Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:53:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My fall in late fall...  (Read 2349 times)

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
My fall in late fall...
« on: December 31, 2013, 10:19:53 AM »
I wish more people would share their fall stories and lessons learned, so I'll share mine :)

Each year, the very last ride has this feeling of "don't screw up a good season" and I had it that night (Nov. 19th) when I was taking the long way round to top off my gas tank before winter.  I was taking it super-easy just enjoying being out on the next-to-last warm night (40+ degrees).  I had been cruising at or below the speed limit and not pushing it at all throughout the ride.   About 5 miles from home, accelerating out of a slow corner, I hit dark grey sand in a nearly-done construction zone (no street lights in the area), along with some gritty stuff from when they painted the lines I think.  It wasn't quite a standard right turn, slow since it was more then 90deg and recently reconfigured during construction, from southbound CR-19 / Keats Ave onto westbound Military Rd, both 55mph roads.

As I was speeding up after the turn, going maybe 20 or 30mph, I got into the sand and the back spun out to the left (the outside of the turn of course).  I distinctly recall starting to fall down to the right with my right foot dragging out behind me, but then the bike hooked up and flipped over onto its left side... I think I pretty much slid off the back.  I didn't have time to react in any particular way, and as I lost my balance early in the slide I unintentionally pinned the throttle so I have that zinging up to WOT sound etched into my brain.  I don't remember flying at all, which is great luck.  I had enough time to realize I was sliding down the road in my lane, mostly upright, probably 30 feet or more -- almost as far as the bike slid.  There weren't any cars around right when it happened but some passed by shortly afterwards, one slowed down but none stopped.

My Joe Rocket Ballistic pants took the brunt of it, my main coat has a little hole in it.  That coat also rode up and my windbreaker got melted.  Additionally, my backpack was torn open.  My boots and gloves didn't incur any damage, which surprises me a little, and my head never hit the ground.

I did call the cops to file a report, filed the longer form for a > $1,000 accident with the state, and I attempted to work with County about the construction debris which I spun out on but haven't made much progress.  Basically I plan to file a claim on my insurance.  I did end up riding it home in first gear, wow that was loud and slow...

My hip was sore after a few minutes, a few hours later I started feeling it more generally.  My left-hand pinky had a little burning/tingling, I think from the bars getting ripped out of my hands.  ZERO road-rash, a tiny bruise on the hip/cheek I landed on...

The Lesson Learned part is pretty simple -- wear your gear!  There is always the chance that something you can't even see could bring you down.

http://aschendel.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/2013-11-19-My-Wipeout/2013-11-19-Crash-Aftermath

Should be basically cosmetic, decent luck for a highside :P

Andy

Offline Stinger

• Yea Hey Der
    • View Profile
Re: My fall in late fall...
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 10:22:49 AM »
Yikes, glad you're OK.

With that ding in the frame the bike will be totaled. Hope the shopping for a another one works in your favor.

Mmmm, so many bikes to choose from
Roger
I still dislike forums.
Red PC800, White DRZ400S, Black FTR1200S, Red Multistrada 1200S

Offline Tumbler

• View Profile
    • Better Livivng Thru Mondern Chemistry
Re: My fall in late fall...
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 11:45:07 PM »
Thanks for sharing & absolutely on the gear!!

I wouldn't have had a fractured collar bone from a crash if I had the armor in the shoulders/elbow areas.

Glad you're ok...the bike is always replaceable!!
Mark Cell  612-910-3339    Business website: http://www.amway.com/justlivin
Check it out...great deals for riding season snacks & such!!