Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:57:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Aerostich gear-  (Read 2294 times)

Offline JoeRau

• View Profile
Aerostich gear-
« on: August 05, 2013, 04:05:36 PM »
I find myself wanting better riding gear.  My cheap Yamaha coat is coming to the end of it's time with me.  Mostly because it is too big now.  I liked the versatility of the mesh outer with both a water/windproof layer and an insulated layer could be changed out in just a few minutes. 
I'm looking hard at Aerostich.  The Darien jacket and the AD1 pants.  I know they are on the expensive side, but from what I know, the quality is there.  Also I like supporting local business where I can. 
Anyone have other suggestions? 
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
Re: Aerostich gear-
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 08:35:51 PM »
Tonight I'm throwing my Vanson perf'd leather gear up on ebay and the Roadcrafter jacket and AD1 pants may go this fall.

Why?

Motoport kevlar air mesh - bought used.   Tons of armor, tons of airflow and rain/cold liners.   It is expensive new, but the stuff really seems to have versatility.   Sunday I stopped to put my fleece back on during the afternoon since it was flowing so much air I was chilled.
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline slh7d

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 02:35:37 PM »
I have motoport kevlar pants, was thinking about getting a jacket also eventually....
2010 Ducati Streetfighter S

Offline JoeRau

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 04:09:45 PM »
Motoport looks like nice stuff.  Not too much more than Aerostich.  I still think I am going to ride up there and see how it fits.  That is biggest advantage I see right now.  The ability to go try it on, and have custom fitted if need be. 

I like the idea of not having to carry extra liners to put in if the weather changes.  Just zip open/closed the vents.  My dad rides in the Darien (both pieces) and does some ultra long touring.  He is on his way back to WI from Alaska now.  I don't do that long of trips, but I think the Motoport may be suited more for the day ride where the 'stich gear for longer trips. 

We will see what tomorrow brings.
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline slh7d

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 09:00:42 AM »
Motoport stuff is custom sized also and they will alter it if needed if you change "sizes"

Aerostich makes great stuff though. 
2010 Ducati Streetfighter S

Offline Aprilian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 01:35:54 PM »
Joe, I agree with your comment about being able to get some airflow through the Stitch jacket.   If you are riding/commuting in hot weather, it will always be less comfortable than something where the fabric flows air.  When it comes to the pants, Dariens are not  equiped with vents.  I know they say you can unzip the zippers over the hips, but then the hip pads flop out. The gore tex in the stich will only move inside moisture to the outside when the outside humidity is lower than the humidity inside the jacket.  In hot humid weather there is not way for the crotch area to get any air movement  :'(  Stitch needs to upgrade their design to incorporate air movement below the waist.

I sometimes carry the Motoport liner and sometimes a thin rainsuit, which packs much smaller.  Once the liner is in, the motoport falls down in that it will flow zero air - another reason I use a rain jacket over the top.   as SLH said, they will make to your custom measurements and do an adjustment for no charge after buying.  They just reworked my pants off ebay and it was reasonable cost.

Check over on ADV Rider, I think you will find people who us Motoport for long trips, I would if it was going to have any hot weather.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 01:38:40 PM by Aprilian »
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline Aprilian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 08:38:19 PM »
I forgot to mention the Motoport has thigh and chest protectors standard where the aerostich does not.  You can have coccyx and hip sewn in with the motoport.   I much prefer the size and coverage of the motoport protectors.

You are welcome to take a look at both side to side.
Ian