Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:37:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SW Wis getting hammered by floods again  (Read 1357 times)

Offline wiemanca

• View Profile
Re: SW Wis getting hammered by floods again
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 06:14:17 PM »
I went to Sun Prairie today and back and on the way this morning we saw water about 2 foot below the I-90 near Sparta with a house having water up to the 2nd floor.  Workers were checking the bridge for logs and such the way it looked to us.  On the way back, we saw water in a low spots between WI Dells and Mauston very high.  Two spots it was within about 2 feet from being on the surface of I-90/94.

Back near Sparta, the place we saw in the morning, was actually a road under I-90, not a stream and it was about 2 ft from going over I-90.

At the time, the radio station that I had on, was reporting roads that were closed in the Sparta-Mauston and to Coon Valley to WI Dells area, and the list went on for a few minutes.  Many after local functions are canceled for tonight also.

If that was not bad enough, when we got to La Crosse, more rain came.  And not just a little.  Everybody was driving about 45mph or less for several miles until past Dresbach, it was raining so hard.

Must be a H-D function somewhere east.  We met H-D riders in groups all the way from Madison.
We Ride for MS
msmotorcycleride.org

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 09:41:15 PM »
I read this evening that I90/94 was closed near Mauston.   The pictures coming out of the Coon Valley/Cashton area is horrible.  The Slimey Crud ride will be interesting in a month.

Offline naustin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 10:53:17 PM »
Onterio/Rockton is bad too.   Many washed out roads and bridges.  P somewhere near Wildcat was damaged, etc.  Kk south from LaCrosse washed out - I was just on it last week.  Chaseburg basically underwater.  Hard to even know the extent of the damage as the worst will come tonight and early tomorrow in many areas.  Looks like anything south of I-90 is likely best avoided for the rest of the season, at least.  Could be worse than the big flood 10 years ago, they’re saying.
2016 FJR

Offline wiemanca

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 09:53:40 AM »
511WI.GOV shows I-90/94 is still closed, plus a page of road closures.  Glad I am not driving that way today.

• I90/94 EB and WB, Closed, MM69 to MM79, water over road, (EB Detour: north on 80 (New
Lisbon), east on 21, south on I39) (WB Detour: North on I39, west on WIS 21, back to I94 near
Tomah)
We Ride for MS
msmotorcycleride.org

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 09:30:41 AM »
Lacrosse Tribune has updated their photo album with aerial shots of many towns.  Highway 131 is basically gone in several sections.

https://lacrossetribune.com/news/local/photos-floodwaters-cause-massive-damage-in-la-crosse-area/collection_2c25194e-178e-5ee3-bd91-0c616f98ba72.html#31

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 03:40:10 PM »
Amazing