Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:30:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Turn #1 at BIR  (Read 2864 times)

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
Turn #1 at BIR
« on: September 01, 2010, 02:48:07 PM »
I just need this confirmed. Don't read more into this question than is there.

Are there brake markers (signs or similar) going into turn #1 at BIR telling you when to brake?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Greg
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline iceracer83

• View Profile
Re: Turn #1 at BIR
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 03:08:26 PM »
Greg,
I can only speak for car racing at BIR, the CRA guys will need to answer for bikes.
No brake markers for turns 1 or 2.

You are better off using permanent reference points for your braking and turn in points. Man made markers have a tendency to move.
I don't brake for turn one. Sometimes I use the little paved apron before turn 2 as a reference for lifting or braking. It depends on the vehicle I am driving.
Spec Racer....no lifting from 10 to 3. 911, brake significantly for 2.

Jay

Offline nraforevr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 03:17:30 PM »
Greg, this is the first thing today to make me laugh out loud. Thank you.

No offense.  ;D

As far as I know, no one in the history of the universe brakes for T1.

That's why it's funny.

I could be wrong. The only course there I've ridden is the long one. Are you talking about the short course T1?

I know that doesn't answer your question. I don't believe there are brakemarkers for T1 ... least I've never seen any, because I'm always rolling through there WFO and hoping for more MPH.

P
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 03:22:23 PM by nraforevr »
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

Offline iceracer83

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 03:50:48 PM »
Pat,
I have heard of people braking for turn 1 when their skirt flies up in front of their face.
Jay

Offline riderrocketman

• View Profile
    • MotoCore Network
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 04:05:48 PM »
No markers and no braking in turn 1 for either long or competition (short) course at BIR. The pavement overlaps in either course so turn 1 is the same section. You'll just be going much faster on the long course because of the long straight before it.

And yeah, I don't brake in turn one but have rolled off throttle a plenty to maneuver around some flying skirts. Some skirts have passed me too! There's some fast skirts in the CRA.

Offline riderrocketman

• View Profile
    • MotoCore Network
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 04:20:48 PM »
No markers in turn two either, but you will slow down for it. I usually roll off the throttle a little. No brakes. Turn 3 is the first corner with markers and the first heavy braking corner. If you're cooking it you'll be braking from over 140 MPH coming into turn 3. I've seen a lot of guys bite it there. Fortunately, I haven't but I have run off track without a crash. Bit it in almost every other corner though!

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 08:36:30 PM »
I know you are asking about formal signs/markers, but when people are talking about corners they often refer to all sorts of "markers," cracks, the little painted "H" shape before Turn 3, etc.

I am one of the wimps.  As I approach turn 1 I brake a tad.  I am at 155+ MPH in my Corvette Z06 toward the end of the straight and I am not willing to enter 1 at 155-160 on street tires, even the wonderful F1 Supercars.  135 MPH or so is perfectly adequate for this occasional weekend warrior.

I have no idea how to handle it on a bike.

PKPK

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 08:51:58 PM »
Back when I raced at BIR, I wouldn't brake for ANY corner, even after six beers.  I needed all the momentum I could to get my Trek bicycle through the sandy areas around the infield.  It was a bitch hauling ass through the bumpy areas with one hand holding a can of brew too.

Offline iceracer83

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 03:21:12 PM »
I forever tainted a water bottle with margarita flavoring by doing the same thing Paul.
You must have a far steadier beer hand than I do. Riding through the infield with a beer would be a waste of beer, most of it would spill.

Greg, did you search youtube for a lap of the track?
I am sure you could find an on board lap showing the brake markers.

Jay

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 04:45:23 PM »
Greg on the long course you only need to back off on the gas for turn 1 at 201 mph any thing less and you just hold it wide open. I have only seen two riders that ever needed to do this. Mat and Duhamel. Turn 3 has brake markers when I raced. And turn 10 on the long course did also. I'm going up there this weekend I'll let you know.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 12:39:25 AM by vince »

PKPK

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 07:44:53 PM »
I forever tainted a water bottle with margarita flavoring by doing the same thing Paul.
You must have a far steadier beer hand than I do. Riding through the infield with a beer would be a waste of beer, most of it would spill.

Well yeah, but that is why i brought along a couple of extras in my tote bag.   :D

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 01:57:41 PM »
 I taped the message"HOLD OPEN AND STEER"on my tank but never had time to read it. At turn 3 I would break where Jesus was standing ;)  ;D Guzzi John CRA racer 76-80,paddock marshal 81-90+
john pierson