Forum > Bike Help

Getting a tough fork Seal out

(1/3) > >>

Matt Behning:
Anyone got a tip on getting a tough fork seal out?... (yes the clip is removed and yes the damper bolt is out)

Broke the 2 inch PVC pipe hammering on the thing.  The forks are off my stock CBR f3 showa forks.

Thanks!
-Matt Behning

beedawg:
Looks like you're trying to pound it into the slider. Try going the other way.

I used to a big screwdriver and pry the seal out until I bought one of those fancy seal remover tools, which make it just a little easier.

Clarification: I think you should try pulling the slider away from the fork tube with a slide-hammer technique.

Aprilian:
On some Right Side Up forks you just put the lower in a vice and use the upper leg like a slide hammer and pull the seal out by "pulling out" the narrow stanchion tube.

Manual?

Ray916MN:
The only way the picture makes any sense to me is if you have not removed the allen bolt in the bottom of the fork leg that holds the damping rod. Once the bolt is remove the fork tube should slide easily out of the lower fork leg. The fork tubes can not be disassembled without removing this bolt. If this bolt didn't exist the forks would have no damping and come apart whenever the front wheel was lifted off the ground. To remove the seals, the fork tubes need to be removed from the lower fork legs. A screwdriver is all that is necessary to remove the seals. The PVC pipe as shown could be used to drive the fork seals into the lower legs, but not to remove the seals.

Mike Duluth:
Yikes :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version