Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:10:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RC 51  (Read 13952 times)

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
Re: RC 51
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2013, 12:34:22 PM »
My bike had none of those problems. Just the cams. And they were soft. The cam lobs wore out. I did all my own service work and I knew you had to use 2 feeler gauges. I even had that tool for adjusting the tappets. Still have it and it works good even on my 86 interceptor.
Very good read.

Offline RidinAgain

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2013, 03:29:07 PM »
That sounds like something Rob did too.  Did you get the procedure off the old SabMag list?  Rob also said something about having to properly align the rear final drive pumpkin to minimize the crank problem.

No - I was kind of a rebel at the time and my Dad being a machinist gave me some advice on how to do it after I kind of thought it up on my own.  I did it when the bike was still in warrenty in 1984 as Burnsville Sports Center weren't much help (see how old I am... ;-).  No problems with the rear pumpkin on mine.....

Offline RidinAgain

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2013, 03:35:33 PM »
It indeed was an interesting read....  I remember the cam puller tool being out but I never got one.  After tightening the cam bearing clearances and setting the valves with 2 feeler gauges the bike ran quiet and well.  I still have the Honda 10mm offset wrench in my toolbox - a favorite for weird fastener locations....

Never a carb problem on that bike.  I just removed the limiter caps and adjusted the idle mixture so it would actually idle without the stock lean stumble bumble.  Never even took the carbs out in the 22K miles I had the bike.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 03:39:53 PM by RidinAgain »

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2013, 09:13:27 PM »
I guess I should tell everyone, I picked up an 04 rc51 three weeks ago out of Louisville. Thanks for all the input. I would still like to hear any comments anyone has about the bike.
Thanks

Congrats on the new to you bike Mike. Looking forward to seeing you on it when the weather cooperates.

BTW, this thread is worthless without pics.

Offline VFJayR

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2013, 06:56:43 PM »
I owned an 03 for just about a year.  I was mostly stock*.

In my year of ownership I learned a couple of things:
- it has the single worst seat in the history of production motorcycles
- WIth the fairing stay and the wide tank, steering lock and bruised thumbs come with the territory. After market bar options are limited.
- Strong internet community around them
- Brakes are feel very weak, and in fact the rear brake is pretty worthless.  No feel.  They work pretty well, but no feel without an after market  radial master cylinder.
- Ride is firm
- a Lot of engine heat....  I highly recommend either a fan upgrade or installing fins inside the fairing or both.
- Tank range n the 110-135 Mile area.  Lest you be in the middle of nowhere and run out of gas and have to call someone to bring a gas can (...ahem...errr....)
-* They sound Awesome with a Leo Vinci exhaust.
-* Throttle response is very very good with a honda race throttle tube
- heaps of strong predictable power
- Great gearbox
- Under 20 mph and or 3500 rpm it is one of the worst street motorcycles I have ever been on.  It's hot, glitchy fuel, *snatchy throttle, limited maneuverability.  SUPER high pegs. I believe that motorcyclist measured the seat to peg distance at 16.5 inches. ...

Above 30mph I have no problem saying that its probably the best sportbike i have ever had.  Everything that's wrong with it under 20 mph is magic at speed.  Feels light, super responsive, very predictable, just amazing.  I kind of miss it actually.

In my case - I got a deal because some had raced it and then "*re-streeted" it (sans disclosure) as cheaply as possible and the little issues just kept adding up.  I sold it with full disclosure.

Good luck - If you got a good one I am sure you'll like it.
2003 VFR
2008 CBR1000RR

Offline Mike Duluth

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2013, 10:35:48 AM »
Picked up the bike in Nashville last week, had another bike along so didn't need to ride it. The little I did ride it I found out in a hurry it's a hand full. Got it home last night just in time to cover it in ice and snow.
  At this point I'm sure it won't be my favorite bike, but looking forward to doing something different for a bit. Like any used bike it has some issues that I will need to take care of before I ride it for real.
Push Harder

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2013, 02:02:22 PM »
This thread is worthless without pics!

Offline Joel S

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2013, 09:43:28 AM »
the bike sure looks nice, super clean and looks mean!!
16 FJR ES               More seat time, less feet time.

Offline VFJayR

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2013, 11:38:38 AM »
Mike:
So we have had at least 2 good riding days so far....  What do you think?
2003 VFR
2008 CBR1000RR

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2013, 08:25:10 PM »
Pics!  Pics!  Pics!

Congratulations!