Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:54:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Getting a tough fork Seal out  (Read 5016 times)

Offline Matt Behning

• View Profile
    • 929and954
Getting a tough fork Seal out
« on: December 17, 2015, 12:05:01 PM »
Anyone got a tip on getting a tough fork seal out?... (yes the clip is removed and yes the damper bolt is out)

Broke the 2 inch PVC pipe hammering on the thing.  The forks are off my stock CBR f3 showa forks.

Thanks!
-Matt Behning

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
Re: Getting a tough fork Seal out
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 12:28:30 PM »
Looks like you're trying to pound it into the slider. Try going the other way.

I used to a big screwdriver and pry the seal out until I bought one of those fancy seal remover tools, which make it just a little easier.

Clarification: I think you should try pulling the slider away from the fork tube with a slide-hammer technique.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 05:46:39 AM by beedawg »

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 09:01:54 PM »
On some Right Side Up forks you just put the lower in a vice and use the upper leg like a slide hammer and pull the seal out by "pulling out" the narrow stanchion tube.

Manual?
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 02:17:23 PM »
The only way the picture makes any sense to me is if you have not removed the allen bolt in the bottom of the fork leg that holds the damping rod. Once the bolt is remove the fork tube should slide easily out of the lower fork leg. The fork tubes can not be disassembled without removing this bolt. If this bolt didn't exist the forks would have no damping and come apart whenever the front wheel was lifted off the ground. To remove the seals, the fork tubes need to be removed from the lower fork legs. A screwdriver is all that is necessary to remove the seals. The PVC pipe as shown could be used to drive the fork seals into the lower legs, but not to remove the seals.

Offline Mike Duluth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 09:20:43 PM »
Yikes :o
Push Harder

Offline Matt Behning

• View Profile
    • 929and954
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 12:23:21 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

Yep I know that you can use a smaller PVC tube (same diameter as fork seal) to drive the new fork seal in... but to get this one out I'm using a larger PVC tube the width of the lower fork to drive it off the fork tube (held in vice)... covered the fork tube with duct tape so I don't scratch it and use the PVC pipe to hammer on rather than the metal that could crack or dent.

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 09:15:46 PM »
Tip.............

When you have zero clue what you are doing, have someone who knows what they are doing, do it!

You clearly have no clue, and all I can see here is you wrecking things to a degree far more than a leaking fork seal!

I guess if you have all the time in the world and all the money in the world, you can do it however you want------but you are doing it all wrong!
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline Jam-Bro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 07:25:13 PM »
Tip.............

When you have zero clue what you are doing, have someone who knows what they are doing, do it!

You clearly have no clue, and all I can see here is you wrecking things to a degree far more than a leaking fork seal!

I guess if you have all the time in the world and all the money in the world, you can do it however you want------but you are doing it all wrong!

Buwow Lloyd

What a nice way to help another forum member. Not sure if you have a history with this guy, but in his intro you called him a douche and now cluless. Yikes!!! I'm 100% certain that this is not the spirit of this forum. I learned at a young age that if you don't have anything nice to say, it's best to say nothing at all...

Matt, sorry I can't help you out or provide you with meaningful guidance. I've never done fork seals. There's one thing I'm certain of and that is that this forum is 99.9% filled with stellar folks that love to ride. Don't feel discouraged to post here in the future or show up on one of their awesome group rides.
'13 Triumph Street Triple R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 07:50:02 PM »
 This is the same brainiac that broke a clutch basket trying to remove it.

Also the same braniac that broke a set of cases trying to pound them apart with a hammer while a bolt still held them together, then once shown the bolt was there and removed, still wanted to wail on the cases with a hammer to separate the halves.

and that is just a sampling of the awesomeness of stupidity and no common sense that I know of from Mr genius of breaking shit.........

And it was this genius of not knowing what they are doing that has repeatedly ruined more shit than he has ever successfully repaired.

I sure the fuck wouldn't want him riding anywhere within 100 miles of me on anything he touched, and god forbid when it is others property and they have to pay for all the shit he breaks then ride on unsafe machinery or take it to someone who actually knows something.

It is one thing to be stupid, it is a whole different story to be stupid, careless and have zero common sense and take no responsibility for how stupid, reckless and careless one is!

What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2015, 10:45:15 AM »
Yes there are some things left for the pros to do. But if you haven't damaged it yet here is how to do it on the forks you said you are working on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIgvyQybWyw
Good luck.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 10:49:30 AM by vince »

Offline Mike Duluth

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 03:10:01 PM »
gzus Lloyd, don't hold anything back. lol ::)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 04:34:40 PM by Mike Duluth »
Push Harder

Offline Matt Behning

• View Profile
    • 929and954
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 01:43:15 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome Derision. The cases and bolt thing must be about someone else on some other project. As for the clutch basket that needed to be replaced anyway, on Steve's 954 transmission I rebuilt 3 years ago and is still running, you look at the wear and tell me you're surprised they broke:

I post what I do so others can learn... you can learn from what doesn't go as planned, but in the end you get a result that is great. If you don't like it at least say the truth and put your real name on it.

I stand behind my free work so it's not like I'm advertising a repair service so there's no harm done with your rant.

Offline Matt Behning

• View Profile
    • 929and954
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 02:17:04 AM »
Here's the update on what was wrong with the forks and getting them apart.... on the youtube videos guys are breaking down their good condition forks forks and pulling the two halves apart with ease.

So after 20 years of wear the fork bushings had wore into the form you see below with a heavy ridge. Apparently it was nearly impossible for the lower fork tube's bushing (blue) (that's seated below the fork seal) to slide over the bushing's ridge on fork tube (red).

To the nay-sayers there's no way in hell the two halves would have not come apart without the vice, pry bar, heat, and my PVC (and later wood, to use a buffer between the hammer). I'm glad I did it myself because the shop would have called and either gave up or told me they had to ruin the $100 a piece lower fork cases (that's used price). I saved $300 in the quote on labor I received from Century Motor Sports in Stillwater for the job and I learned how to do my own fork seals on a bad pair of forks.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 08:16:56 PM »
 You are completely delusional!

Just because the bosses have some slight rub marks from the springs does not mean they should have or would have needed to be replaced or broken without ignorance and stupidity involved!!!!!!!

As far as your fork tube issues,,,,, more delusional stupidity. You are so Deluded you don't even realize; The bearing is not supposed to slide over each other to separate the fork, nobody with experience and knowledge that works at any shop or dealership or even private individual anywhere would have had any problems getting the fork apart without a vice, some wood and your pvc. So not only did you not know shit, now you try to claim your fixed something that wasn't even a problem to begin with! Well only to the unskilled, unknowing, unknowledgeables like yourself!

You are so delusional even your delusions are deluded

and nope, it was you with the hammer on the case halves!!!