Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:22:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What is Late Apexing and Why It Makes Sense on the Street  (Read 6286 times)

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
What is Late Apexing and Why It Makes Sense on the Street
« on: June 01, 2013, 11:02:35 PM »
Late apexing is staying on the outside of a turn longer and turning in later than you would if you were taking the racing line (racing line minimizes the sharpness of a turn).

Late apexing makes sense on the street because:

• it gives you a fuller view around a corner before you commit to a line, which gives more opportunity to select a line to avoid things that may be hidden around a corner
  • it provides a larger margin of safety if you go into a turn too fast and end up going wider at the turn exit than you planned
  • in a series of switchback turns, a really late apex (outside inside) correctly positions you to take the next turn in series
  • with a fuller view around a corner, it makes it easier to be on the gas while turning which provides more steering stability and cornering clearance

If you always try to late apex turns on the street, the signs are everywhere when you begin to run out of cornering reserve. If your plan is to late apex, you're running out of cornering reserve if
  • you can't avoid exiting near the center line as shown in the diagram or shoulder on left turns
  • you can't apply the gas while turning
  • you have to use the brakes or let off the gas to maintain your lane past the turn apex
  • you find it difficult to maintain or increase your pace going through a series of consistent switchbacks
  • you fail to exit a turn on the inside (away from the center line on right turns or the shoulder on left turns) with positive or at least neutral throttle

Ignore the signs at your own peril.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 06:19:43 AM by Ray916MN »

Offline dl

• View Profile
Re: What is Late Apexing and Why It Makes Sense on the Street
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 06:23:32 AM »
I almost always late apex, car/ truck included.

I think a lot of people use the "racing line" because they are use to it. Watch left turning traffic at multi lane intersections.
Most drivers will start the turn at the white stop bar, accelerating and angling straight through the intersection to the inside lane ( no arc), now, once at that lane they have to cut the wheel hard to stay in that lane, but are going too fast to cut the wheel that much tighter. So they run out of their lane, possibly pushing the 2nd turning lane traffic wide too, or they flat just over shoot their inner lane and go directly into the outer lane.

Some people will realize, that if you pull a couple of feet into the intersection, turn with an arc and accelerate, you can take the turn faster, while staying in your lane. These would be your late apexers.

I think in general, alot of people start a turn too soon, and see the apex as the finnish point, and then have to make a speed, or steering change to properly position in their lane.
'99 Sprint ST

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 10:43:56 PM »
Good post Ray.
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride

Offline VFJayR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 11:42:33 AM »
Great Post.

I try to late apex in car and on motorcycle to address your last point:
"with a fuller view around a corner, it makes it easier to be on the gas while turning which provides more steering stability and cornering clearance"

There is a stop light left turn near my house across a 2 lane and I consistently turn in 10 or more feet later than vehicles in front of me.   
2003 VFR
2008 CBR1000RR

Offline Tim...

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 11:48:44 PM »
Nonsense, hit the damn apex.

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 06:19:45 PM »
  When I started racing in '76 a co-worker at the U named Dick Geise who raced sports cars lent me a great book-The Technique of Motor Racing. It was written many years ago by Italian racing great Piero Taruffi who raced on 2 and 4 wheels including the Gilera 500cc 4 in the mid 50s. All the vehicle positioning and cornering lines are applicable and advantageous to everyday travel at normal speeds. I too late apex-even on foot. ???
john pierson