Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:02:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A friendly motorist gets you a ticket.  (Read 4147 times)

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
A friendly motorist gets you a ticket.
« on: April 09, 2013, 07:06:49 PM »
Or; A tale of two intersections.

Think about the intersection of Hwys 35 & 63 in Hager City, Wi. Or the intersection of Hwys 93 & 95 in Arcadia. Think about being in a large group of motorcyclists that are approaching the stop sign at either intersection.
    On more than one occasion a motorist will think they are being friendly and signal for all of the group to just go ahead and pass through, eliminating the back & forth stopping that usually takes place.
     Keep in mind that every single one of the group that just rolls through is not stopping for the stop sign. I've heard of cyclists being ticked for this escapade.
      Please be forewarned that yours truly will from now on stop at the sign. If any one rear-ends me, you will receive a stern glance and be required to buy me 2 jalapeno cheesy hotdogs at the Kwik Trip.  ;)
     We subject ourselves to multiple instances where we could get a ticket while carving the twisties and it doesn't make sense to me to put ourselves at risk for a ticket when more "eyes" are around and the "fun-factor" is quite a bit lower.

My .02,
Greg

These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
Re: A friendly motorist gets you a ticket.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 09:03:06 PM »
Coming from the southwest side of McGregor, Iowa on X56 a few years ago, I was waved through a stop sign by a motorist sitting across the intersection.  I thought it was odd that he had the right of way, no stop sign.  I then noticed people on a nearby sidewalk shaking their head (NO!).  The combination confused me enough where I was forced to stop at the sign because I was almost falling over from looking at them.   X56 turns right and heads downtown McGregor and as I turned the corner, there was a squad with a cop standing in the street who waved me through while another cop was writing tickets to other riders.   This ticked me off where I wanted to pull over and start taking pictures of the trap but decided to let locals deal with it. 

So Greg is correct, you never know when it's a trap when you roll a stop sign.

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 11:25:40 PM »
So Greg is correct, you never know when it's a trap when you roll a stop sign.

Just pin it...

ooops wrong forum...lol
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 05:36:21 AM »
This is the first I have ever heard of a cop ticketing a group of bikes for "running" a stop sign after the fist two bikes have come to a complete stop, but I guess it depends if the cop was anti biker or not. I would be super surprised if a cop would stop a group of 5 or more bikes for slow rolling through a stop sign in Wisconsin given the very large Harley groups that ride here, I have seen cops stop traffic and let the large group go though.

Paul your story is different less then 4 bikes should always stop. But what was going on there was called entrapment, a cop can not encourage you to break the law so another cop can give you a ticket, But then its Iowa so.....

As for me I riding in a group I slow down enough to stop safely if needed but will not put my feet down, unless I am one of the two lead bikes then I do put my feet down and come to a stop, make sure its clear both ways for the following bikes to be able to slow roll through, but it is everybody's reasonably to make sure its safe for them to go.

my .02
Chris
----------

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 05:54:59 AM »
For the record. My scenario is not a LEO trap as happened to Paul, but one where a cop happens to see the group rolling the sign just by chance.
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 06:04:05 AM »
For the record. My scenario is not a LEO trap as happened to Paul, but one where a cop happens to see the group rolling the sign just by chance.
I got that Greg. :-)
Chris
----------

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 07:50:23 AM »
Chris,  for all I know, that other dude in the vehicle may not have been part of the trap but maybe thought it would be funny to instigate something.  They may well have been simply ticketing riders for rolling that sign without anyone promoting the violation.  I will admit to doing it myself since it seems like it should be a no stop on right turn anyway.  BTW, I've witnessed this same sort of trap in Watertown too. 

Offline Joel S

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 10:00:18 AM »
on a tri state a few years ago, we all got pulled over for running the stop, this very way in wabasha in town. the gropup got on 10 i think it is, and they took off up the hill, squads came flying from behind, quite a few. Could have been the people i was with, not sure., i was ran and let go with nothing.

(same diesel day, one guy was nuts to butts for a few miles, not sure what anyone else got for tickets)
16 FJR ES               More seat time, less feet time.