Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:32:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I need a new bike! Which One?  (Read 7948 times)

Offline Tim...

• View Profile
Re: I need a new bike! Which One?
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2010, 09:27:20 AM »
My impressions of the S1000RR after 3500 miles:

Throttle response is a little sensitive particularly in "slick" mode where you have a quarter-turn throttle.  On the street, there is no way would I run the bike in this mode.  "race" mode works well for me on the street, but I still need to be very cognizant of making very minor throttle adjustments.  It took me a while to adjust to the surge that would happen, even on the highway, when hitting a bump.  Midrange I found to be a little lackluster, but looking at the dyno comparisons, it is right there with the Japanese inline fours.  Get this thing over 11000 RPM though, it is a frigging rocket.  A full system or a CAT eliminator with a PC V apparently livens things up quite a bit below 11000 RPM.

Turn-in is very quick, but under hard braking, the front-end can be a little twitchy when pushed hard.  If I was racing or doing a lot more track days, Ohlins drop-in cartridges would be a must.  The rear suspension held up well, and for my skill level, no need to change it.  NOTE: The suspension was dialed in at the dealer while waiting to take possession of the bike.  My suspension knowledge is embarrassingly  non-existent, so it is hard for me to tell if I am maxing out the suspension or if it is not properly set up.  The stock dampener is set a little hard, and there is no way to adjust it; this will probably be my next upgrade.

The race ABS, I believe, was a new design, and it is the same system that is run in WSBK.  It works really well and inspires a lot of confidence; under hard braking, it does a very good job at keeping the chassis stable while still loading the front end for turn-in.  I am used to a more linear braking system, so there was some adjustment as these brakes hit like a sledgehammer.  The TCS works so well, you barely notice it doing anything.  The adjustments it makes to keep the back tire from kicking out and the front tire on the ground are subtle.  At my sill level, you rarely notice the TCS, but again, it is confidence inspiring to know it is there and doing its job.  Kudos to BMW on their TCS, it really is a wonderful piece of engineering.  The quickshfter is nothing special; a little smoother than the dynojet bolt-on I had on my R6.

Tim...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 09:30:18 AM by DirkDiggler »

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2010, 03:56:50 PM »
Tim,

Thanks for the report!  Great information.

Funny, my first reaction is that you are nuts to ride it on the street in slick or race mode.  Then I remember that most bikes don't have ABS or traction control. :)

Suspension set up is tough!My understanding is that the stock suspension is designed to work with a 187 pound rider. Anything outside of this and you may need new springs. 

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 08:07:45 PM »
I have been bike shopping today, I think these are the bikes I would go with

1- Aprilia RSV4
2- BMW S1000 RR
3- Ducati 1198

now how can I get my wife to OK it..
Chris
----------

Offline KoopaTroopa

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 12:32:53 AM »
I enjoy my R1. If I got another bike, it would be another R1. The bike is common enough that it's easy to get parts for, it looks and feels great, has more power than I will ever use, and you can get a new one still in the shrink wrap for about 12K. I am an avid shopper on craigslist. I've found great deals on a couple cars and my current bike.

Although I wouldn't mind test riding that 3 wheeled thing that looks like a snowmobile, just out of curiosity. And the Augusta MV is hands down the sickest looking bike I have ever seen! ;D

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2010, 05:42:05 PM »
The latest R1 also sounds great out of the box. 

One nice thing.  All of these bikes are better than I am.  :)

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2010, 05:43:49 PM »
The new-to-me bike is here!

I am the delighted new caretaker of a Ducati 1098S Tricolore. 

Wonderful, babied machine at a price that I could not pass up.  Delightful seller - I still have not gotten through all of the great stuff he sent me separately.

I have been out for just a couple of rides so far as my still healing arm and wrist will not put up with much. 

Great bike; easy to ride, quick turn-in (light wheels), wonderful brakes, more than enough power.

I am using learning the new bike as an opportunity to re-assess my riding - it's a great combo, try to get rid of any old bad habits and work on skills while a new bike forces me to think. 

I was lucky to run into Ray at Minneapolis Ducati (Friday?) as he was picking up one of his machines.  Thus, while I don't have pictures I have a witness.  ;D

Offline mngir1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 06:10:02 PM »
Congrats on the new Duc!  However....

:needpics:

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 08:02:59 PM »
Absolutely beautiful bike. Erich got a great deal on it too. Watched it come up on a forum, that we both belong too and saw Erich get the first PM in to the seller.

Here are pics from the seller's ad.

Congrats!!!

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2010, 08:07:19 PM »
I enjoy my R1. If I got another bike, it would be another R1. The bike is common enough that it's easy to get parts for, it looks and feels great, has more power than I will ever use, and you can get a new one still in the shrink wrap for about 12K. I am an avid shopper on craigslist. I've found great deals on a couple cars and my current bike.

Although I wouldn't mind test riding that 3 wheeled thing that looks like a snowmobile, just out of curiosity. And the Augusta MV is hands down the sickest looking bike I have ever seen! ;D

That's some good points.

Very nice bike Elk, ride safe
Chris
----------

Offline mngir1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2010, 08:12:59 PM »
Now THAT'S more like it. 

DROOL!!!

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2010, 12:08:43 PM »
That is one of the sexiest bikes out there!

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2010, 03:02:32 PM »
Thank you for posting the pics, Ray.  I didn't think of linking the seller's.  But they are really BIG:)

First PT appointment today.  I can't wait to get more flexibility and strength back. 

Thanks for the positive comments!

Offline mikey

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2010, 04:19:27 PM »
congrats on your new treasure.  that sure is one sexy ass machine.

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2010, 08:00:24 PM »
congrats on your new treasure.  that sure is one sexy ass machine.

Hmmm... do mean the ass machine is sexy, or the machine is sexy ass?   ???

Just kidding.  Sort of.  I've heard bikes called "butt jewelry", so "ass machine" wouldn't be too much of a stretch.   :D

Offline RCKT GRL

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2010, 10:50:36 AM »
Congrats! Beautiful bike.  When can I see if it wheelies??   ;D
Those who have actually NEVER tried riding the track could learn a thing or 10 about being a better streetrider; because let's be honest; none of us (Greg) are as great as we think we are. LMAO!