it)
1982 Honda XL250R (Seized it, gave it away)

Offline Jared

• View Profile
Re: Heads-Up...2 MC Permits issued this week...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 06:51:26 AM »
Congrats (I think) Wade!

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 08:43:56 AM »
Here was my recipe with Nathan.
1) buy fixer up so he learned how a bike worked and earned "sweat equity"
2) age 15 - take rider course on school's bike
3) age 16 take rider course on the bike we rebuilt
4) ride with me only
5) allow to ride by himself
6) he moved out before we got to the part about taking a passenger

Good kid, good lessons, he now works for a dealership FT while going to colllege.

I suggest you consider #3 have the guys take the course on the bikes they have decided to own.

Other than that, congratulations.   People used to hassle me about teaching Nathan to ride.   I would tell them A) if he died in a car accident, would you seriously fault me for teaching him to drive a car?  If not, then don't hassle me about teaching him to ride.  B) Ships are safest in port, but that is not what boats were made for.  (most people struggled to understand that one).
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 09:54:27 AM by Aprilian »
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline kkralickus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 09:47:41 AM »
Agreed - can't live in a hole.

I drop my 11-year-old off for school on the back of my Beemer.  He wears an Aerostitch jacket & an enduro helmet.  I could bubble-wrap him in the back of a Suburban but what good is that?

I agree with all on the rider classes.  My first bike was a 1983 Yamaha xt250.  Took the rider course on that thing.

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 06:40:05 PM »
Congrats to your boys!

I'd also suggest the dirtbiketech http://www.dirtbiketech.com/ dirt bike school. Frankly in hindsight, I think it is better to take this course before you take the BRC.

Offline Plus_P

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 12:18:12 AM »
How have I never heard of dirtbiketech.com? And the May course was about 10 miles from us, at Waldoch!?! Thanks for the heads-up on that Ray, good info.
Aprilian: Anchors Away!

Austin and I went out for a 70 mile loop today...nice that the rain stayed away today. I know I will enjoy riding with him, he used his head, rode his (and that monstrous bike's) own pace, took instructions well and made good observations along the way.
Blake has given up on the Yamaha 125. After struggling to keep it running this week, a cold/hot compression test got done, and explained the problem...hopefully he can find another cheap (more) reliable ride soon, although he leaves for basic training in 8 weeks.
Race Team is off to Raod America tomorrow, for the ZARS Track Day on Monday/Tuesday. Should be fun, fairly laid back. Matt is a Control Rider for the NOV group, but hopefully we get in a few sessions of testing/tuning, for the CCS race there in 5 weeks. AMA races there next weekend, so there are supposed to be some AMA Pro teams testing/tuning with ZARS. I'll be interested to see their crews in action.
+Wade
Wade T. (Plus_P)
Crew Chief
www.cqcmotorsports.com

2011 GSXR750 (Wrench it II)
2008 CBR1000RR (Wrench it)
2006 GSX-R 600 (Track only)
2004 KLX110 (Ride it, winter)
2003 Aprilia Falco (Ride it)
1987 Yamaha FZ600 (Revived it, Sold it)
1982 Honda XL250R (Seized it, gave it away)