Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:47:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "THOUGHT I WAS KIDDING EH?"  (Read 4035 times)

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
"THOUGHT I WAS KIDDING EH?"
« on: November 14, 2010, 11:50:18 AM »
  When I posted 'skis' to the get together forum  my Norwegian intuition knew this was coming :o. I know there are some other elderly bikers(or comely maidens) out there that still are able to put lumber on their feet. I can't go down hills at all but love getting out in the quiet woods for some nature time.  The Futura will get stripped to the bone for service but this old carcass needs to get out of the shop for the same reason. I'm sure some of you need the same. C'mon let's shoosh.GJ
john pierson

PKPK

Re: "THOUGHT I WAS KIDDING EH?"
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 11:57:02 AM »
I used to XC sk alot in my younger years.  Still have both long and skate skis too but I'd guess they are hopelessly outdated by now.  However, I doubt you will be "shooshing" anytime soon as this stuff is going to disappear and what little covered trail you could find right now would be more of a "SLOP SLOP."

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 12:20:49 PM »
You got to get a snowmobile. If you want to get out in the woods were it is really quiet. I have seen places that nobody as seen on foot. Not that they couldn't, it would take days of walking to get there. Also you can get a good work out ridding a sled.
Snowmobiling it's not what it use to be, it's much better.

PKPK

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 12:30:19 PM »
Then why aren't you out on it right now.  :D

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 01:25:20 PM »
Trails open Dec 1 to April 1.
I was out in the storm putting up our trail yesterday. We didn't get it done so we will be out during the week an on the weekend to get it done.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 05:09:03 PM by vince »

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 08:17:46 PM »
I've only been on a sled a couple of times but it is a lot more fun than I expected. 

It is indeed a workout, too.  You are not going to get cold.

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 10:10:14 AM »
 Sorry but sleds are not my idea of getting out to enjoy the serenity of nature. For me they have all the appeal of ATVS,PICKUPS,& HOGLIES!!  ::) I have an inkling that many of you do not appreciate the beauty of the 'Hill Country' while blasting through it.GJ
john pierson

PKPK

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 01:08:04 PM »
Most people that have the quiet nature thing goin on will never get in far enough to see what we see.

What do you mean by "in far"?  When I X-country skied, I could go well over 30 miles / day on decent trails.  The arrowhead or Yelllowstone is not any more of a limit for skiers than it is sleds.  It may take longer but some guys will do a two week backcountry excursion.  I like sleds but I would never claim range to be an advantage (unless you are referring to strictly a day run.)

Offline nOOky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 01:16:31 PM »
Hard to compare xc skiing to snowmobiling, that's like comparing motorcycling to mountain biking. I love to xc ski and snowshoe, however I hate it when snowmobiles go flying by. However I also like snowmobiling, it's very fun too, albeit more dangerous.

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 01:50:54 PM »
i think Mike's statement "Most people that have the quiet nature thing goin on will never get in far enough to see what we see." is 100% right on.  if I didn't think I'd kill myself on a sled, and if it snowed more here, I'd be all over it.

Also of note, if it snowed more here I might even get cross-country skis...  had them growing up and enjoyed them quite a bit.

a.s.

PKPK

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 05:19:34 PM »
I have no issue with sleds.  Grew up in a rural area where I had some fun with them.  I agree it complements motorcycling well.  I just have a problem when you guys try to rationalize the nature bit.  Have you actually cross country skied in the arrowhead?  I have a hard time believing I am "missing" something  because I am only going 30 miles, versus 300 miles.  A backcountry skier is going to have more options of off trailing than sleds would in most regulated areas.

PKPK

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 07:08:19 PM »
Mike, you didn't rub me the wrong way.  Just saying I disagree with the rationale that sledding somehow gets you closer to nature than skiing, hiking, backpacking, etc.  I've been hearing this sound bite more frequently the last few years.  It's starting to sound like a marketing ploy to me.  Guess I eat just enough granola in my diet as I get older.  :)

We have skied the trails extensively up near Grand Marais and Tofte.  I am very familiar with the trails up there.

BTW, I am against shutting down wilderness areas to motorized recreation, if that means anything here.

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 08:17:50 PM »
  Looks like I stirred the pot a bit ;D. I did some sledding years ago and enjoyed it most when I found a nice spot and shut the thing off. As far as the need for speed thing we certainly are getting on statistically with sledders and atvers doing themselves in-a bit like the suvers on the highways. Unfortunately so many of the victims in the first two groups aren't even of legal driving age. Let's not argue over this-I'm just looking for a companion or two for some winter get togethers(that is if my knee gets better-how fun snowblowing concrete is!).  GJ
john pierson

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 11:17:52 PM »
By far I don't see 30 has very far. For walking yes but for snowmobiling far is more like 60 to 100 miles in. For a snowmobile 30 miles is like 60 minutes of ridding. Skiers can go on our trails and I do see them but there are locations that I have seen that I would have thought a skier would have made the trip to take in the view and there are no tracks that they have ever been there. I think some of you don't think we ever stop but this is not true. We stop all the time to take in the view and the sound. I know that you don't have to go very deep into the woods to do this but this is something I always remember. Dave and I just bought brand new sleds that neither one of us have ever owned. We are up in the Arrowhead and we go out at midnight to ride the sleds for the first time. We go straight into it for more than 2 hours when we decide to stop to pee. It is dark and cloudy. We get off our machines and shut them off. The lights stay on for a time and then go off. We walk some distance from the sleds and go. And then the lights go out. It is so dark out that we can not see each other or are sleds. It must of took us 5 minute before we walk into them. Then to add to this because this was our first time on the things we didn't know where the start bottons were on the handle bars to get them started.We sure were laughing about this and we still do.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 11:54:40 PM by vince »

PKPK

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 11:42:03 PM »
Ummm, Mike, I made that statement as a way to express my support for motorized recreation in general.  Just so you wouldn't think I was on the side that wants to ban motors from recreation areas.  I'm not sure what or why you are reading anything into that and I see no reason to get all personal about it and there was nothing personal meant by it on my end.  Guess I'll  just not bother engaging any discussion at all next time.  Take care.