Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:54:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dealers/Vendors  (Read 6373 times)

Offline ARS

• memory's the second thing to go I forget the first
    • View Profile
Dealers/Vendors
« on: March 23, 2013, 12:53:01 PM »
Where do you guys and gals spend your hard earned cash?  What dealers in the Metro and surrounding areas do you prefer?

In your opinions who has the best. . .

Customer Service
Selection
Price
Mechanics
Other

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
Re: Dealers/Vendors
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 05:30:38 PM »
The bike- Larson's Cycle
Service- Larson's Cycle or Lloyd's Performance
Tires- online because I do them myself
Parts- Larson's Cycle or Bob's Cycle Supply
Putting miles on the bike- Well that would be me

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 06:56:42 PM »
Llyod's Motorcycle Performance Center for all the above.

http://riverszzr.webs.com/
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline Plus_P

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 01:20:15 PM »
It doesn't directly answer your question about local dealers, but my hunch is that as a group, motorcyclists are more DIYers than the general population, which may explain why there seems to be such difficulty for MC dealers to stay in business, even more challenging now with the interwebs thingy.
Here's where my hard earned cash goes-
Bike: Used/Private party via Craigslist
Parts: Ebay, Ebay UK, Aprilia Forum, Leo's South
Gear: Sportbiketrackgear.com, Motorcyclesuperstore.com, Ironpony.com. Gotten good service from them all, mostly price based shopping between them.
+Wade
Wade T. (Plus_P)
Crew Chief
www.cqcmotorsports.com

2011 GSXR750 (Wrench it II)
2008 CBR1000RR (Wrench it)
2006 GSX-R 600 (Track only)
2004 KLX110 (Ride it, winter)
2003 Aprilia Falco (Ride it)
1987 Yamaha FZ600 (Revived it, Sold it)
1982 Honda XL250R (Seized it, gave it away)

Offline slh7d

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 10:21:46 AM »
What about for "big" Ducati maintenance things (valves, timing belts, etc)? Who/Where do you guys recommend these days?
2010 Ducati Streetfighter S

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 05:30:10 PM »
What about for "big" Ducati maintenance things (valves, timing belts, etc)? Who/Where do you guys recommend these days?

My tuneup last year was at Ducati Mpls. I have no issue with their work but their price is slightly higher than Motoprimo.  I'm in need of another one already. I'll probably go back to Ducati Mpls.

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 07:11:13 PM »

Unclear who to go to these days.

Every tech with an established reputation for Ducati service work (Fred, Doug, Anthony and Pete) is no longer at Ducati Minneapolis. Eric Von Holt is the Ducati tech at MP and has a solid reputation. Todd Fisher who used to work at MP has left the industry but may still be doing side work. Anthony is working for Starr Cycle in Mankato, which is not a Ducati dealer, although he may be will to take on side work. Doug will only do maintenance work as part of tuning work at this time. Fred has disappeared. Tom Manley is purportedly working somewhere in Wisconsin. Some people like Delano Motorsports, but even though they are the closest dealer to me, I've never used them. I can provide Anthony's email address to anyone interested in contacting him.

Offline Jam-Bro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 08:04:03 PM »
If you need maintenance call Midnight Motorcycle in Hastings. Adam(owner) and Glen(suspension guru) are both real nice, knowledgable and will take care of you.

http://midnightmotorcycle.com/
'13 Triumph Street Triple R

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 04:39:16 PM »
DIY is one thing......just don't be this guy. You need to know your limits.

He tried to do "it" himself... What "it" is varies, but someone trying to save $400 on a tune up last year spent $2500 to replace the cylinders, pistons and head on his inline 4 when they installed the cams incorrectly. This bike likely would have been $300 or so for a carb clean and valve adjustment and now is $1500+ to get a used engine in or repair this one...Only 600 miles on the bike

I see several bikes every year where someone tried to do "it" themself and ended up costing themselves hundreds or even thousands more than had they simply brought it in to start with.

What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 06:51:57 PM »
I wonder if he was even able to hit the kill button before all that happen. Or if it just stop before he even knew what he did.

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 09:19:19 AM »
Fred has disappeared.
According to his wife (whom I see very occasionally), he is taking some time off and enjoying being out of the industry.   
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 09:25:24 AM »
DIY is one thing......just don't be this guy. You need to know your limits.

I see several bikes every year where someone tried to do "it" themself and ended up costing themselves hundreds or even thousands more than had they simply brought it in to start with.
Ah but then I couldn't buy a Sprint ST 955 with Ohlins, Russell, service manual, brembo upgrade, etc for $1,250!   The guy had adjusted his own valves and all intakes were too tight.  The thing became hard for him to start and eventually quit running.   My son pulled the head, replaced the intakes, lapped the seats and reassembled it.  I was in Chicago 2 weeks ago and the thing absolutely leaped to life with one short press of the starter.
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 02:22:02 PM »
  For anyone interested in a small shop try Tommy at the CYCLESHOP in Anoka. He's an old(not as old as me!) CRA buddy who's been in the business for many years.  He does everything from tire & service to rebuilds.  He's especially good w carbs and stocks a large amount of bits for Jap stuff back to the 70s.  There's no Latte served and he'll tell it like it is. GJ ;)
john pierson

Offline Jam-Bro

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 04:44:40 PM »
Choosing the wrong mechanic can end up costing a lot of money too.

Look at this pic. It is supposed to be a pre load spacer for a front fork. It was "fabricated" by a local mechanic. Notice that instead of welding, he used epoxy to glue two pieces of metal together. Pretty shoddy work. The spacer ended up being to big. Still, the mechanic used the spacer in the forks, along with other parts that he put in backwards. It caused the springs to rub against the fork tubes, made noise and performed horribly. The bike owner had to seek a second mechanic to fix the mess. It ended costing him twice as much money, had he gone to the second mechanic first.

DIY projects can end up costing you a lot of money, but choosing the wrong wrench for the job can cost u a lot of money as well.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 05:34:19 PM by Jam-Bro »
'13 Triumph Street Triple R

Offline KGB

• run of the mill forum whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 04:44:35 AM »
Anthony has been doing work out of our shop for Ducati guys/gals in the twin cities. He is busy with his first child currently. He's an awesome tech if anyone needs the hookup with him send me a pm.
Advocate for gasoline and rubber consumption