Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:23:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: V-Max  (Read 7924 times)

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
Re: V-Max
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 11:27:17 AM »
"you thought you had it bad, try staring at his butt crack the last 50 miles"

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 11:36:37 AM »
R U NUTS!!?? Get practical-there are nice thongs to be found. Do more research-Bandit 1200-1250 maybe. We need to talk maybe.GJ ::)
john pierson

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 01:53:14 PM »
I've ridden Warriors quite often.  They're okay; pretty heavy, though.
And I've never consider a Bandit before; old tech.

Not sure.... I've got a couple years to figure it out, though.  The kids need to be older before I start taking passengers and taking weekend rides again.

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2013, 04:26:41 PM »
V-Max = New Tech?????????
john pierson

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2013, 05:26:01 PM »
I'm trying not to go full cruiser, but it seems that my wife is not interested in 2up on ANY sportbike (even an FJR).

Could you elaborate?  It can't strictly be to avoid a fetal position because the rear passenger on FJR or ST is no where near a fetal position.  Plus the seats are wider than a sportbike and there is plenty of space for her hairdryer, etc in the sidebags. 

It it something to do with the style?  Is she afraid of being on anything but a cruiser (with those narrow seats and not all that great of a suspension)?

FYI, my wife actually prefers riding on the back of my VStrom because she is elevated higher than the ST and the seat is a bit narrower.  She also gets some leg cramping on the ST but none whatsoever on the Vstrom.  Now if i could get her to stop overpacking and screwing up the handling.

Offline LeeMAX

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2013, 05:58:28 PM »
Lee here... yeah, I loved my VMAX... I had both the 1st Gen and 2nd Gen.  The 2nd Gen is awesome, but its not a good bike for two-up riding even with the small backrest you can get.  Just as Matt said, the small gas tank and the fuel economy was lousy.  It was truly just a houligan/in-town bike.  I could never take it on a sporty ride because riding agressively, I was desperately searching for a gas station at about 90 miles.  A stock one gets a little better mileage, but not much better.  I had it piped with K&N intake, PCV and dyno-tuned.  Its an amazing thrill to ride, but you better plan out your gas stops! ---- for the record... it handles a hell of a lot better than people will say.  Get the suspension right, lose the catalytic converter and try not to lay down the throttle too hard mid-corner and she handles quite well. 

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2013, 08:25:01 AM »
Could you elaborate?  It can't strictly be to avoid a fetal position because the rear passenger on FJR or ST is no where near a fetal position.  Plus the seats are wider than a sportbike and there is plenty of space for her hairdryer, etc in the sidebags. 

It it something to do with the style?  Is she afraid of being on anything but a cruiser (with those narrow seats and not all that great of a suspension)?

Hairdryer... LOL

She rode on the back of a motorcycle before she met me, and she really enjoyed it.  Of course she can't tell me what it was, but she always points to HDs and the like and claims "it looked like that".

I took her for a ride on a 650 Burgman recently, and she loved it.  But I'm not so ready to give up shifting at this time.

So I believe she likes wider seats and backrests.  She did say she liked the platforms rather than the foot-pegs too.  I think it's gotta be a VTX or a Vulcan.

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2013, 08:27:50 AM »
Lee here... yeah, I loved my VMAX... I had both the 1st Gen and 2nd Gen.  The 2nd Gen is awesome, but its not a good bike for two-up riding even with the small backrest you can get.  Just as Matt said, the small gas tank and the fuel economy was lousy.  It was truly just a houligan/in-town bike.  I could never take it on a sporty ride because riding agressively, I was desperately searching for a gas station at about 90 miles.  A stock one gets a little better mileage, but not much better.  I had it piped with K&N intake, PCV and dyno-tuned.  Its an amazing thrill to ride, but you better plan out your gas stops! ---- for the record... it handles a hell of a lot better than people will say.  Get the suspension right, lose the catalytic converter and try not to lay down the throttle too hard mid-corner and she handles quite well.

Good synopsis, sir.  Thank you for contributing.  :)
The limited range is a big deal to me.  That's definitely a deal breaker.  It is otherwise a cool bike.

Offline CheesyRider

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2013, 09:23:17 PM »
I've seen around the interwebs that some folks have fitted passenger floorboards to their sport-touring bikes.  Combined with a backrest and an ugly Russell seat, it should be pretty comfy.

If you decide to go the VTX route, my sister's boyfriend has a 2005 Honda VTX 1800F in mint condition for sale if you're interested.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 09:27:38 PM by CheesyRider »

Offline v2Neal

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2013, 02:53:03 PM »
A VTX 1800 doesn't exactly get amazing fuel range.  ::)

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2013, 08:24:02 AM »
A VTX 1800 doesn't exactly get amazing fuel range.  ::)

I see one a few times a year that has over 80k on it now and he says he gets between 38-42 when riding "normal" but it drops to low/mid 30's when he is being more of a hooligan. He left for Sturgis today and I did a quick mapping change taking away about 12-20% fuel throughout the cruising range and around town stuff (I didn't originally do the jetting) and showed him how to use his adjustable mapping function on the PCIII on the fly. I bet he returns with in the mid 40's

A VTX1300 gets damn good mileage right from the box, and a very competent bike
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline v2Neal

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2013, 08:48:04 AM »
... and depending on what year the 1800 is the low fuel light will come on between 90 and 100 miles on the odometer. The early ones had the fuel pump in the tank, where as the later models mounted it outside the tank. The externally mounted models get about 1/2 gallon more fuel in the tank and get a little better fuel range.
Anywhere from 38-45 is normal depending on riding style. I have no idea what mine gets. Don't care.

I'd hope a 1300 gets better MPG, it's a smaller engine.

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2013, 09:20:56 AM »
Good inputs, gents.  Thank you.   :)

I did come to a compromise with my wife.
I like dirtbikes, supermotos and sportbikes.  She likes cruisers and touring bikes.

So we're getting a boat.   ;D

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2013, 09:14:03 AM »
 :D

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2013, 11:44:03 AM »
I might sell you my sailboat or canoe.GJ
john pierson