Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:55:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Greetings from Esko  (Read 3621 times)

Offline kemptar

• 2000 BMW K1200RS
    • View Profile
Greetings from Esko
« on: March 09, 2013, 10:09:08 AM »
Hello!
I just upgraded my old Honda Sabre to a BMW K1200rs, and I'm really looking forward to doing some longer trips this summer in the Northern MN area and Wisconsin. Any advice on what to bring / how to prepare / riding gear / etc. is certainly welcome as I'm new to touring. Can't wait for some slightly warmer weather... snow today is not a welcome sight!

Offline Mike Duluth

• View Profile
Re: Greetings from Esko
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 04:09:50 PM »
Howdy and welcome. I'm just up the road from ya. I ride with these people all the time, so if you would like to get together, PM me.
Push Harder

Offline ARS

• memory's the second thing to go I forget the first
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 09:29:05 PM »
Welcome and nice ride.  I hope I'll be swinging through your area this summer to visit the hometown...Bayfield, might have to detour to see your local haunts.

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 05:30:32 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

Quality riding gear makes a huge difference. A complete breathable waterproof outer layer with an electric mid layer works really well to allow you to ride in a tremendous range of weather while minimizing the amount of other stuff you need to bring. Working out the minimum amount of stuff you can take when traveling pays big dividends in simplifying packing and unpacking and keeping your bike as light as possible.

Take a look at what Aerostich http://www.aerostich.com/ offers. 10% for what you buy in the store. Well worth a trip to Duluth.

Offline kemptar

• 2000 BMW K1200RS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 11:24:26 AM »
Thanks for the warm-wishes.
Its funny, I just went past Aerostitch yesterday (Saturday) and they weren't open, but I'm planning on going back. Not quite ready to dump $1k into a suit, but thanks for the tips!
I recently bought a new pair of pants which are waterproof, padded, etc. So now I'm up to a leather jacket, pants, boots, helmet and gloves. Planning on upgrading when money and wife allows.  :)
Ready to get out and ride, this constant snow is killing me!

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 06:06:55 PM »
Welcome! Don't rule out textile jackets. Some are more waterproof than leather and they have pockets. I get up north about once a season on my bike. Maybe I'll see you sometime.

Offline RCKT GRL

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 09:19:30 AM »
Welcome!  Definately look into some electric gear as that will lengthen your riding season on both ends significantly.  I currently have a jacket liner and that keeps me toasty even on days that dip into the 30's and without the added bulk of layers, I don't look or feel like the Michelin man.  ;) 
Those who have actually NEVER tried riding the track could learn a thing or 10 about being a better streetrider; because let's be honest; none of us (Greg) are as great as we think we are. LMAO!

Offline Hope2Ride

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 06:32:30 PM »
Hello!
I just upgraded my old Honda Sabre to a BMW K1200rs, and I'm really looking forward to doing some longer trips this summer in the Northern MN area and Wisconsin. Any advice on what to bring / how to prepare / riding gear / etc. is certainly welcome as I'm new to touring. Can't wait for some slightly warmer weather... snow today is not a welcome sight!

Welcome! There are a few riders here that go out of state for longer trips and lead some long rides every year so plenty of advice to be had. You can search for old threads or even start a new one with that specific question and I'm sure you'll get some good answers and tips. Good luck and happy riding!

2011 Honda CBR 250R

Offline kkralickus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 10:21:07 PM »
http://marketplace.ibmwr.org    (Not affiliated)

Used gear - lower right corner.  They always have leathers, textiles, bags, gadgets, etc. for sale.   I've bought & sold a fair amount of stuff on that site.