Forum > General Banter

Keeping myself in check

(1/3) > >>

Greg:
I know there is at least one other prominent rider here that does this exact same thing and for the exact same reasons. I won't out him (or her) .... but here goes:

One way I keep my riding in check is that I've never had more than liability insurance for any of my bikes. I've always paid cash for my bikes, so I'm not tied to a financial institution and obligated to carry full coverage. For me this behavior has positive results.
1. It keeps my endorphins in check and I'm constantly aware when I'm on the bike that I'm paying myself for any f*ups I incur.
2. If anyone uses the argument against me, "You shouldn't ride that way as it costs all of us in higher rates" ... I can reply, "That may be true for some, but not me" .....

Works for me, but YMMV.

Greg

flyinlow:
Mine is more emotional than financial.

I've only had two crashes, a minor one about a month ago where a car hit me in Uptown, and the other was down by Welch village, totally my screwup. Bike was totaled and they took me into Red Wing to have me checked out. Some minor injuries, but my wife had to come and pick me up.

The look on her face alone was all I needed to remember that when I really feel like pushing it, I think about the impact of me being seriously hurt has on those around me.

I've told this to the "other" forums as well. If you don't care about yourself, that's fine, but think about the other people who will have to take care of your sorry ass when you're all banged up, or worse, paralyzed.

Greg:
errr, I'm not sure where this disconnect is, but we're not on the same page. I'm fully (life insurance, health insurance, short & long term disability as well) covered personally. I'm talking about the cost to repair the bike. :)

PKPK:
I also pay outright for the bikes but I do carry collision because my annual mileage varies between 15-20k and alot can go wrong in all those miles.  Plus something could happen that is not your fault but your insurance winds up having to pay for it anyway (deer or a hit and run.)

I do drop collision when the value drops to where the gap between a total and my deductible makes no sense to pay the extra for collision. 

vince:
I thought I was the only one to practice these things. I would go to parking lots and do this. I was doing this at two different track days and that why I got two of the black flags. I was told I was scaring every one. I was doing wheelies also but they did like that I was locking up the front tire or throwing the bike sideways coming into the corners.
As far as insurance goes liability cost about $90 a year for most anything. I buy all of my bike cash also and my racing was the same way. But I buy full coverage because over the years I have had two bikes stolen and it was nice to have them replace. Also my last series crash that almost did me in it was nice to have the bike repaired. I have a lot of bike and the insurance only cost me about $1000 for all of them so it its cheap.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version