Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:52:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sport touring tire suggestions?  (Read 6264 times)

Offline jleosnow

• View Profile
Sport touring tire suggestions?
« on: May 23, 2016, 09:30:42 PM »
Hey all,
It's almost time to replace the tires on my VFR. Not being accustomed to this class of bike, what would you suggest as replacements?

Thank you!
-John

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
Re: Sport touring tire suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 12:29:13 AM »
Michelin Pilot Road 4. The best there is. Bridgestone S23 are really good as well. And Avon Strom 3D-XM.
All 3 of these are top of the line. I have used them all. Absolutely the best in the rain and long life. And a good twisty tire as well. 5,000+ miles. 

Offline jleosnow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 05:14:32 AM »
Michelin Pilot Road 4. The best there is. Bridgestone S23 are really good as well. And Avon Strom 3D-XM.
All 3 of these are top of the line. I have used them all. Absolutely the best in the rain and long life. And a good twisty tire as well. 5,000+ miles. 

Thanks for the info Vince, I appreciate it!

-John

Offline jleosnow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 05:31:23 AM »
Meant to ask Vince, GT version or standard Pilot Road 4's?

Thanks!
-John

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 11:46:04 PM »
For your R1 the standard. Your interceptor because of more weight the GT. I think that tire has another ply in it.

Offline jleosnow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 05:05:28 AM »
For your R1 the standard. Your interceptor because of more weight the GT. I think that tire has another ply in it.

Got it Vince.  Thanks!
-John

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 12:56:18 PM »
 I would go more along the lines of....

Bridgestone T30 and if you wanted the GT version, so be it......... I have not seen anyone get more mileage or better feel going back and forth between them
Dunlop Roadsmart II

Metzeler Roadtec 01  (everybit as good slightly better than either of the above, but at $100 more cost per set....- I believe they still have their $50 rebate going on these though)

Pirelli Angel

and finally if I were to do a Michelin;
I would do the Road II long before I would spend another $80 a set on a Road IV...........Do you plan to ride in monsoon season?- if not then why waste the money
                    and if so..........buy the Metzeler, it is way better than the PR3/4
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 05:22:47 PM »
I like the Pirelli Angel GT a lot. 

But I have seen many recommendations for the Michelin Pilot Road 4 among BMW riders.

Offline jleosnow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 09:02:50 PM »

Bridgestone T30 and if you wanted the GT version, so be it......... I have not seen anyone get more mileage or better feel going back and forth between them
Dunlop Roadsmart II

Metzeler Roadtec 01  (everybit as good slightly better than either of the above, but at $100 more cost per set....- I believe they still have their $50 rebate going on these though)

Pirelli Angel

I would do the Road II long before I would spend another $80 a set on a Road IV...........Do you plan to ride in monsoon season?- if not then why waste the money
I like the Pirelli Angel GT a lot. 

But I have seen many recommendations for the Michelin Pilot Road 4 among BMW riders.

Thank you very much for the recommendations/info Derison!

Thanks Elk for your input as well!

-John

Offline Joel S

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 05:52:41 AM »
i have ran the 023, t30, angel gt, pr2, pr3, pr4. some in gt and some not.
they all felt good, my milage is usually very bad, but the way i ride, i expect that.

my last set of pr4, rear went 8 days, front went 10 days. mileage was 2500 on the rear and  3k on the front. (trip to nc/tn)
i don't run my tires till the stuffing comes out and add that to the milage count, i go to the bars, and sometimes past. going past the bars makes them more susceptible to punctures and cuts, dangerous if unexpected rain, and difficult to judge if you can get another fun msta ride on it. lol

i have run several sets of pr4 on both bikes, because i know the life i can expect on trips with them. local i can experiment with different tires easier. my little 650 still has a pr4 on it from a arkansas trip last fall.
i have not tried the Metzeler Roadtec 01 but probably will this season, if LLoyd says its good, i would trust that for sure. 

yesterday i just purchased 4 tires, basically from bike bandit, (JW price match)  stone 023, got 2 fronts, one little bike rear, one c14 rear, after rebate all 4 tires will be like $280 , ( c14 rear is a 50, not 55 like i usually run)  for the price they should work very well.

my little 650 with pr4 was a blast in arkansas and missouri they stuck great, wore very well, was pleased with them. on the other hand, any good tire probably would have felt good.

hope this helps,
Joel
16 FJR ES               More seat time, less feet time.

Offline jleosnow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 09:29:58 PM »
i have ran the 023, t30, angel gt, pr2, pr3, pr4. some in gt and some not.
they all felt good, my milage is usually very bad, but the way i ride, i expect that.

my last set of pr4, rear went 8 days, front went 10 days. mileage was 2500 on the rear and  3k on the front. (trip to nc/tn)
i don't run my tires till the stuffing comes out and add that to the milage count, i go to the bars, and sometimes past. going past the bars makes them more susceptible to punctures and cuts, dangerous if unexpected rain, and difficult to judge if you can get another fun msta ride on it. lol

i have run several sets of pr4 on both bikes, because i know the life i can expect on trips with them. local i can experiment with different tires easier. my little 650 still has a pr4 on it from a arkansas trip last fall.
i have not tried the Metzeler Roadtec 01 but probably will this season, if LLoyd says its good, i would trust that for sure. 

yesterday i just purchased 4 tires, basically from bike bandit, (JW price match)  stone 023, got 2 fronts, one little bike rear, one c14 rear, after rebate all 4 tires will be like $280 , ( c14 rear is a 50, not 55 like i usually run)  for the price they should work very well.

my little 650 with pr4 was a blast in arkansas and missouri they stuck great, wore very well, was pleased with them. on the other hand, any good tire probably would have felt good.

hope this helps,
Joel

Thanks Joel!

Looks to me like it is either the Michelin Road 2's or the Bridgestone T30....

-John

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2016, 10:30:49 PM »

Offline jleosnow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2016, 07:42:45 AM »

Dunlop Roadsmart II

Pirelli Angel

Derision,
If I went the T30 route, would you sugest the EVO's or the standard/original T30's?

Thank you!
-John

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2016, 08:28:39 AM »
I have not seen any difference between the two. Mileage, feel, traction etc.... but supposedly the evo is touted as a better rain tire (by Bridgestone)

http://bridgestonemotorcycletires.com/street.aspx

However that cannot be said for the S20, the evo version of that just plain sucks donkey dick in every way
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline jleosnow

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2016, 11:51:20 AM »
I have not seen any difference between the two. Mileage, feel, traction etc.... but supposedly the evo is touted as a better rain tire (by Bridgestone)

http://bridgestonemotorcycletires.com/street.aspx

However that cannot be said for the S20, the evo version of that just plain sucks donkey dick in every way

Thanks!
-John