Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:24:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Maybe There Is Hope For AMA and US Road Racing  (Read 3738 times)

Offline RidinAgain

• View Profile
Re: Maybe There Is Hope For AMA and US Road Racing
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 10:28:20 AM »
I agree Ray it will be a long tough row to hoe, but at least there is what I hope a positive change moving away from DMG.  It has to start somewhere and I think this has as good a shot of being successful as we have seen in the AMA roadracing scene in quite a while.

Manufacturers are key as you state.  I hope this management gives them the push to re-install themselves in the US RR scene.

We'll have to wait and see.  Daytona next year will really be something to keep our eyes on to see if they are starting to turn things around.

Steve

BTW - glad to see Rainey was confused with the previous class names - I thought I was the only one....  ;D

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
Re: Maybe There Is Hope For AMA and US Road Racing
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 08:38:13 PM »
.... the toughest thing in my mind is going to be bringing back the funding necessary to run full fields and competitive races.

The 1000 Stock class holds allot of promise in this area for rebuilding fields and funding. Maybe the makers will step up with enough contingency money for these classes to make it possible for an unknown privateer to emerge the way Doug Polen emerged in the GSXR Cup in 1986.

If you recall, Polen made $90,000 (in 1986 dollars) strictly from contingency.  You make a very good point that it's hard to imagine that kind of money being advanced for privateers today.  It was compelling for Suzuki to spend serious money while marketing their early GSXR's and probably no where as compelling today.