Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:58:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: It's time for a mini-van  (Read 6716 times)

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
It's time for a mini-van
« on: January 23, 2013, 08:43:45 AM »
My daughter is almost two and my son will be born around the time of her birthday.

So... I find myself actually WANTING a mini-van.  The size, the conveniences,  the practicality all seem so appealing to me now.  When I was in my twenties (as many 20-something males do), I DETESTED mini-vans and would never consider driving one, nevermind owning one.  Curious that I could have swung so dramatically, yes?

The demographics of this forum seem to really stretch as far as median age.  So I thought I'd ask this population:  At what point did you start appreciating the practical things in life?  Kids? perhaps at a certain age?  when you started an actual career rather than 'just a job'?

And to the youths... get off my lawn and don't touch my motorcycles.  No, I WON'T buy a coupon book to support your wrestling team and SLOW DOWN when you drive through the neighborhood!  ;D

Offline v2Neal

• View Profile
Re: It's time for a mini-van
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 12:35:12 PM »
"I wanna crucify you to your front door with nails from your well-stocked garage Family Man"

Sorry, tangent ...

I've had a few mini vans - 3 Astro's and 5 Caravan/Voyager's. I just got my new 2013 Dodge last week. So far I like it. It's a nice upgrade from the 2010 Voyager I had. As I was waiting to pick it up I wandered around the showroom, and thought to myself that a minivan is probably one of the better values out there.
I have been able to cary almost anything in my vans. 4x8 sheet's of plywood or sheetrock, no problem. I've had an RZ350, SuperHawk, and Ninja 250 in my Caravan/Voyager with no issues other than odd looks when you unload it.
My Caravan/Voyagers have all been provided by work as lease vehicles that we turn in at 85,xxx miles. Very few issues with them in that time. The 2003 tossed the trans at 30K (known problem), the 2010 had horrible brakes, and I'm not sure yet about the 6 speed auto in the 2013. It just feels weird. Otherwise solid.

Happy Shopping!

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 01:14:08 PM »
Well thank you for the tips, good sir.

Now was that 3 bikes all in the same load?  ...or you hauled one at a time?   ;D

Offline v2Neal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 04:20:26 PM »
Sorry to ruin your three way in a mini van fantasy, but yeah, one at a time.

Offline gdawgs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 12:16:24 AM »
i swore off mini vans also, and protested as my wife forced one into our family.  a year later with 3 kids in tow....there is no comparison when it comes to practicality and fuel efficiency.  it is the first option we choose everytime we go any where due to convenience. 
i was hoping to squeeze in a 4dr crew cab or a suburban.  at least for us, those are down the road because both have trade offs, whereas the grand caravan has little tradeoff except the looks.  after a month or two, you really don't care what it looks like due to the practicality. 

Offline Mike Duluth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 07:39:09 AM »
I don't have kids, but still use a Venture van for just about everything. I will tow two bikes, load it with gear and still get 18 to 20 mpg. Pull the seats and get 4x8 sheets of drywall in it, plus some 2x4s. Front wheel drive so you can put some snows on it and go just about anywhere in the snow too. I will always take a VM over other utility rigs.
Push Harder

Offline RidinAgain

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 09:41:43 AM »
My wife always had a lot of fun at Home Depot putting in 4X8 sheets of whatever flat in the back of our '98 Grand Voyager while the pickup truck guys were struggling to even get them in their micro box let alone lay flat. She even said to one macho guy that he should of gotten a mini van instead of the truck he had.... :o

Have had three of them in the past/present.  '89 Grand Caravan - sold it with 250K, one transmission and two head repairs for sliding valve guides (3.0 Mitsu) not to mention numerous sets of front rotors, '98 Grand Voyager - sold with 200K, one transmission, one AC compressor and one PS pump not to mention numerous sets for front rotors - 3.3L Chrysler.  Now I have a '09 Odyssey with 50K on it, only a set of front rotors, rear wheel bearing (warranty) and a SW update for the trans. - so far so good. 

I know it seems I am hard on front rotors but mini vans seem to eat them.... ???

All my kids are gone now but I still have the Ody for work.  Easy to get customers in and out and I am not a small man myself so the extra space is nice.

Practicality trumps the perception stigma in my opinion.....

Steve

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 09:54:03 AM »
Practicality trumps the perception stigma in my opinion.....

Agreed.

The 2013 Nissan Quest has my attention now.  It's not very pretty, but it has a nice seating arrangement, a CVT (constant velocity transmission), and the reviews say it drives and rides very well.

It will be a couple of years, so we would be purchasing one slightly used.

Offline Mike Duluth

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 12:36:17 PM »
If your going to buy a used van, I would stick to something more main stream. It is easier to get someone to work on it, and it will be less money to keep, less money to buy and so on.
Push Harder

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 02:08:44 PM »
Had two transmission failures on our old caravan too.. Granted we drove that van with the pedal on or off. Idle or wide open.  Reverse doughnuts are pretty fun in vans though.

"you thought you had it bad, try staring at his butt crack the last 50 miles"

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 02:01:40 PM »
Happy days!

"Vander-boy" arrived on June 20th.  We are all very happy to have the new addition to our family.

My riding season is done, so I'll see you guys on the sales threads!   ;D

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 02:23:35 PM »
Congratulations!

I have personally never had any interest in buying a dream-crusher, but I readily acknowledge they are practical and a great choice for a family.

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 04:44:15 PM »
Congrats Ryan!
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 08:18:37 PM »
WHY IS GRANDPA ALWAYS THE LAST TO KNOW?? :o
john pierson

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 09:16:54 AM »
Thanks, folks!