Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:08:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Close call of the day - Friday  (Read 1339 times)

Offline kkralickus

• View Profile
Close call of the day - Friday
« on: May 27, 2013, 10:42:13 PM »
Thought I would share this one -

A friend is breaking in a new Triumph Tiger 800 so we decided to play hookie on Friday and run to Duluth the long way (up WI 35, down MN 23 & 61).

Around 5:30pm we are heading southbound on 61, halfway between Stacy & Wyoming, MN.  Cars are stacked up from the stop sign in Stacy as far as the eye can see.  The freeway looked about the same.

I'm in the lead, running center of the lane at 60 indicated (not flying) -- Staring at oncoming cars, scanning for blinkers and the like.  Realize this is 3-4 miles of stopped cars.

All the sudden one of them turns out in front of me to make a U-turn out of the jam.   Sees me, changes his tune and dives for the grass ditch across the lane.

I grabbed hold of all the ABS I could find.  If you've never torn into the ABS on a BMW with the telelever front end - I tell you what.  It's a thing of beauty.

It's the closest call I've had in a long time.  So much so that we stopped for dinner in Wyoming.  Took a while to shake off the adrenalin...

Offline gdawgs

• View Profile
Re: Close call of the day - Friday
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 07:58:55 AM »
congrats on paying attention and also using your senses w/o panic.  glad you are ok. 

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 03:13:26 PM »
Yeah, kudos but 60 mph next to a line of cars not moving is too brave for me.  I get the willies doing 50 next to jammed traffic while in the car pool lane. 

Offline kkralickus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 03:23:25 PM »
Totally agree - that's why I said 60 indicated.  On my Beemer, that is about 53 on GPS.  Probably could have said that in the first place...