Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:38:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Where is everyone?  (Read 5668 times)

Offline tk

• View Profile
Where is everyone?
« on: July 27, 2013, 11:42:52 AM »
There were only two of us on the Hooky Tuesday ride this week. We only had two on my Summer Solstice ride. I don't see that many participated in the Rockton BBQ ride. So are rides too long? Too short? Go in the wrong direction for people?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm not seeing many rides posted this season. I know Jon and Mark seem to be missing in action and they organized rides often (Frontier ride, Ely run etc.).  Still there are a lot of seasoned riders capable of organizing and posting a ride now and then. If you have been on this forum awhile you might remember a time when we had rides posted for five days in a row.
Any suggestions for getting more rides posted would be appreciated.

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
Re: Where is everyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 07:10:41 PM »
 I lead a ride every Sunday--no point posting it up though, far too many underskilled and unsafe riders on this forum I don't want along..

It is about time they are forced to do more than play follow the leader and let someone else do all the work.

Lets see some of those people take on the burden of organizing rides for awhile.

If good riders want to join me they can PM me, email me or text me.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 02:21:43 PM by MISTER »
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline Plus_P

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 07:19:24 PM »
IMO the biggest contributor to ride/rider counts being down this season is the weather. Seems to me wx was the biggest single factor that had me say "nah" when it came time to commit (throw a leg over and head down the street) to either the Solstice or BBQ rides. The weather hasn't been very cooperative at all this riding season, late start, crummy weekends seem to have been the rule, rather than the exception this season, including a couple just too damn hot. Fortunately, the weather, similar to group dynamics, is cyclical, and I'd imagine both will swing back towards "normal" without outside intervention.
The couple of rides I have posted up were very short notice (breaks in the weather), so it is understandable that no one could make the under-3-hours to KSU from the time they were posted.
Other than weather, I don't think the forum/group is doing anything wrong, speaking for myself. Workload has any thoughts of playing hooky right out the window, so no weekday rides work for me, at least this season.
Well OK, there is one thing that would make rides a bit more appealing for me...later starts. I know the "typical" start time of between 8-9AM has evolved for many reasons, but again, just for me, Nelson is 2+ hours away, which means leave home at 6AM. For the record, I get up at about 7AM on weekdays  ??? so 0530 on a weekend isn't ideal, but I'm setting an alarm for tomorrow morning's Tri-State. Hope it isn't snowing in the AM :o, I've been hoping all day today to get that new rear tire scuffed in, but geez, the wx just aint cooperating!
Regards,
+Wade
Wade T. (Plus_P)
Crew Chief
www.cqcmotorsports.com

2011 GSXR750 (Wrench it II)
2008 CBR1000RR (Wrench it)
2006 GSX-R 600 (Track only)
2004 KLX110 (Ride it, winter)
2003 Aprilia Falco (Ride it)
1987 Yamaha FZ600 (Revived it, Sold it)
1982 Honda XL250R (Seized it, gave it away)

Offline JoeRau

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 06:44:00 AM »
Mister
I think I am one of the underskilled riders you speak of, but I do try to ride safe and within my comfort zone.  The ride I went to was a great route, and the guys there where all really nice.  I enjoyed watching how they rode.  Very inspiring to watch a line of bikes in the curves from the back.  I felt like I held the group back some, although they all said no.  They waited for me at the corners, made sure I knew where we where going, and the guy ahead of me always kept in sight- Thanks Joel. 

While I appreciate the opportunity to join the group, my preference is for a much more relaxed pace.  I guess I am more on the touring side of sport touring.  Explains why I like my C14 so much.   

I will continue to ride at my own comfort level.  If the opportunity comes that a more relaxed pace ride matches up with my schedule, I'll be there.  I may even try to put something together to invite the group to at some point.  For now I think it is best that I stick to learning-  After al,l I have only been back on a bike for just over a year, since I was a teenager... a long time ago. 
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 09:02:49 PM »
 It's been sparse on my weekday rides too-just 2 of us on 7/11. I'll probably post the August ride next week and maybe you can make that one TK. ::)
john pierson

Offline Jam-Bro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 10:09:36 PM »
Waiting for my PM! My whole riding season is in the pits. Where is my PM??
'13 Triumph Street Triple R

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 10:36:36 PM »
Group ride leaders are just hard to find, I'd say.
It takes a lot of work, and it is very often thankless (even open to criticizing).

That's my experience, at least.  Except for leading my DS rides... those are always fun and very much appreciated.  But dirt bike people are always happier than sport bike people.  LOL

Offline Hope2Ride

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 08:59:50 PM »
Mister
I think I am one of the underskilled riders you speak of, but I do try to ride safe and within my comfort zone. 

I would fit this category as well and don't go very fast. If you'd like to ride together sometime I'm great for slower paced rides and I know lots of good roads. Just pm me if you're interested.

TK the group rides seem to be down this season even on the other forums. It was a late start season due to weather but seems like lately things are picking up a bit. More ride leaders would certainly help but so many are afraid to do it. I lead a couple rides last season and personally I don't mind leading rides but don't anymore simply because others bitch I go too slow. And when I've offered newbie/slow paced rides I just don't get any interest.

Leading rides isn't hard but takes some planning and commitment. So maybe trying to get some others to step out of their comfort zone and do it would help get more rides going. Perhaps get some of the current leaders to take another rider under their wing and help them lead their first ride? That's how I got comfortable being up front was riding alongside Vince like we were both leading. Additionally, the same person doesn't have to lead the entire ride. We went on that group ride Sat. and 4 of the 5 bikes took turns being the leader so no one person had the burden on them the entire time and that seemed to work very well. Just a couple thoughts.

2011 Honda CBR 250R

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 09:05:56 PM »
I think we need more cave rides.  ;)

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 10:26:03 PM »
Lloyd showed me some roads on Sunday we could steal them from him for a new way there.

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 12:54:49 PM »
" We went on that group ride Sat. and 4 of the 5 bikes took turns being the leader so no one person had the burden on them the entire time and that seemed to work very well."

I agree. Greg and I have been encouraging this for a long time.

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 01:05:40 PM »
Lloyd showed me some roads on Sunday we could steal them from him for a new way there.

What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline SilkMoneyLove

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 05:07:17 PM »
In my opinion and situation, it is weather and work related. Squeezing in a "fun" ride for me around Overtime and Family Stuff means no time for pre rides, printed route sheets or waiting for late people who show up with a tank on fumes. I suspect many of us are working hard to keep ourselves employed.

That said, the regular ride leaders deserve a break. If you are on a ride and know a section of the roads, let the leader know ahead of time that you can lead that section. It gives them a break from being on point.

I often switch leading and following on my rides with friends. It helps to keep the pace and it fights off boredom.

A benefit of leading is that you don't get shelled with rocks from the tire of the guy in front of you :-)
Newbie since 2011 😄

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 07:08:20 PM »

A benefit of leading is that you don't get shelled with rocks from the tire of the guy in front of you :-)
Looks like someone is following a little to close.

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 09:29:09 PM »
  Had 2 along last Thursday but 3 weeks earlier was a solo. Went on several CDRs but tired of their craziness. Missed Blind Lizard,only made 2 1st Thursdays. May do a leaf color ride in the hills but am not sure due to 3 "BAMBI CLOSE ENCOUNTERS" this year. I know work and general economics impact a lot of folks riding schedules. 1stThursday looks wet and days are getting shorter so the long rides may be over.
john pierson