Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:33:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Winter Projects - Whatcha workin' on?  (Read 2233 times)

Offline SilkMoneyLove

• View Profile
Winter Projects - Whatcha workin' on?
« on: January 06, 2015, 03:18:43 PM »
Winter is a great time for moto projects.  Currently I am working on a Suzuki GS850 sidecar project.  The Zuki isn't really a good match to the car, so I'm going to clean the 850 up and move it down the road in the spring.  I am thinking I want to find a Bonneville or Guzzi for the sidecar.

I am also playing with a beat up old chonda mini chopper.  My neighbors and I ride around our 'hood and basically just have a blast, until something breaks, then we fix it and repeat.

So, how are you passing the winter time?  Whatcha wrenching on?

Newbie since 2011 😄

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Projects - Whatcha workin' on?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 06:37:38 PM »
I did chain and sprocket on the Triumph and I'm procrastinating opening up the Xmoto to find out what I broke.   In the mean time, I've fallen in love with my next bike.   Xmoto will be up for sale when it is back to full strength.
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 01:22:07 PM »
During the last warm spell a couple days before Christmas I bought a battery at NAPA for my Ducati and took the bike for a short spin around the neighborhood.

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 05:08:52 PM »
I'm procrastinating opening up the Xmoto to find out what I broke.   
Now that was strange!!!  Bike wouldn't turn over on starter and wouldn't turn via allen in crank.    Opened it up and nothing was wrong!?  Once open, it turned by hand fine and no broken timing chain or valve stem.    I bolted it back together and it ran on the starter but wouldn't spin very fast unless the throttle was wide open.  No start (gas is now old) so I charged the battery and tried it with ether.

It starts - but only when the throttle is wide open, because it spins faster then.   Runs strong on the stand and has good exhaust pressure pulses.

I can only assume the cam I am running creates too much cylinder pressure for the starter.  I would have thought that  longer overlap create less pressure.           
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline SilkMoneyLove

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 09:18:15 AM »
Sounds like it seized and then cooled of and is free now, but still tight.

Does it spin easy with the plug out? Did this only recently happen after you changed something?
Newbie since 2011 😄

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 05:05:37 PM »
Z1000 is at Lloyds.

Been doing a lot of work on the pit bike. New LED wiring kit and tail light and a bunch of other little things in the garage.
"you thought you had it bad, try staring at his butt crack the last 50 miles"

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 07:06:30 PM »
  Finished cafe'd VN750(well more like standard even tho' pegs moved a foot to the rear)financed by selling GS1100. Sold Cafe'd 650 Silverwing-too many bikes! Putting electric fuel pump on cafe'd XV500-had weird carb issue last summer. Futura serviced and ready for the "Hill Country Ride" season.
john pierson