Forum > Off Topic

It's time for a mini-van

<< < (2/5) > >>

Mike Duluth:
I don't have kids, but still use a Venture van for just about everything. I will tow two bikes, load it with gear and still get 18 to 20 mpg. Pull the seats and get 4x8 sheets of drywall in it, plus some 2x4s. Front wheel drive so you can put some snows on it and go just about anywhere in the snow too. I will always take a VM over other utility rigs.

RidinAgain:
My wife always had a lot of fun at Home Depot putting in 4X8 sheets of whatever flat in the back of our '98 Grand Voyager while the pickup truck guys were struggling to even get them in their micro box let alone lay flat. She even said to one macho guy that he should of gotten a mini van instead of the truck he had.... :o

Have had three of them in the past/present.  '89 Grand Caravan - sold it with 250K, one transmission and two head repairs for sliding valve guides (3.0 Mitsu) not to mention numerous sets of front rotors, '98 Grand Voyager - sold with 200K, one transmission, one AC compressor and one PS pump not to mention numerous sets for front rotors - 3.3L Chrysler.  Now I have a '09 Odyssey with 50K on it, only a set of front rotors, rear wheel bearing (warranty) and a SW update for the trans. - so far so good. 

I know it seems I am hard on front rotors but mini vans seem to eat them.... ???

All my kids are gone now but I still have the Ody for work.  Easy to get customers in and out and I am not a small man myself so the extra space is nice.

Practicality trumps the perception stigma in my opinion.....

Steve

Vander:

--- Quote from: RidinAgain on January 24, 2013, 09:41:43 AM ---Practicality trumps the perception stigma in my opinion.....

--- End quote ---

Agreed.

The 2013 Nissan Quest has my attention now.  It's not very pretty, but it has a nice seating arrangement, a CVT (constant velocity transmission), and the reviews say it drives and rides very well.

It will be a couple of years, so we would be purchasing one slightly used.

Mike Duluth:
If your going to buy a used van, I would stick to something more main stream. It is easier to get someone to work on it, and it will be less money to keep, less money to buy and so on.

Jvs:
Had two transmission failures on our old caravan too.. Granted we drove that van with the pedal on or off. Idle or wide open.  Reverse doughnuts are pretty fun in vans though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version