Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:49:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cold weather armored riding suit  (Read 2422 times)

Offline rddau

• View Profile
Cold weather armored riding suit
« on: March 03, 2013, 03:36:32 PM »
I currently have an Aerostich roadcrafter, but it is only good to about 60-65 degrees for me. Curious if anyone here has any thoughts on the Darien or any other cold weather (30 degrees) armored suits.

Offline DaleB

• View Profile
    • Motorcycle Touring for Beginners
Re: Cold weather armored riding suit
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 09:09:11 PM »
I've used my Roadcrafter down to the low 40's with an electric liner, electric gloves, long underwear, and chemical toe warmers. The main problem with the Roadcrafter is that if it fits properly for above 60 temperatures there isn't enough room for the additional layers when it gets cold unless you use electric clothing. If your electrics fail you're screwed.

Years ago I discovered quite by accident that my Darien jacket is much better in the cold. It's the best cold weather jacket I've ever had. It has a lot more room for additional layers and you can go quite cold (like into the low 30's) with no electric heat if you layer properly. The Darien pants have no insulation value but long underwear and fleece lined pants under the darien pants works well. The single most important thing is to seal the sleeve, waist, and neck openings as well as covering your neck all the way up to your chin. I used this setup when I drove a photographer shuttle motorcycle for the Twin Cities Marathon last fall. It was 28 Deg when I rode to the starting line. I rode back and forth on the freeway all morning between Minneapolis and St Paul and was toasty warm. The poor photographer who was my passenger froze his ass off though.

Dale B
DaleB

Offline Mike Duluth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 06:57:27 AM »
I use my snowmobile gear when it's that cold, seems to work ok for me.
Push Harder

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 02:25:28 PM »
I use an oversized joe rocket all leather jacket with a heated liner under neath and it doesn't let any air through.  Certainly comfortable into the 40s.  Mornings in the 30s are okay but eventually a chill will seep in. 
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride

Offline Cam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 05:01:32 PM »
'Lectrics

Trying to be a purist/tough-guy I tried for a long time to avoid getting electric gear, but no matter what I did my hands would get so cold it was not only uncomfortable to ride but at times bordered on unsafe.  I finally decided to try electric gloves and also splurged on a heated jacket liner (Gerbings).  Man, what a difference.  The jacket let me cut down on all the bulky layers I used to wear and use the same jacket I wear for fall/cool temps.  The gloves are more exposed to the wind so I wouldn't say they keep my hands "toasty" all the time, but they make a huge difference. 

So my coldest-weather gear for temps in the 30's (or even 10-20's for shorter trips) is:
Head: Balaclava under my helmet to cover my neck and face
Top:  Long-sleeve T-shirt, electric liner, 3/4 riding jacket on top, with electric gloves.
Bottom: Thermals, sweats, riding pants.  As a bonus, the ZZR kicks out a fair amount of engine heat onto my legs. 
Feet: Thick socks and waterproof riding boots.

Cam
'02 ZZR1200 || '07 KLR650 || '72 CL350
'98 XV1100S || '93 XJ600 || '82 XJ650

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 06:37:58 PM »
Electrics are essential in really cold weather. No insulation will withstand a constant 60 mph 32F wind for long so you need to pump heat in, otherwise the cold air is going to drain the heat out of your body.

The next thing to pay attention to is preventing air from getting in while allowing your perspiration to vent. Softshells and gortex are good. Both together are the best. Gortex riding gear with a softshell windproof electric layer on top of thermals is about as good as it gets.

My experience mirrors Dale's. The Darien is better than the Roadcrafter in cold. Its roomier cut better accommodates layers without compressing them or constricting movement.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 07:30:51 PM »
Riderwarehouse is pretty up-front about the fact that the Roadcrafter is NOT designed to be a pure cold riding suit.  It's a wear-over-your-work-clothes jumpsuit commuter for work (and it excels nicely at this.)  I wore the snot out of mine year round and bought an oversized one so I could layer up during the winter months.  RWH markets the Darian to be their cold weather suit.

There is no magic bullet for cold riding gear.  As Ray mentioned, the mistake most often made it when a rider tries to "seal" themself so well, they wind up soaking their first layer with sweat.  Nothing chills you to the bone more than having water against your skin while it's being cooled from the other side. 

All major vendors sell multiple-function suits that have zip out liners and goretex (or similar).  I have a First Gear TPG Rainer, which has a nice zip in liner that functions as an evening jacket.  It's the best coat I've ever owned for all seasons.

About electrics. I have yet to meet one "convert" to electrics who regretted it.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 08:01:55 PM by pkpk »

Offline T.W. Day

• View Profile
    • Geezer with a Grudge
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 09:32:37 AM »
 >:(It feels like I haven't ridden for so long that I have forgotten how. Damn this has been a long winter (yeah, I know "wimp"). I "converted" to Aerostich electrics about two years ago, after blowing off that stuff as "unnecessary" for decades. I can't go back now. I'm only using a vest/liner or the heated bib, but it makes a world of difference. I usually quit riding when the ice is staying on the road, just after Thanksgiving this year, ad go back to two-wheels when/if the ice leaves. I don't care much about the temperature, if I don't have to worry about black ice. I have a shiny new (2 years old) titanium hip and can't afford to bend it.

Since I'm mostly on the WR250 around town, I can't really think about full-body electrics. The torso stuff will have to do. I've put some long miles on at 20F in Alaska, though, and was pretty comfortable with the air bladder cranked and on full heat.

Thomas Day
Minnesota Motorcycle Monthly Magazine
http://geezerwithagrudge.blogspot.com/
thomas@motorbyte.com