Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:19:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Looking to explore new music  (Read 7716 times)

Offline Elk

• View Profile
Re: Looking to explore new music
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 08:47:51 AM »
Mahler 1 is an excellent suggestion.  The third movement is fun for anyone that knows the nursery melody, Frère Jacques.  It's presented as a funeral march.  The movement also includes a Klezmer band.  Great fun.

Are you still playing?  (I am a trumpet player - still performing, and I do some work recording on-location classical concerts.)

Offline HSL

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 12:46:26 AM »
Wow, what an amazingly musical bunch here.  My own (somewhat neglected) passion is the piano, even though I play strictly as an amateur for home consumption.  I sure admire those who play in an orchestra or other (semi-)professional capacity.

Even though it seems that the OP has withdrawn from the conversation -- maybe still shellshocked from Das Lied von der Erde? -- I would second the recommendation to let things develop over time.  And I personally find getting acquainted with "new" music much easier in a life performance than from a recording.  That's particularly true with the large symphonic orchestras we are talking about here.

Also, as to symphonic works, I'd look to include some of the less popular contemporariers, like Bruch, Bruckner, or Saint-Saëns.  Everyone has their individual style, but they are part of a development that may be worthwhile to follow along if Mahler initially appears too intimidating.
2011 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 ABS

Offline motorrad

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 11:35:00 PM »
elk - I was playing pretty regularly until last year, when I took my current job which requires a reasonable amount of travel.  I would love to find somewhere I can play on occasion; but I need to do some practicing first :)
perhaps we should have a motorcycle night at the orchestra, seeing there are a few fans of classical music...

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 08:37:17 AM »
There are a number of community orchestras which are always looking for competent strings.  For example, the Wayzata Symphony Orchestra is quite good. (I record their concerts).

Offline motorrad

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 12:39:26 AM »
cool - thanks for the suggestion.  and also cool that you record their concerts!  I have a good friend who is a recording engineer and it's something I've admired for a while :)

Offline Kevin

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2011, 10:17:41 AM »
Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried some Mahler again but it is just too modern for me. Maybe
it will grow on me over time or maybe I just need to see one of his symphonies performed
in concert.

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2011, 10:45:12 PM »
I have never considered Mahler "modern," but I think I know what you mean.

Perhaps you would enjoy Bruckner.  Big like the other composers you like, but more straight forward than Mahler.

Offline Kevin

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2011, 12:49:53 PM »
I have never considered Mahler "modern," but I think I know what you mean.

Perhaps you would enjoy Bruckner.  Big like the other composers you like, but more straight forward than Mahler.

I found the last 6 symphonies of Bruckner at the library. They are long and monumental but not as spikey as Mahler's symphonies. I know I will be buying the 4th, 5th, 7th, 8th and 9th.

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2011, 08:57:42 PM »
Cool.  I am glad my suggestion was a good one. 

Do you know Shostakovich's 5th Symphony?  Many "non-classical" types like it a lot.  Here is the Finale:
2010 BBC Proms - Shostakovich's 5th Symphony (No. 5), 4th Movement (part 1 of 2)
  Dramatic, semi-modern but approachable.

Even more immediately appealing and fun is his Festive Overture (one of the pieces I recorded live this very afternoon).  Shostakovich : Festive Overture (The video's owner prevents external embedding)

Offline Kevin

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2011, 05:39:04 PM »
Any Shostakovich is new to me. I have no recordings of his music.
Interesting you should mention the 5th Symphany. The MN orchestra
is performing it Nov 12 and I have tickets :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 05:41:12 PM by Kevin »

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 02:50:07 PM »
Excellent! 

Let us know what you think.  It's big and emotional.

Offline Kevin

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2011, 03:29:53 PM »
Hi all,

Yes the symphony was big at 45 minutes. Very emotional too. There was more brass than I like but I found the symphony more approachable than the symphonies of Mahler. I still find I prefer Beethoven, Mendelssohn, Schubert, Brahms, Tchaikovsky, and Dvorak.

This performance we attended was the first time I have seen our orchestra split the violins left and right European style.

Offline Hope2Ride

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2011, 02:46:57 PM »
new music? here ya go, and you can't say it's bad until you've seen it!

LMFAO - Sexy and I Know It

2011 Honda CBR 250R