Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:16:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thoughts on Lane Splitting?  (Read 11453 times)

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
Thoughts on Lane Splitting?
« on: July 13, 2015, 01:57:21 PM »
Any opinions on the practice of lane-splitting?

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Lane Splitting?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 09:33:30 PM »
Practice makes perfect.  I prefer the British term "filtering".
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 11:14:28 PM »

In theory it should work, but in practicality too many selfish idiots around

If it were to be voted on, I would definitely vote no.
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 08:00:43 AM »
What would be your specific concerns?

Offline allonm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 09:35:30 AM »
The reason I started riding motorcycling in the first place. Not to  get stuck in traffic . It’s only afterwards, I discovered it was fun.
When done properly, it’s safer than riding in traffic without filtering. It’s practiced all over the world including California where motorcycling is first and foremost a form of transportation.
If it is made legal, and the general public is aware of it, that’s the way to  go. 

Allon

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 12:51:26 PM »
Agreed.

I rode in Japan for a season and really discovered how well it works.  To me, it is how motorcycles were intended to be ridden.

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 09:01:26 PM »
Having not done it, it sounds terrifying moving from one blind-spot to the next.  But I understand it works well in areas where the practice is well-established.

Making it legal - and safe - as a new practice in an area totally unaccustomed to it would be a challenge.  I'll let others break-in drivers to the concept.

Offline mudduc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 02:50:16 PM »
I'd love to have it legal here in MN.  It was a nice option to use in CA.  I can't understand why anyone in CA would take a car anywhere.
Another option that would be nice is filtering at stop lights.  I was doing that all winter for a few years but it really seems to upset the few police officers who stopped me to talk about it.

During warm weather, most drivers seem mad if you filter at the lights despite the fact that you going first doesn't slow anyone else one iota.  But when the temp is below freezing, most drivers (not police) seemed just fine letting the poor cold bike rider use the lights to skip past the pack and get home sooner.

It can't be made "safe" since riding in general is not safe but that's my job as the rider not the law's job or the other driver's job.  If I'm taken out, it was my fault for not being ready regardless of how stupid a move was made by some another driver.

Make splitting and filtering the law in MN!  It will be extra incentive to commuting by motorcycle and make bikes a higher percentage of the traffic.  Increasing the motorcycle use will make traffic better and parking easier for everyone.

Later,
Kent

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 06:00:33 PM »
Having not done it, it sounds terrifying moving from one blind-spot to the next.  But I understand it works well in areas where the practice is well-established.

Making it legal - and safe - as a new practice in an area totally unaccustomed to it would be a challenge.  I'll let others break-in drivers to the concept.

It's not even remotely terrifying.  It may seem uncomfortable at first, but not terrifying.
There is even a study out of UC Berkley that reveals it is actually SAFER to lane split.

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 06:01:45 PM »
I'd love to have it legal here in MN.  It was a nice option to use in CA.  I can't understand why anyone in CA would take a car anywhere.
Another option that would be nice is filtering at stop lights.  I was doing that all winter for a few years but it really seems to upset the few police officers who stopped me to talk about it.

During warm weather, most drivers seem mad if you filter at the lights despite the fact that you going first doesn't slow anyone else one iota.  But when the temp is below freezing, most drivers (not police) seemed just fine letting the poor cold bike rider use the lights to skip past the pack and get home sooner.

It can't be made "safe" since riding in general is not safe but that's my job as the rider not the law's job or the other driver's job.  If I'm taken out, it was my fault for not being ready regardless of how stupid a move was made by some another driver.

Make splitting and filtering the law in MN!  It will be extra incentive to commuting by motorcycle and make bikes a higher percentage of the traffic.  Increasing the motorcycle use will make traffic better and parking easier for everyone.

Later,
Kent

Totally agree.

Offline Mike Duluth

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 08:46:38 AM »
My thought is, we already piss people off and the whole lane splitting thing just makes it worse. This bypassing of general automotive rules on public streets would only make the haters hate more.
Push Harder

Offline mudduc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 06:43:26 PM »
My thought is, we already piss people off and the whole lane splitting thing just makes it worse. This bypassing of general automotive rules on public streets would only make the haters hate more.
Completely agree.  My wish is to have lane splitting and filtering legal _AND_ have car drivers be cool with it instead of being pissed.  I do understand that is a fantasy dream world not reality.  Even in CA, people were pissed.  Doesn't make sense to me.  If it pisses you off, get a bike and enjoy the privilege yourself.

Letting bikers keep going while traffic is at a stand-still doesn't make any of the trapped vehicles take longer to get through the blockage while quickly removing the bike riding minority.  So, if anything, allowing lane splitting will only help to reduce backups.  But the privilege will be abused by few (splitting doing limit+10 or 20 or more while traffic is moving at posted) and make it be hated by many.  It's never going to happen here anyway...but...I'll always wish it would be enacted.

Later,
Kent

Offline Mike Duluth

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 07:30:21 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I would love to move through traffic at will. That would take a perfect world and we ain't in one.
Push Harder

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 11:15:09 AM »
It's not even remotely terrifying.  It may seem uncomfortable at first, but not terrifying.
There is even a study out of UC Berkley that reveals it is actually SAFER to lane split.

Terrifying is a bit of hyperbole on my part.

It may indeed be safer.  I learned from a CHiPs patrolman that they purposefully travel a bit faster than surrounding traffic, regardless of the speed of traffic, as moving through blindspots and continuously passing is safer.  I can see this transferring to lane-splitting.

OTOH, there are many videos on YouTube with drivers deliberately blocking bikes and opening doors on bikes, road rage at bikes for splitting, bikers engaging in stupid human tricks while splitting, etc.

I like the concept.  But in a more bike friendly world.

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2015, 01:34:09 PM »
Sounds like you guys are making a pitch to not ride a motorcycle at all.

If there are so many drivers out there that get pissed off at motorcycles, why even risk riding at all?

And I don't think Minnesotans would rage if they knew it was legal now.  If it was communicated that every lane-splitting motorcycle represented one less car clogging up the road, they think differently.  Never saw anyone internationally block the buses in the shoulders...?

And I never saw a vid where someone intentionally opened a door on a lane-splitting motorcycle. That seems ridiculous.  Wouldn't they get hurt too?  Flying debris and such?  Plus they'd be prosecuted for reckless endangerment, no?

Even now I would choose to lane split to lose a road rager... even if the practice remained illegal.  How are they going to follow you?