Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:41:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ozark's  (Read 7294 times)

Offline Chris

• View Profile
Ozark's
« on: July 22, 2010, 10:10:28 AM »
I heard a rumor that, a group of you guys went to Arkansas, I am thinking about doing that and have a few questions

1st - did you trailer down there or ride?
2nd - what time of year?
3rd - where did you stay?
4th - is there anything you would change?
5th - would you go again?
Chris
----------

Offline Stinger

• Yea Hey Der
    • View Profile
Re: Ozark's
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 10:51:38 AM »

1st - did you trailer down there or ride?  Trailer
2nd - what time of year?  May
3rd - where did you stay?  A cabin in Henderson
4th - is there anything you would change?  Nope
5th - would you go again?  September
Roger
I still dislike forums.
Red PC800, White DRZ400S, Black FTR1200S, Red Multistrada 1200S

Offline RCKT GRL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 10:58:51 AM »
I heard a rumor that, a group of you guys went to Arkansas, I am thinking about doing that and have a few questions

1st - did you trailer down there or ride?  TRAILER
2nd - what time of year?  APRIL & SEPT
3rd - where did you stay?  Harrison and/or Mountain Home
4th - is there anything you would change?  Riding for a whole WEEK!
5th - would you go again?  DEFINATELY!!
Those who have actually NEVER tried riding the track could learn a thing or 10 about being a better streetrider; because let's be honest; none of us (Greg) are as great as we think we are. LMAO!

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 11:31:48 AM »
Been there a dozen times. I concur with everything Roger & Denyse said.  :headbang:

1st - did you trailer down there or ride? Trailer
2nd - what time of year? May and September
3rd - where did you stay? Harrison, Mountain Home &  Eureka Springs (my favorite is Harrison)
4th - is there anything you would change? Nope, it's sportbike nirvana. Little traffic, lax LEO, zero gravel shoulders (clean corners!) cars that (almost without fail) pull over for you so you can zip by. How often does THAT happen in Minnesota or Wisconsin?
5th - would you go again? Yepper, going again this September

PM sent.  
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 11:59:57 AM by stevens_ave929 »
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline 4kless

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 11:48:44 AM »
1st - did you trailer down there or ride?  Ride - 10 to 11 hours depending on destination...but with a trailer available I'd be tempted to go that route.
2nd - what time of year?  Sept; each of last 3 years
3rd - where did you stay?  Mena, Mtn Home & Heber Springs
4th - is there anything you would change?  Many counties are dry. Blasphemy!
5th - would you go again?  Absolutely. Many great roads in terms of layout, scenery, condition and lack of traffic
*note* there are a couple of MSTA events held in AR in the fall & one in the MO Ozarks in Oct
There is also a monstrous cruiser-fest in late Sept (Bikes, Blues & BBQ) that will clog the main highways but the fun stuff is usually still OK.

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 12:04:25 PM »
I've done this at least a half dozen times.

1st - did you trailer down there or ride?/Trailer
2nd - what time of year?/April,June, Sept, Oct
3rd - where did you stay?/ Generally a different town every night
4th - is there anything you would change?/No
5th - would you go again?/Yes

Typically I've done trips in conjunction with hitting one of the MSTA AMA sanctioned rides that are held in the Ozarks and made it a full week of riding the Ozarks.

Offline flyinlow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 01:55:41 PM »
I should really get down there one of these days, haven't been there since I was born (I was born in Ft. Leonard Wood, MO)

2008 Ducati Monster S4Rs Tricolore

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 04:54:15 PM »

So do you leave your truck and trailer at some place then ride back to it when your ready to leave Ar?
Chris
----------

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 05:55:32 PM »

So do you leave your truck and trailer at some place then ride back to it when your ready to leave Ar?

Yes. drop the truck and trailer and ride a multi day loop from it and back to it. Cover the entire riding area with as little repetition as possible. Different route sheet for each day.

I used to do these trips every year, but haven't been able to for the past of couple of years. Next year I'll be putting at least one of these together for MSTA members. Pull together trailers and tow vehicles, route sheets for each day, planned lunch stops, and hotel reservations for each night around an MSTA national event. Probably be to an event near the Appalachian Ridge. In the past, I've done them to the west coast, Colorado, Ozarks, Nova Scotia and Appalachians.

Offline Dazzle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 06:06:01 PM »
I have been down there several times.  Street and dirt. Can't beat it.  I am up for a trip this Sept or Oct.  We could take the RV.
Dick Roles

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 06:59:47 PM »

Yes. drop the truck and trailer and ride a multi day loop from it and back to it. Cover the entire riding area with as little repetition as possible. Different route sheet for each day.

I used to do these trips every year, but haven't been able to for the past of couple of years. Next year I'll be putting at least one of these together for MSTA members. Pull together trailers and tow vehicles, route sheets for each day, planned lunch stops, and hotel reservations for each night around an MSTA national event. Probably be to an event near the Appalachian Ridge. In the past, I've done them to the west coast, Colorado, Ozarks, Nova Scotia and Appalachians.

So your not worried about anything happening to the Truck\Trailer while your out and about?

Chris
----------

Offline Stinger

• Yea Hey Der
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 07:19:14 PM »
A couple of times it was my truck with trailer.

No worries.

We would stay at a hotel the night of arriving and the night before heading back and they would keep a eye on the rig.
Roger
I still dislike forums.
Red PC800, White DRZ400S, Black FTR1200S, Red Multistrada 1200S

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 07:54:34 PM »

So your not worried about anything happening to the Truck\Trailer while your out and about?

The only time I worry about the truck and trailer is when it is loaded with all the bikes. I've always thought when everything is loaded it makes a particularly tempting target.

Offline Tim...

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 08:19:38 PM »
I would love to do a Canadian Maritimes trip.

Tim...

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 12:09:09 PM »
I've been to the Ozarks 5 times.

1 Trailer or ride       I rode there and back once and trailered 4 times
2 Time of year        I usually go in September.  Too hot in July/August. Last time I went in May because an opportunity popped up
3 Where did you stay           Last two times Harrison, AR. Other times moved around between Branson, MO and Petite Jean S. P. AR
4 Anything I would change          No
5 Would I go again                      Absolutely

Others have mentioned the smooth, clean road conditions and relaxed law wnforcement. I'll just say a few words about the roads. You can ride
twisties all day without going on more than 5-6 roads.  You don't need a two page routesheet in AR.  There are some roads that are particularly
fun and challenging (123, Push Mt road, 125, The Pig Trail to name a few) but even the connector roads used to get from, say Push Mt Rd to
123 are exceptional. These lesser roads would be raved about if they were in MN. Also some roads have a positive camber which encourages
aggresive riding. Most of the fun roads are mostly free of traffic. Two really fun roads (AR 7 and MO 160) have traffic but with careful timing
they can be ridden hard.

Bottom Line. If you have not been there go. If you have been there go again. It is that good!