Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:50:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MC vs. deer  (Read 1522 times)

Offline JoeRau

• View Profile
MC vs. deer
« on: September 01, 2015, 11:34:33 AM »
I saw the pictures of the deer that was hit the other day.  That one turned out very well.  Most do not.

Some of you know already, but I work in a 911 center in SE MN.  I take all kinds of emergency and non emergency calls- then dispatch law enforcement, fire & ambulance.  I commute through rural farm country almost exclusively on my motorcycle (Kawi C14) April - October.  Working 6AM to 5:30PM puts me riding in low light.  I see a lot of animals out there- both wild & loose domestic.  I installed Denali DM1 auxiliary driving lights to help with both night time lighting and daytime visibility.  I know not everyone will find them appealing, but I love them.

Today on my way to work it was quite foggy.  I chose to take the US Hwy (4 lane for 2/3 of the trip) rather than the county roads I normally take.  I don't know why. 

First call I take today was a motorcycle vs deer on the same road I chose not to ride in on.  The report I got is the rider was injured, but sounds like he should be ok.  Bike (wing) slid quite a ways down the road.  The deer (dead on impact) was claimed by a nearby landowner. 

I saw this guy nearly every day on my way home from work.  We usually met going opposite directions right near the scene of the crash.  I don't know the guy or his riding abilities.  I can't say if he where going too fast or other rider errors.  Maybe this was just a plain old "accident". 

I don't intend this to come across as judgmental, lecturing, or persuasive in any way.  Only to share a story.  This just sits in the back of my head maybe that could have been me had I chose to take my normal route to work.  I'm not going to change what I do.  I'll still ride, tour, and commute.  I'll continue to use that route most of the time both on the bike and in my truck.  I will be a bit more cautious in the low light, and rural areas.  I've hit plenty of deer before, but all with 4 (or more) wheels.  I hope to keep it that way.
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
Re: MC vs. deer
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 12:11:33 PM »
 You cannot predict what the deer will do in reaction to seeing/hearing you... That is the big variable if you are going to try and "outmaneuver" a deer

I think the biggest factor in if you ride through the deer impact or crash has more to do with the riders ability under panic braking/maneuvering or perhaps lack of reaction at all and some dumb luck on how it is hit etc....

I know several people on this forum who have ridden through deer hits with only damaged bikes, myself included.... 4 times.

The deer is a problem but the riders reaction/skill may be more of one. Of course one wants to avoid hitting them- that will always be bad, but avoid at all costs is obviously worse. Obviously also; in peak times and areas slowing will always increase your chances and time needed for avoidance.
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 01:16:03 PM »
Also worth keeping in mind.  I lost an acquaintance when a rider in front of him braked hard for a deer and he hit the rider.  I have also heard of accidents by riders who were going around a rider slowing for a deer on the road and wound up riding right into the deer. 

These incidents are highlighting following distance and full visibility.  It's an obvious point that is often lost when riders are grouped too closely at elevated speeds.  It's one reason why I like to ride a bit separate from the pack and in split up groups.

People ask me if texters are leading me to reconsider riding at some point and I correct them by admitting it's deer.  Texters tend to be easy to spot and they are still more predictable in their movements than deer.

Offline Mike Duluth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 01:36:23 PM »
For some reason these creatures seem determaned to cross in front of you. Even on snowmobiles I've found this to be true.
Push Harder

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 05:03:41 PM »
Many seemed determined to commit suicide by vehicle. 

I have hit one, another jumped over me.  Both happened incredibly fast.

I am glad Sunday's incident was not too bad.  I will never question anyone who hits a deer or has an accident because of deer; they are quick and entirely unpredictable.