Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:10:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I need a new riding suit  (Read 7767 times)

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
I need a new riding suit
« on: March 17, 2010, 11:32:50 PM »
I posted this before but I wasn't able to read any of the posts, so here it is again.
I'm tinking of getting a full body riding suit, either leather or textile. If I get leather should I get full leather so I stay a little warmer when it's cooler out. Or get a combo leather textile to stay cool all the time. And if I do this should I get this a little larger so I can put some under clothes on under neath to stay warm on cooler days.
I now a lot of you have an Areostich. If I go with this what should I be looking for here. Why do so many of you like this suit so much?
I don't know for sure when I'm going to get this I mean it took me 42 years of riding before I bought riding boots for the street.
Thanks.

Offline mngir1

• View Profile
Re: I need a new riding suit
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 11:44:46 PM »
I just have to say it tickles me to see "newbie" under Vince's name.  :) 

Offline Tumbler

• View Profile
    • Better Livivng Thru Mondern Chemistry
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 01:07:42 AM »
I'm considering the same thing Vince.  I am leaning towards a Roadcrafter full suit from Aerostitch.  Maybe we should do a ride to the Rider Warehouse & check them out.  I hear if you go there you get a discount & may even find something on-hand that would work without having to special order.  I'm up for it!!!
Mark Cell  612-910-3339    Business website: http://www.amway.com/justlivin
Check it out...great deals for riding season snacks & such!!

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 08:16:44 AM »
I now a lot of you have an Aerostich. If I go with this what should I be looking for here. Why do so many of you like this suit so much?

Vince, I've bought two Aerostich Roadcrafter suits.  They are a great all-purpose riding suit.  If I could only have one piece of gear, this would be it.  With all the pockets, it's like a suitcase that you wear.  It can feel pretty warm when you're not moving, but there's just enough ventilation when you're moving.  It's a compromise, but it's a pretty good one.  I bought a two-piece mostly for fit.  I bought the jacket in a larger size, too, so I could fit more stuff underneath in cold weather

I'm not as happy with Aerostich as I was, and here's why: My first Roadcrafter kept me absolutely dry in all kinds of weather.  My second one has never kept me dry.  It seemed to leak from the day it was new.

I really like the wide range of gear available these days.  My newest piece is a Joe Rocket leather/textile jacket.  It has mesh panels and the sleeves and sides that are covered with zip-out panels.  Really comfortable in a wide range of temps, and it fits well.

Brent

Offline TomG

• ODO: 30,485
    • View Profile
    • Minneapolis Criminal Lawyer
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 08:54:32 AM »
leather vs textile: IMO leather is great for sliding on the track, a little better for that than textile. But textile better in every other way, including in the wet.

I love my 'stich roadcrafter 1-piece.  It's gore-tex, but not 100% waterproof unless: 1) learn the crotch fold trick (avoid it), 2) treat it w/ waterproofing.  Waterproofing: I've sprayed Scotchgard, which worked perfect (do it in garage); and the wash-in stuff aerostich sells - also worked perfect (every couple years).

I've road tested it's sliding ability a couple times. impressive - no damages at low speeds. and we saw it at the 'crash event' on birch several years ago - impressive.  Pads are great too.

Only time I don't wear it: over 90* F.
Tom G
Red Duc Mon

Offline Sanders

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 11:30:57 AM »
 Some of the newer textiles come with zip-off sleeves. The armor stays in, the sleeves come off, and what a difference it makes when the humidity is up. My riding time in the hot humid sticky stuff has increased because of it. I wasn't thinking about buying new gear (I had a 1-2 yr old 1 pc. Aerostich), but when I saw that feature I jumped in. I think it is my single best piece of motorcycle gear that I've ever bought. The leather jacket and britches sit unused.
 Mines made by my motorcycle company and wouldn't work for you, but I think Rev-it makes the very same stuff.

http://www.revit.eu/catalogue/

Sanders
Last edited by Temporal Security Agency: 8-25-2026 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Deleted unlawful reference to future history

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 03:40:53 PM »
I love my 'stich roadcrafter 1-piece.  It's gore-tex, but not 100% waterproof unless: 1) learn the crotch fold trick (avoid it), 2) treat it w/ waterproofing.

Even Andy Goldfine doesn't claim his zippers are waterproof.

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 03:45:36 PM »
Some of the newer textiles come with zip-off sleeves. The armor stays in, the sleeves come off

I didn't see anything right off at Revit's site, but I wonder if this is the same as my Joe Rocket.  There's a zip-out panel on each side that runs from my hip to my underarm and down to my wrist.  The outside of my arm is still covered, and my elbow pads are still in place.  It really is a venting machine.  I haven't crash-tested it yet, but the abrasion-prone areas are all leather. 

Brent

Offline TomG

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 04:58:44 PM »
If you do get a 'stich 1-piece, for use on a sportbike, I'd Rx getting some of their customizations done, such as the back extension wedge, and maybe the rotated sleeves.  When you try a suit one, be sure to do so while stting on a sportbike.  Probably best to do that in Duluth.
Tom G
Red Duc Mon

Offline TomG

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 05:01:22 PM »

Even Andy Goldfine doesn't claim his zippers are waterproof.

Does "Mr Subjective?"  :)  Mine has been 100% water-proof, as long as the crotch fold is pulled up, not pooling; and I've sprayed it and-or wash-in the waterproofing stuff.  I've ridden through deluges for hours on end in the dang thing...  YMMV.
Tom G
Red Duc Mon

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 10:29:13 PM »
I'm considering the same thing Vince.  I am leaning towards a Roadcrafter full suit from Aerostitch.  Maybe we should do a ride to the Rider Warehouse & check them out.  I hear if you go there you get a discount & may even find something on-hand that would work without having to special order.  I'm up for it!!!
I see that the Revit catalogue that they have a lotof stuff. I will go check tham out.
When the weather gets nice again and I have my new bike we'll have to go up and try some on.

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 05:16:22 PM »
Vince, give Bassett a call and see what he has to say about the Olympia synthetic suit. It is another alternative to the Stich.

Riderwarehouse now also has waterproof 2 piece leathers. Very pricey, but they look like lifetime garments.

Personally I think what you get depends on what you want the suit for.

If you want an all purpose suit good for multi day rides, a Stich is hard to beat. It versatility and utility really pay off on multi day trips eliminating the need to carry other pieces of riding gear.

For day rides in really hot weather nothing beats perforated leathers or mesh synthetics and for cold weather day rides leathers still seem the warmest and least drafty to me.

If you folks decide to go up to Duluth to visit the Riderwarehouse, let me know.

Offline VFJayR

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 05:21:26 PM »
+1 for this.  I love my 1 piece

If you do get a 'stich 1-piece, for use on a sportbike, I'd Rx getting some of their customizations done, such as the back extension wedge, and maybe the rotated sleeves.  When you try a suit one, be sure to do so while stting on a sportbike.  Probably best to do that in Duluth.
2003 VFR
2008 CBR1000RR

Offline feltonjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 08:07:03 PM »
I have had my roadcrafter for a couple of years and except in really hot (90+) weather, it has been great for me. Rain, and snow (2+ inches in Kingman AZ Feb 2009) have not gotten through it yet. It was a little stiff in the first 1K miles or so, but now feels like a 2nd skin. I did "ride there" and get a discount. If you have not been to their store in Duluth you should go. The staff are very helpful and it is a unique setting. A big plus is the chance to ride the road through Jay Cooke state park on the way - both ways. If you aren't tempted to turn around and ride it again I think you are reading the wrong forum, it's that good.

Regarding your leaking suit, I am pretty sure that Aerostich does not want to let you suffer. I bet if you contact them directly they will find a way to fix the issue.

Offline debbyjass

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 05:57:28 PM »
If you want an all purpose suit good for multi day rides, a Stich is hard to beat. It versatility and utility really pay off on multi day trips eliminating the need to carry other pieces of riding gear.

I agree with Ray on this one.  I have a one-piece 'Stich, a two-piece leather suit, and a two-piece mesh synthetic suit, and I grab my 'Stich more times than not.  I love the super easy on-and-off feature, the multiple pockets, the gortex/waterproof feature (although it does pool in the crotch during heavy downpours), the numerous zippers and air vents, the roominess to add extra layers and/or electrics, the protective armor, the reflective strips - it's got it all.  I love how I can ride in any weather and feel completely protected and comfortable.  If I could have only one riding suit, it would be a 'Stich - even if it isn't very fashionable for women!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Not all who wander are lost.