Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:20:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Colour me old...  (Read 2243 times)

Offline sleeper404

• View Profile
Colour me old...
« on: June 16, 2018, 12:05:54 PM »
Went on a group ride last night put on by a dealer, I will never attempt that again.  I'm amazed with the stupidity of riders in their 20s-30s.  I must be 30 going on 55...

Offline Umyaya

• View Profile
Re: Colour me old...
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 02:16:27 PM »
Lol

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 07:34:29 PM »
Wasn't SSB by chance? Sounds a lot like the old Caribou Death Rides in Coon rapids.
john pierson

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 08:01:20 AM »
Went on a group ride last night put on by a dealer, I will never attempt that again.  I'm amazed with the stupidity of riders in their 20s-30s.  I must be 30 going on 55...

I have never been on one of those style of rides and it would be interesting to hear the specific behavior you noticed. Racing from stop light to stop light, weaving dangerously in and out of traffic, etc. What did you see?

Interestingly there is another dimension to this story as well. Over the years several of us have issued "casting calls" out to the various forums inviting them to join our style of riding provided it's to their comfort levels. Surprisingly (or not?) often times they leave our rides early, or don't attend again because we're "too fast in the corners" lol.
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline wiemanca

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 08:25:57 AM »
Our son went on a ride similar to that last year, put on by a dealer in Lakeville.  It was not the dealer's fault, but the riders all thought that they were on a track day, and did not need to obey speed limits or street signs.  Everyone thought they had the fastest bike, and were trying to prove it.  He said he felt safer a few years ago, when he was driving a truck in Iraq or Afghanistan.  He never went on one of those rides again.  Guess he found something more dangerous than driving a semi-truck full of jet fuel in a war.
We Ride for MS
msmotorcycleride.org

Offline sleeper404

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 10:27:21 AM »
It was less the speed limits as I understand that some riders can handle corners better than others and it's more enjoyable to push sport bikes towards their limits, it's just blatantly ignoring the fact that we were supposed to be running staggered and riding tandem with complete strangers on very different machines, even through corners.  Passing in the same lane, etc.  I'm just amazed that people would run 2ft away from a stranger throughout the corners, even when I was clearly trying to keep a reasonable distance from the rider ahead of myself as well as trying to run solo through the corners in the event I might need to run wide to avoid an obstacle.

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 02:43:13 PM »
In my day there was no ridding staggered. Because the law said you could ride along side another rider you did. And because of this you did it in the corners as well. Then the AMA came out with safe ridding rules. Ridding staggered was the way to do it. Boy did that go against the grain. And now it is the only way I ride.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 04:01:02 PM by vince »

Offline sleeper404

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 03:55:44 PM »
Well the last ride I went on where you were the lead (Sunday before memorial day) didn't make me fear shaking loose from the mortal coil...

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 06:31:11 PM »
  I'm curious as to the area that this ride took in-rural?  In the very old days(70s) riding with WBMC we'd be side by side. Those of us of the "Café" bent would go on ahead or play catch up so as to not mess up the pack. Having meeting points in town will attract some who want the negative style activity. My meetups being 100mi away don't fit in with their idea of fun. We've had a bad few weeks with the young fellow's "suicide by sport bike" and the 5 others just recently. Making folks wear proper gear would probably be as tough as taking  the AKs & ARs away.  OK,2 cents from Oldheimer.  P.S. What's the MORTAL COIL?
john pierson

Offline Greg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 07:37:30 PM »
It was less the speed limits as I understand that some riders can handle corners better than others and it's more enjoyable to push sport bikes towards their limits, it's just blatantly ignoring the fact that we were supposed to be running staggered and riding tandem with complete strangers on very different machines, even through corners.  Passing in the same lane, etc.  I'm just amazed that people would run 2ft away from a stranger throughout the corners, even when I was clearly trying to keep a reasonable distance from the rider ahead of myself as well as trying to run solo through the corners in the event I might need to run wide to avoid an obstacle.

Understood! I can picture all of those behaviors in my mind, have seen them in one place or another over the years. Thankfully not on rides posted here.  :)
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Offline Greg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 07:41:52 PM »
  I'm curious as to the area that this ride took in-rural?  In the very old days(70s) riding with WBMC we'd be side by side. Those of us of the "Café" bent would go on ahead or play catch up so as to not mess up the pack. Having meeting points in town will attract some who want the negative style activity. My meetups being 100mi away don't fit in with their idea of fun. We've had a bad few weeks with the young fellow's "suicide by sport bike" and the 5 others just recently. Making folks wear proper gear would probably be as tough as taking  the AKs & ARs away.  OK,2 cents from Oldheimer.  P.S. What's the MORTAL COIL?

Per Wiki: Mortal coil is a poetic term for the troubles of daily life and the strife and suffering of the world. It is used in the sense of a burden to be carried or abandoned. To "shuffle off this mortal coil" is to die, as in the "To be, or not to be" soliloquy in Shakespeare's Hamlet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortal_coil

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 01:09:28 PM »
 Alas, how the forum has fallen!!??
john pierson