Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:13:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gps help!  (Read 3056 times)

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
Gps help!
« on: October 25, 2010, 02:26:59 PM »
So I got a tom-tom xl335 a little while back and I've used it to find basic things like gas stations and directions home and things but I can't figure out how to download routes or make my own routes. I've heard tyre works good for making routes but I can't quite figure it out, help would be great considering the seasons almost over an we all wanna get a few good last autumn rides in ;)
"you thought you had it bad, try staring at his butt crack the last 50 miles"

Offline flyinlow

• View Profile
Re: Gps help!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 02:47:09 PM »
Two things you should try, go to www.gpsvisualizer.com, lots of good info out there on how to convert gps formats.

Also, do a search for ITN converter. It is a program you can put on your pc that will convert various gps file formats from one type to another. I believe ITN will convert a gpx file (gps exchange file) into a format that your TomTom can load.

2008 Ducati Monster S4Rs Tricolore

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 02:58:14 PM »
Okay thanks! Orginally I Connected my gps to the battery on my bike and long story short I fried it and had to get a new one and I'm finally getting around to figuring it all out. You got one on your bike as well?

Offline flyinlow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 03:04:16 PM »
Yes, I run a Garmin Streetpilot 2720. Its an older GPS, but it came with Mapsource, which is a map routing software package where I can create routes then load them into the GPS. I also use the resources I mentioned about to convert files so I can upload them, because my Garmin uses the gdb format.

I have mounts for the gps on both my bikes as well as in my vehicles.

Offline Joel S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 03:08:52 PM »
tomtom here i run on my c14. I have lots of routes and such saved on the card. mainly i use tyre, seems to work well foir me. also have route convertor installed but dont use it much.
16 FJR ES               More seat time, less feet time.

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 03:16:17 PM »
Okay so I downloaded tyre and I tried to make a route, the. All I need to do is convert it to tom-tom format? Also where could I find gps downloadeable routes
On mnstA?.. I appreciate the help guys

Offline flyinlow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 03:26:00 PM »
I have a link on the forum to a doc in google where there are links to various google maps that have been created by lots of different people.

http://mn-msta.com/index.php/topic,285.0.html

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 03:42:27 PM »
Oh wow there's a lotta roads already mapped out in there :) okay well I'll mess around with it and see if I can get them up and working

Offline Joel S

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 04:12:34 PM »
if you make a route, just add points on the google maps. Make sure you zoom close to your point. opposite direction on a split road or side road can screw the route up when your on it. don't do poi, save it as an itn in the itn folder. or under the tomtom tab, copy to tomtom.
i think the itn has a max of like 48 points, some routes will have tons and tons of points, routes are the way to import and not waypoints usually.

hope this makes sense,    beer, rain, disturbed (tunes), and a keyboard might not be working so well together at this time.
Joel

PS : if you use this to make a favorite in IE, if your viewing a route on the google link page, chick the favorite and it will ask to save it. then you can work with it.

javascript:(function(){var script=document.createElement('script');script.src='http://www.elsewhere.org/GMapToGPX/gmaptogpx.js';document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(script);})()
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 04:18:20 PM by JS_racer »

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 04:22:42 PM »
Yeah actually that makes a lot more sense now originally I was trying to set places as points of interest and it would only let me go to that individual point not using the route I made previously

Offline Joel S

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 04:27:28 PM »
if you have questions feel free to ask, you can call if we get confused. Otherwise Saturday you can ask more or see it work on the frosty beans err pumpkin ride.  :)

how do you have it mounted ??

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 04:44:34 PM »
Forum routes can be found here http://mn-msta.com/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=0

Descriptions of routes and discussion of them can be found here http://mn-msta.com/index.php/board,4.0.html

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 04:45:57 PM »
Haha sounds good, well I have a ram mount I'm using for my tpx radar detector right now and I just have the gps in a tank bag using a cigarette lighter adapter to give it power. It's pretty tight for space on the dash but this winter I'll work on some other handlebar mount possibly.. What's your setup?