Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:19:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Economics.....  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
Economics.....
« on: March 20, 2019, 07:02:32 PM »
So you need new tires;
 You have ridden your bike some 66,000 miles and been through your fair share of tires (you should know what you like and what you don't and what different mileages you got out of them)

You have run Michelin PR2 and PR3 and liked them and claim to have gotten about 10,000 miles out of each set (before I worked on the bike ever, so I cannot verify)
I know you ran the Roadtec 01's and got 7600 miles
I know you ran a set of T30GT's and got 5400 miles
I know you have run the Dunlop RSIII and gotten 9100 miles (the set coming off right now)

other than mileage you haven't noticed any difference between any of them

So choices seem to be;
PR4's @ $358/set zero rebates.................net $358............................................. 3.58 cents per mile (if these even make it to 10k like you say your other pilot roads did)
T31's @ $265/set with $60 rebate.............net $205............................................ 3.79 cents per mile (if same as T30)
RSIII @ $235/set with $60 rebate.............net $175............................................ 1.92 cents per mile if same mileage as setcoming off

Why pay twice as much to get PR4's that may or may not last any longer than the RSIII's at half the price????????? (best case scenario seems to indicate you may be able to eek out 1000 extra miles for that addiitonal $178 of up front expense, hell you could buy a second set of the RSIII for that!!!!!!)

Waste you monies however you want, but the smart money....buy the RSIII's! ( get twice the mileage for the same monies ~ essentially~)

Busa showing up....... wants a stretched swingarm installed, new chain and sprockets and new tires...... oh and has never had a tune up etc......... We'll see what he says on budget- but if it is sub $1k I would be surprised

anyways........... Just one of the many things I have to deal with every day when it comes to customers....
 Far too many listen to facebook or some forum of anonymous souls with zero vested interest and even less educated knowledge......... but the dumbs still listen to them and worse still solicit their advice...........
Too many dumbs in the world...

I had to correct the decimal point error in this post after doing the math below.......... So Q4 rear alone will cost more than twice per mile what any of these would^ as a complete set
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 08:17:10 PM by Deplorable, thank you! »
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

• View Profile
Re: Economics.....
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 08:15:26 PM »
 Speaking of wasting monies.....

So I had installed a set of Q4's on my street bike just to test them out....... since so many customers ask what kind of mileage they can expect out of them

as new;
 6.5/32" is the tread depth above the wear bar

Vince and I did that one ride together a couple weeks ago in the cool and damp at a snails pace apparently (oh wait Vince said I kept cutting him off and block passing him- better catch up on the correct story line... lol)

Well anyways- I was at a snails pace getting excellent fuel economy, Vince was riding his Hardley as hard as he could to keep up- getting shit for mileage

okay back to some reality and facts..........

327 miles on those tires since new
measured tread depth now 4/32" dead on the nuts

So 130.8 miles per .5/32" x 13................looks to be an 1700 mile tire on the street... all things wearing equal (which we all know there are variables)

gheesh, That is actually better than I expected..... I thought Sundays ride might do it in actually, but 1800 for what it is is very decent...

$140/1800=7.777 cents per mile

Well it is a DOT Race Tire, I didn't expect it to last much over 1000 miles, since I have ridden a couple DOT race tires previously on the street and 1200 is the most I ever got out of them

Just as some comparison.......... The same tire on a very similar bike ridden at a faster pace, significantly so really..... Made it 550 miles on the track wearing out the edges to where you could not even see the first 1"+ of the sipe and a nice big concave portion about an inch upto about 3 inches from the edge
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 08:18:37 PM »
 FYI...........

Dunlop did extend there rebate deal on tires through the last day of June and the Roadsmart III and Elite 4's are excellent tires for longevity and fun

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 09:42:40 AM »
 That's why I've been using Shinkos Ravens for years. I.E. cheap/frugal Norwegian.
john pierson

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 04:22:29 PM »
I won't put those tires on my neighbor kid little red wagon..
Lol.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 10:21:59 AM by vince »

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 08:54:49 AM »
Shitco's.... Kenda's and a slew of other junk

I won't install for any amount of money on anyones bikes. Hate those cheap pieces of garbage, but there are obviously tons of people who buy them and ride on them

Offline Mike Duluth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 10:22:03 AM »
For me a set of tires that will exceed my riding capabilities is all I need. Using spendy race ready tires is a huge waist of money for me, the center of the tire is down to nothing before the rest of the tire is even close.
I would like to be that guy that has the little curly rubber things on the outside of my rear tire but I'm not, so it's not necessary for me to use that type if tire.
I've bounced around a bit trying different sport touring tires, but so far the best one for me is the road 3 and 4.
Push Harder

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 02:19:34 PM »
 For sure not trackday tires(Shinko makes others for that) but they worked fine for many Hill Country days. 
john pierson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 02:50:46 PM »
 My problem with them is how crappy the quality control is

back 5-7 years ago when I would install them if customers brought them in;
they were out of round,
took excessive amount of weight to balance (when they would balance),
most of them came back with vibration issues or other issues
and even the 'sporty" junk they pitch to the idiots rarely did I see people run them to the wear bars becasue of all the other issues

but I see straightline people --you know the liter+ folks without a clue-- and those who commute to work at a snails pace 1 mile each way think they are a bargain.......... many of whom swear by them all the time

I know for fact I have pulled atleast 40 of them off bikes in the past 12 months that were less than half worn out and replaced them with real quality rubber because even the customers thought they were garbage and needed quality rubber......