Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:03:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: They will find you eventually.  (Read 5630 times)

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
They will find you eventually.
« on: October 01, 2014, 09:55:53 PM »
http://www.republican-eagle.com/content/red-wing-police-nab-cyclist-who-allegedly-eluded-trooper

I'll admit a period in my life where there would be a fleeting thought of applying a bit more throttle if the lights came on at a sufficient distance.  I think this story effectively demonstrates how a combination of technology and social media can be used to ruin your day.

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
Re: They will find you eventually.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 09:06:30 AM »
In that situation, I hope I  remember what we told our son, "Right now you have a problem and it is your choice how big you make it!"
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline Mike Duluth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 12:42:18 PM »
I give the cops credit for not chasing the guy to his death. If you're going to run from the cops because you were speeding this seems like a good way to nail them. Don't kill the person for speeding.
Push Harder

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 12:53:42 PM »
I dunno. I was thinking this was more an example of what happens when you defecate where you eat. 

Had he not been relatively local, do you think he would have been caught?

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 05:26:48 PM »
Destroying his jacket and helmets would have been way cheaper.  I don't know why people think they can wear the same gear later just because "people might have forgoten the combo of bike, jacket and helmet"!

Hey, perhaps that is why I get new gear every couple years!
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline ROCKSTAR

• Go ahead, I'll catch up. ;-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 09:27:21 AM »
Destroying his jacket and helmets would have been way cheaper.  I don't know why people think they can wear the same gear later just because "people might have forgoten the combo of bike, jacket and helmet"!

Hey, perhaps that is why I get new gear every couple years!

That's one way to do it! 

Otherwise, which one of these guys was the one in black helmet and jacket on a black bike?  :-X

Matthew Bursch | Parts-Sales-Service | Sette Sports Center | 507-451-6922

2012 Suzuki GSX-R1000

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 09:59:47 PM »
The last one.

No question.

Offline ROCKSTAR

• Go ahead, I'll catch up. ;-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 09:24:08 AM »
The last one.

No question.

My thoughts exactly.  ( I threw that in because I pulled up to a small pizza place in a small town and the guy behind the counter looked at me wide-eyed and asked, "Are you Robocop?"  I laughed.)
Matthew Bursch | Parts-Sales-Service | Sette Sports Center | 507-451-6922

2012 Suzuki GSX-R1000

Offline 2FAST4U

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 10:31:56 PM »
I dunno. I was thinking this was more an example of what happens when you defecate where you eat. 

Had he not been relatively local, do you think he would have been caught?

Doesn't matter. I've been saying this for years: DON'T RUN FROM COPS. Do you have any idea how serious that is?? It's a FELONY.

If you're haulin' ass (something I've been guilty of) and you see lights flashing in a rear view mirror, PULL OVER IMMEDIATELY.  You're gonna piss the cop off if you don't. Act like a man, admit your mistake, pay the ticket, and move on.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 10:36:19 PM by 2FAST4U »

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 08:00:06 AM »
I believe Ray is raising this as a hypothetical question (local v. not local) for discussion, and is not advocating running from an officer.

Offline 2FAST4U

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 08:53:42 AM »
I believe Ray is raising this as a hypothetical question (local v. not local) for discussion, and is not advocating running from an officer.

I realize that. I was trying to make a general point as well. Some people don't realize the consequences of doing something so foolish. If you get busted for evading police, your insurance premiums are gonna double (for your car, too.) And good luck trying to find a job. Many companies won't hire someone with a felony of any kind on their record.

I can think of three instances where I got lit up on my bike and got away with a warning all three times. Each cop told me the same thing: I'm gonna let you off with a warning because you pulled over immediately, your license plate is clearly visible, and you didn't give me attitude.

Edit: Oh, and your bike's gonna get impounded ($$$), you'll have to hire a lawyer ($$$$), and you're still gonna have to pay the fine ($$$$). And from that point on, you better be careful every time you're on your bike because the cops got your number and they're gonna be watching you like a hawk.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 09:04:41 AM by 2FAST4U »

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 12:16:31 AM »
Taunting the police into a pursuit is currently on my bucket list.
I've just never had the courage to do it.  Too much to lose at this point of my life.

But I definitely see the appeal of doing so.  Seems like fun!

Offline 2FAST4U

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 04:56:27 PM »
Oh, and one more thing: It's highly likely the judge is gonna suspend your license. How are you gonna get anywhere??

Taunting the police into a pursuit is currently on my bucket list.
I've just never had the courage to do it.  Too much to lose at this point of my life.

But I definitely see the appeal of doing so.  Seems like fun!

Then do it. Maybe you'll get a cop that wants to settle things differently: :lfmao:

NSFW: End of Watch fight scene (The video's owner prevents external embedding)

Before you roll your eyes, I'd bet everything I own that in major cities, incidents like that happen more often than some people realize. When I lived in Philadelphia me and two friends were leaving this club in Old City (which isn't a bad area) and on our way to my Jeep, there was an expletive-filled shouting match between this Irish cop and an Italian guy. Just as we passed them, they started shoving each other. A couple of nearby cops (also in uniform) quickly separated them. Had they not done that there's no doubt in my mind fists would have started flying. True story.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 05:11:06 PM by 2FAST4U »

Offline Tumbler

• View Profile
    • Better Livivng Thru Mondern Chemistry
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 11:03:16 PM »
Just remember you can't outrun Motorola!!
I agree with Ray though....don't shit where you eat.

I know for me I tone it down around my town since it's a small one & I'm sure I'm noticed.
In my early days of driving I didn't always do that & on several occasions it came back to bite me.
Mark Cell  612-910-3339    Business website: http://www.amway.com/justlivin
Check it out...great deals for riding season snacks & such!!

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2015, 03:30:19 PM »

Then do it. Maybe you'll get a cop that wants to settle things differently: :lfmao:

As I stated, I have far to much to lose at this time.  It would be a more of a sporting thing to do post-retirement or so.

That video you posted is absolute fantasy.  And I imagine whatever you saw yourself was simply an officer losing his cool, and his fellow officers not allowing him to make a serious mistake.  Actions like those in your video would be seen as extremely unprofessional and may even land the participanting officers in jail themselves.

How do I know? I was trained as an MP by police officers from MANY different major cities throughout the US.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 03:33:40 PM by Vander »