Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:35:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Committed to a 4th Bike  (Read 5527 times)

Offline flyinlow

• View Profile
Re: Committed to a 4th Bike
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 07:10:43 PM »
They wanted to use KTM's, but KTM wouldn't support them, they didn't think they could make it.

Agreed, they overloaded the bikes with too much video equipment, and that first gen ABS on the BMW's sucked, because if it goes south, you lose the brakes. The new gen 2 abs is just like the rest, if it goes out, you just lose ABS, not your whole braking system.

2008 Ducati Monster S4Rs Tricolore

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 08:06:22 PM »
Not only did they over load their bikes, they picked bikes that were way too heavy to begin with.

Here are the wet weights of a variety of bikes they could have picked. Of course some of them don't include as much gas capacity and none of them include  bags, but even with these added it is clear they could have picked bikes which would have been roughly 200 lbs lighter.

R1200GS               570
KTM 990               528
KLR650               440
DR650               390
XR650R               350
KTM 690 Enduro       336

Me, thousands of miles of challenging riding including deep sand, mud, and ruts day after day, hard to imagine carrying an extra 200lbs being an advantage.

Offline Furiousgeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 12:10:17 AM »
Dualsport trips are like backpacking. The 1st trip your thinking is, it would be nice to have that, oh I could use one of those. You start to realize really quick that your just carrying a bunch of dead weight. Weight is your enemy and can make what would have been a fun day allot of work. Only take what you really need. Travel with someone. If your going to have any extra weight, make it water.

George
George
DR650

Offline allonm

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 06:04:01 PM »
Nice bike Ray, though not the most comfortable on long d/s rides. Is it the electric start version?

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 07:30:17 PM »
Nice bike Ray, though not the most comfortable on long d/s rides. Is it the electric start version?

Yeah, I read that it isn't very comfortable, but then again everyone say 916s aren't comfortable either. :)  I'm more concerned about the about the 39" seat height. I rode a KLX300R, which has a 36" seat height and that was fine, but I'm sure another 3" is going to completely preclude touching both feet simultaneously. Probably throw a lowering link and softer seat foam on it. Get off road boots with thick soles.

It is a kick start only bike too... Going back to the gym starting next week and taking the Marsh's dirtbike riding courses in the spring.

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2010, 05:57:11 AM »
I thought you bought a dual sport bike. You bought an enduro bike. A real dirt bike. Way to go. I'll go ridding with you anytime with that bike. Just go buy a plate for it and tell them you need it for insurance. I have one on my bike. Get a trail sticker at the same time.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 05:58:59 AM by vince »

Offline mngir1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2010, 04:44:26 PM »
Congrats on the new bike, Ray!  Glad to hear you're finally gonna get dirty!  :)

Offline Powershouse

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2010, 10:39:18 PM »
Yeah, but he's talking about riding in Mexico (I'm assuming Copper Canyon) and you are in no man's land there

No man's land indeed.  To quote Paul Streeter, "Going boldly forth where some people live every day."  Or something like that.

Anyhow, you can leave the ball pean hammer at home, they have plenty of rocks in Mexico.  They have welders too if you crack your frame or need to fab up a hardtail.

Offline Dazzle

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2010, 04:24:41 AM »
Picking it up Sunday.

Does that mean we can't go riding dirt on Sunday?  Actually, places to ride this weekend are in short supply.  Most of the state forests are closed as of November 1.  Nemadji would be open  but it is closed for gun deer season.  The real option would be Arkansaw Cycle Park which has some trails that aren't bad. Allon is certain to pipe in and offer a "dual surface" ride. If you are available Sunday let me know.
Dick Roles

Gonna need to buy dirt gear.....
[/quote]

Offline Dazzle

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2010, 06:19:07 AM »
Oops,
Arkansaw Cycle Park closed for the season.

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2010, 06:33:58 PM »
Yeah, but he's talking about riding in Mexico (I'm assuming Copper Canyon) and you are in no man's land there

No man's land indeed.  To quote Paul Streeter, "Going boldly forth where some people live every day."  Or something like that.

Anyhow, you can leave the ball pean hammer at home, they have plenty of rocks in Mexico.  They have welders too if you crack your frame or need to fab up a hardtail.

http://vimeo.com/13611503

Nice video! Good to see Rick. I thought we lost him to the IBA.

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2010, 06:35:08 PM »
Oops,
Arkansaw Cycle Park closed for the season.

Thanks for the offer Dick. Going to do the Swan ride on Sunday.

Offline allonm

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2010, 08:15:11 AM »
I plan on getting the red bike out from it's semi retirement tomorrow :).Though, if I remember correctly, not sure if I have enough rear tire for a full day.

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2010, 07:09:12 PM »
Saw your bike today. It looks pretty good a little ruff around the edges but in good shape. You have the right guy fixing it up for you. Your going to have a blast on that thing. Can't wait to see you ride it.

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2010, 08:09:47 AM »
Saw your bike today. It looks pretty good a little ruff around the edges but in good shape. You have the right guy fixing it up for you. Your going to have a blast on that thing. Can't wait to see you ride it.

Definitely a used bike, but given that I'll be learning and crashing appears to be part of learning to dirt ride buying something pristine would've been foolish. Hopefully Lloyd doesn't find anything mechanically wrong that I missed and I didn't buy too much of bike to learn on.