Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:26:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Favorite roads  (Read 5574 times)

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
Favorite roads
« on: March 18, 2017, 02:08:04 PM »
In an interest in livening things up around here, I will start a thread about favorite roads. Tell us somethings about the road. Why you like it, what makes it great for you.

I will start with a lesser known road in Arkansas. HWY 14 runs between Omaha (Ar) and Mountain View and is one of my favorites in Arkansas. It is a state highway, so posted speeds are 55. As many of you know, Arkansas does not use gravel on it's shoulders so corners rarely if ever have any gravel. HWY 14 covers some ground and is a great, fun choice getting across the state.
As throughout most of Arkansas, police presence in rural areas is almost negligible. No further comment needed.  :)
Super grippy pavement as well.

More later.
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline Greg

• View Profile
Re: Favorite roads
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 09:53:58 AM »
Well, this thread took off like a wildfire  :)

Here's one of my favorites in Arkansas. I like to say this road is a "no mistakes" road as it has zero margin of error. No run off shoulders for much of it. Steep drop offs as well, but wonderfully tight. Best taken at 90%, screw Keith Code. (mostly joking)

And it's in Izard County!

These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Offline Greg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 10:09:52 AM »
Hwy 125 in Missouri running from the Peel Ferry to Bradleyville. New pavement a couple years ago and they didn't straighten any portion of it. One of the top 10 roads in America, IMO. You are hard pressed to have more fun at 70mph than on this road.

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 12:50:43 PM »
So, we have a couple AR roads and a MO road, complete with good descriptions and a map!

I do not have any fancy map to attach but;

I will add a CA road to the mix...........

I was very fond of rural hwy 155 in southern CA from Lake Isabella up through Black Mountain and then down westerly all the way back to Bakersfield glennville? road heading mostly southwesterly to Round Mountain road then some mix of turns to get back onto the freeway 958?) back to barstow

But 155 was the star of the route and this too was a road you make any mistake on and they won't find you probably ever. It is riddled with areas of hundreds of foot drops and rock protrusions taking up all the shoulder and part of the lane (narrowing the already narrow pass down to less than 20' wide in areas)

great road, constantly turning and nearly no place to stretch past about 50mph with any confidence..... elevation changes of thousands of feet several times.......
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline Greg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 07:59:14 AM »
Hwy 155 near Bakersfield looks terrific. I plan to spend a week exploring California some year! Thanks Lloyd.

Offline Greg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 08:22:59 AM »
Push Mountain Rd (Hwy 341) near Big Flat, Arkansas is one of my favorites as well. The southern boundary is Hwy 14. You can ride it for 25 miles north to Norfork, then take Hwy 5 south to Mountain View. The first 12 miles running north from Hwy 14 is the best portion of the road. What we often do is run that 12 miles, turn around and run it again back to Hwy 14! It's worth a 2nd trip. The cross roads you see are gravel fire-roads with very little traffic. The road is wide and the pavement is good quality. You can easily run both 12 mile directions and never see another vehicle. You are more likely to see another bike. This is a road where you can run 100% if you're so inclined.
As with most of Arkansas, they don't use gravel in the shoulders, so there *never* is any gravel in the corners. On very rare occasions a gravel driveway may meet the road in a corner and you might find some there.

Offline milepig

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 08:28:34 AM »
For me, it's a 25 mile section of highway 28 running north out of Franklin NC up to highway 74.
Milepig.. a VFR kind of guy.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 08:41:30 PM »
Poudre Canyon, CO

Offline Stinger

• Yea Hey Der
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 02:27:55 PM »
North on US Hwy 191 from Jackson Hole, WY to Moran, WY

The best straight road I've ever traveled on the CBR929RR at the speed limit.

The Grand Tetons
Roger
I still dislike forums.
Red PC800, White DRZ400S, Black FTR1200S, Red Multistrada 1200S