Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:32:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Light the brake light  (Read 1709 times)

Offline aangen

• View Profile
Light the brake light
« on: May 25, 2015, 04:18:55 PM »
I have been reading here about riding the pace and I read a comment that brakes may be less used when using this method. (without hard acceleration out of a corner, there is less requirement for hard braking going into the next corner).  I read an article last year which described the changes the tires and the suspension of a bike make when you activate the brakes. Long story short, they were instructing riders to pull on the front brake on entering each and every corner, "just enough to turn on the brake light". The thought being if you have the brake on just a little and then find you need to brake harder due to some unforeseen issue the transition from light braking to more active braking is easier and more controllable than suddenly activating the brakes. I started doing this whenever I am on two lane or riding with a bit of pace. I am thinking I like the practice.

So the issue isn't squeeze the brakes hard enough to start slowing you down. Just a enough that the pads are on the discs and should you need to slow down you won't need a lot of additional squeeze to get the job done.

Thoughts?
2014 Ducati Multistrada Grantourismo

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
Re: Light the brake light
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 05:37:13 PM »
The thing is not to apply the brakes to turn on your brake lights. or bring the pads to the disk. They are already there. It is about having your foot or fingers on the levers and ready to apply. Any time you see any hazard you should do this. In heavy traffic my foot is on the brake all the time. I may have two fingers on the levers as well.