Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:12:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 10 in 10  (Read 2104 times)

Offline flyinlow

• View Profile
10 in 10
« on: August 20, 2010, 09:30:10 AM »
For all you long distance riding fans, do you think you could pull this off? I think I would have one tired butt after this ride

http://www.utah1088.com/TenInTenRally.pdf

2008 Ducati Monster S4Rs Tricolore

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
Re: 10 in 10
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 11:13:00 AM »
For all you long distance riding fans, do you think you could pull this off? I think I would have one tired butt after this ride

http://www.utah1088.com/TenInTenRally.pdf

I used to be much more interested in long-distance riding.  Now, not so much.  Maybe I've just gotten lazy, but it seems like when I think about doing an endurance ride now, I always think of a bunch of other ways to spend the time and money.  One of those other ways usually wins out.

We did a couple of group SaddleSore 1000s a few years back.  For the first one, Roger hosted a finishing party at his house.  Sanders lost his wallet somewhere in South Dakota.  On the second one, the route included lots of twisties, but we barely finished within the 24 hours.  I think those of us who rode both SS1Ks would say that the second one was tougher.  I remember leaving the last gas stop (somewhere along I-35 in Iowa I think), and Sanders wanting to take us south.  Good thing Roger (at least I think it was Roger) didn't follow him.

The toughest part of endurance riding, to me, isn't getting a sore butt.  A good seat makes that a non-issue.  The toughest part for me is staying alert.  Not just staying awake, but making sure that if I need to react to a hazard, I won't be in a zombie state and just run right into it.

Brent

Vander

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 11:24:49 AM »
do you think you could pull this off?

I think I could, but I must agree with beedawg... I'm not sure that I'd want to.
If I met someone who did this I would be totally impressed, though.

Offline Stinger

• Yea Hey Der
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 12:11:15 PM »
Yup, I had been leading awhile and after that stop in Iowa (the roads totally sucked) Sanders said he would lead.

First turn and he wants to ride to Texas, on the other hand everybody else was more interested in heading North and stopping in Lakeville, MN.

That's the first and only time my butt was on a motorcycle for 24+ hours straight. Temps 40's to 90's. Sun to rain.
Funny how I can remember soo much of that trip. But I wouldn't do it again.

1000 in 1 is enough. Adding 9 more of them is plain crazy.
Roger
I still dislike forums.
Red PC800, White DRZ400S, Black FTR1200S, Red Multistrada 1200S

PKPK

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 12:53:36 PM »
I did both of those MN-Sportbike Brent designed SS1000's and enjoyed the second one much more than the first.  The first one was a simple highway loop that took us mainly interstates or superslabs.  That one was my first sanctioned 1000 mile ride so I was very enthused, even knowing I was going to be riding 80% of the route at high speed interstate drone speed.  I had planned on riding with people, then decided to see how fast I could do the route by myself.  I pulled into Rogers at ~15 1/2 hours about 15 minutes after the first finisher.  I dd get my IBA certificate from this SS.

The second SS1000 was much more challenging.  It combined a mix of freeway and county twisty.  The roads spanned the length of MN and Wis with highway 1 at Ely on the north and 131/27 at Prairie Du Chien at the south, then over to Clear Lake Iowa.    I remember feeling zoned out by PDC and I remember giggling when I saw the sign for "Gays Mills".  Between PDC and Clear Lake, we were having to deal with convoys of cattle trucks in the dark and then just missed a bad storm that rolled through Charles City.  I also remember listening to ESPN Sports Center on Sat radio looping.  I actually listened to about 5 loopings before I realized they were looping.  At Clear Lake I filled up my water bottle with coffee, thinking that would get me a refreshed blast while on the home stretch but experienced the opposite effect as the more I drank, the drowsier I became.  I remember getting pissed at Darcy's very bright headlight, so I fell behind her and then dropped back out of view because I couldn't keep a steady throttle.  Yup, boys and girls, you can point out that I used very poor judgment by not pulling off the road and taking a quick nap and yep, I shouldn't throw stones after fessing this one.  The last memory I have of the finish point at the McStop in Lakeville was ride checkpoint person, Dan Bettenhausen looking at us with a sorry look, like a bunch of lost animals.  

But I had fun...and I would do it again.

Oh, and still waiting for my IBA documentation from that SS.   :D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 05:04:52 PM by PKPK »

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 11:37:57 AM »
that would be fun :)
Chris
----------