Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:22:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2011 Planning - Phase 1  (Read 8510 times)

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Planning - Phase 1
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 09:15:26 AM »
Quick Laguna Seca budget based on 10 days - 1 day out (about 24 hours of driving in shifts), 1 day back 6 days riding, 2 days at the races.

High cost of $1900 per person including transport cost, lodging, gas for 350mi/day riding, food

- 4 people go
- $3.30/gal gas
- $40/day food
- $50/night lodging outside of Monterrey
- $140/night in Monterrey
- Premium 3 day race package (w/parking)

Low cost - $1400

- 8 people go
- $3.10/gal gas
- $35/day food
- $40/night lodging outside of Monterrey
- $70/night lodging around Monterrey
- General admission 3 day race package (w/o parking)

This is way too long a trip for my time off schedule in 2011. I have other trips with the wife planned. I'm game for going out west, but 7 days (including travel days) is the extent of my availability. :(     My vote is for the Appalachians or the Ozarks but I understand the draw for some people to attend the races. 
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline flyinlow

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 12:44:20 PM »
Closer to home, Black Hills would be a good ride, might be less than a week, a little bit cheaper too.

Also, don't forget Texas Hill country, good riding down there, little bit further drive though.

Has anyone ridden in the SE Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, West VA areas? Car and Driver used to do alot of on-road tests in that area and always raved about the roads.

Here are some good websites for motorcycle roads

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/
http://www.tntrailsandbyways.com/
http://www.byways.org/
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/
http://www.openroadjourney.com/
http://www.sundaymorningrides.com/
http://www.pashnit.com/

This one looks particularly fun
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/routes/MidWest/OH/OH_20.shtml
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 12:50:45 PM by flyinlow »

2008 Ducati Monster S4Rs Tricolore

Vander

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 01:32:35 PM »
I may be headed to Hudson Bay next Spring... I've started a thread about it on the MNSBR board.

Let me know!

Offline Tumbler

• View Profile
    • Better Livivng Thru Mondern Chemistry
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 02:31:55 AM »
I'll have to keep tabs on this thread & details as they unfold.  I am definitely interested in at least one M/C trip this next season as long as the budget allows it.

With that said, I can also offer up a 3 place tilt M/C trailer that I've personally used to haul 3 f/s sportbikes down to San Antonio & back without a problem.

Look forward to seeing what details come up as time goes on!!
Mark Cell  612-910-3339    Business website: http://www.amway.com/justlivin
Check it out...great deals for riding season snacks & such!!

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 12:38:48 PM »
Whatever we decide, it should be in conjunction with an MSTA event such as the BS Rally or Friends of Freddy or the SE Ohio event whatever
it is called.

The Black Hills have some great roads but there are not enough of them to justify more than 1 to 1.5 days of riding. By the second day we were
hitting up the same roads over again. Maybe if the ride was extended into the Big Horn Mts and/or Cooke City and Yellowstone we could hit
additional fun roads with primo scenery (Beartooth Pass). Don't think there are any MSTA events out that way unfortunately.

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 03:51:01 PM »
Whatever we decide, it should be in conjunction with an MSTA event such as the BS Rally or Friends of Freddy or the SE Ohio event whatever
it is called.

The Black Hills have some great roads but there are not enough of them to justify more than 1 to 1.5 days of riding. By the second day we were
hitting up the same roads over again. Maybe if the ride was extended into the Big Horn Mts and/or Cooke City and Yellowstone we could hit
additional fun roads with primo scenery (Beartooth Pass). Don't think there are any MSTA events out that way unfortunately.

Make one :)

I am really thinking hard about doing a trip to the, Big Horns, in to Idaho, down into Utah, to Colorado.
Chris
----------

Offline flyinlow

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 06:28:32 PM »
it is called.

That sounds good, could make a week out of Black Hills, Yellowstone, Red Lodge

2008 Ducati Monster S4Rs Tricolore

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2010, 02:52:21 PM »
Anymore opinions on where we might go next year?  I'll happily go wherever is decided if the dates work out.

My first choice is the Ozarks.
They are only 10-11 hours away.
There are plenty of good roads to justify multiple days of riding.
There are at least 3, maybe 4 MSTA events we could schedule around. That gives us the flexibilty to get the most attendees.
We have MSTA members Greg, Jared, Ray, etc who have been there enough to have scouted out the good places to eat (and more importantly, those to avoid).
Lodging is more economical than some of the other places mentioned.

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2010, 03:13:48 PM »
Anymore opinions on where we might go next year?  I'll happily go wherever is decided if the dates work out.

My first choice is the Ozarks.
They are only 10-11 hours away.
There are plenty of good roads to justify multiple days of riding.
There are at least 3, maybe 4 MSTA events we could schedule around. That gives us the flexibilty to get the most attendees.
We have MSTA members Greg, Jared, Ray, etc who have been there enough to have scouted out the good places to eat (and more importantly, those to avoid).
Lodging is more economical than some of the other places mentioned.

My first choice is Arkansas as well, though a close 2nd would be the Appalachians.
I'd be a "no-show" if a trip forms that heads west for the races in Utah. Just too much time & money for me.
If a trip forms heading west, I'll probably coordinate another Arkansas trip with the usual suspects, though everyone is invited  :). As I said earlier, I'm open to going east as well.

Greg
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2010, 03:31:56 PM »
Arkansas is nice, I like it down there maybe a fall ride there :)

I am setting up 6 day trip 2 days in the truck 4 days on the bike riding.

We are going to start in Buffalo, Wyoming (784 miles from St Louis park. its St. Louis park to Harrison is 676 ) go through Yellowstone to Idaho the ride in Idaho for a day go down to Nevada over to Utah then back up to Wyoming we are going to be covering 450 miles per day.  I have no real interest in going to the races at Miller Motor Park, just to much money for me. I have figured out that with double occupancy in the hotel rooms and splitting the gas 4 ways this trip will cost about $780.00 per person.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 03:39:36 PM by Chris »
Chris
----------

Offline Jon

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2010, 10:39:23 AM »
I am in for this. However, without sounding too much like Lloyd (Gotcha!), it depends on who is going, there are some people I would not ride with in my own driveway let alone 2000+ miles away. The other side is I would ride anywhere with guys like Ray and Lloyd.....

Offline 4kless

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2010, 12:09:49 PM »
Chris - just a couple comments on your plan from having ridden that general area several times in the last few years..

- Avoid Yellowstone on the weekend. It's definitely worth doing, just know it will be impossible to make time that day.
- Make motel arragements for the area around Yellowstone (i.e. Red Lodge, Cooke City, Cody, Jackson or Idaho Falls) well in advance.
- Do go down past the Grand Tetons
- Most of NV and western UT is pretty boring.  I'd skip it in favor of North Central CO or the Sawtooth area of ID

Doug

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »
Jon, right now there are 4 1/2 ppl going 2 of them are not on the boards, but i am kind of selective who i ride with so if you like to ride with Lloyd, you will probably like rinding with us.

Thanks  doug.

Chris
----------

Offline Tim...

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2010, 07:37:16 PM »
Yawn for AK, yawn for CO, yawn for NC,  think outside the box.  What about the Maritimes, or BC?

Tim...

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2010, 10:54:18 PM »
Yawn for AK, yawn for CO, yawn for NC,  think outside the box.  What about the Maritimes, or BC?

Tim...

Never ridden AK (Alaska). I have ridden the Maritimes and driven BC and I'd prefer AR, CO or NC.

Just blocked out 6/25-7/3 to do STAR (Johnson City, TN) and 3 days of riding after the event.

Probably put something together like I did when STAR was in Asheville, that Vince, Roger and Tony did after I had to bag out.